Windows 10: My New HP Laptop, Battery Question

  1.    25 May 2018 #1

    My New HP Laptop, Battery Question


    Well, my trusty Toshiba laptop died the other day. Wouldn't turn on at all (probably bad mother board). So, I went and purchased a new HP laptop, the same size and weight of my Toshiba (17" screen). My question has to do with the battery charging. My Toshiba charged to only 80%, whereas the HP charges to 100%. That being the case, would it be advisable to run the machine on battery power occasionally to benefit battery life? Many newer laptops don't have easily replaceable batteries, and I'd like to extend the life of mine as long as possible. I usually run my PC plugged in to AC, but still wish to preserve the battery. Thanks for your input.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 May 2018 #2

    Usually, the recommendation is run it on battery until it gets to 20% and repeat 2 or 3 times more to optimize charge cycles. I HATE when you can't just snap the battery out of these new laptops, like on my older HP. I always have mine out until I know I need it unplugged from power.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    25 May 2018 #3

    Most of the laptop manufacturers offer a utility or BIOS configuration to control the charge limit. Check to see if HP provides a way.

    For example, on my Dell:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	190197
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Home SL 64-bit, v1803
       25 May 2018 #4

    You can also remove the battery and keep the laptop plugged in too.

    It's normal for laptop batteries ti reduce charge limit over time. Even those brand new ones that are left unused and untouched will degrade it's life over time too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,289
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       25 May 2018 #5

    If a Notebook battery can't be readily removed the machine must be one of the newer thinner lighter models that requires taking the whole back off to get to the battery [or memory or drive]. It is a pain, Apple has been doing it with their MacBooks for awhile. I had a nice ASUS the same way that I gave my daughter. Some of them use lithium polymer batteries, can start to swell before going bad but that tends to bulge/push the palm rest beside the touchpad up, a visual/tactile effect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 889
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       25 May 2018 #6

    Mr Ed,

    Check for battery-related HP utilities in the Start menu and in Settings, System, Power & sleep [including using its Additional power settings link to get you to Control panel].

    You are only going to get reliable, up-to-date advice by asking HP Support. They are not bad as long as you keep refusing to accept non-answers so just keep repeating your question until you get something sensible in reply.

    Changes to battery materials & other technologies over the years have made much 'received wisdom' invalid. So you cannot rely on advice from other users in the way that you can for aspects of Windows' use.

    [I bought a new 17inch laptop a year & a bit ago but I wanted a touchscreen so I had to get a Dell {nobody else does such large touchscreens}. It has a permanently-fitted internal battery. Dell cannot even supply a replacement battery & nobody else in Europe bothers stocking them either.]

    Best of luck,
    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 May 2018 #7

    RoasterMen said: View Post
    You can also remove the battery and keep the laptop plugged in too.

    It's normal for laptop batteries ti reduce charge limit over time. Even those brand new ones that are left unused and untouched will degrade it's life over time too.
    That wouldn't be for me, Roastermen, since the battery is not easily accessible. But thanks anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 May 2018 #8

    Try3 said: View Post
    Mr Ed,

    Check for battery-related HP utilities in the Start menu and in Settings, System, Power & sleep [including using its Additional power settings link to get you to Control panel].

    You are only going to get reliable, up-to-date advice by asking HP Support. They are not bad as long as you keep refusing to accept non-answers so just keep repeating your question until you get something sensible in reply.

    Changes to battery materials & other technologies over the years have made much 'received wisdom' invalid. So you cannot rely on advice from other users in the way that you can for aspects of Windows' use.

    [I bought a new 17inch laptop a year & a bit ago but I wanted a touchscreen so I had to get a Dell {nobody else does such large touchscreens}. It has a permanently-fitted internal battery. Dell cannot even supply a replacement battery & nobody else in Europe bothers stocking them either.]

    Best of luck,
    Denis
    Thanks, Try3, I just posted the question on that forum. I'll see what they say. In the meantime, I may just run on battery on occasion as a precaution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    26 May 2018 #9

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Most of the laptop manufacturers offer a utility or BIOS configuration to control the charge limit. Check to see if HP provides a way.

    For example, on my Dell:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	190197
    Thanks, Polar Nettles but my HP doesn't offer that ability.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 889
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       26 May 2018 #10

    Mr Ed said: View Post
    I just posted the question on that forum
    I didn't mean their forum, I meant HP Support themselves. Since your computer is new, you are eligible for their help & this question is definitely a valid one if they have not installed battery utilities with explanations to guide you.

    If you have not already got notes about their points of contact, you can go to https://support.hp.com/checkwarranty and start from there.
    - When its results come up confirming your warranty coverage
    - you can click on the Contact support link near the top of the page and
    - from there you can click on a link for Contact options
    - that will allow you to open a Chat
    [by using this sequence of pages-links, your product details remain in their view so you should not have to repeat all your details when the Chat starts].
    Make a pot of Earl Grey tea before starting the Chat - my last Chat with them lasted over an hour.


    Best of luck,
    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
OS battery life hours estimate question in Performance & Maintenance
When off commercial power and on battery, is the 'time remaining' based upon the OS' experience with the installed battery/condition or simply based upon the time a certain spec battery 'should' last without regarding the actual health of the...
Solved HP Laptop battery ? in Drivers and Hardware
I recently bought an: HP ENVY x360 Convertible - 15aq193ms - Laptop - with a: 3-cell, 43-Wh, 2.83-Ah, Li-ion battery - according the Manual. I am not 100% sure on the battery, since I cannot find the exact model I have listed anywhere. I bought it...
Solved Battery Question in Drivers and Hardware
I recall that in the past, it was good for the battery to let it run down a certain amount, then let it charge up again. Is that still the current train of thought? My Toshiba laptop is used mostly plugged in to the mains. I note that it never...
Where to buy a laptop battery? in Drivers and Hardware
Trying to find a decent battery for my Y500, i know you can buy them off ebay, amazon etc but is there any other places? Or do you just take a chance and buy one from ebay?
[Laptop] Can't See Battery Level in Drivers and Hardware
After installing an Acer tool PowerSmart Manager to optimize my laptop's battery life, the battery icon disappeared from my notifications area. (This tool was meant for Windows 7). Not only that, but I can't check the battery levels (using either...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:57.
Find Us