Windows 10: New build pc not booting Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 May 2018 #1

    New build pc not booting


    Hi
    My grandson has just built his first PC, unfortunately it doesn’t work....nothing displays on the monitor, not even the Post messages....the monitor works ok on a different PC has been tried with the HDMI and VGA ports.

    the Mobo lights up and the cpu fan runs. I downloaded and checked the Mobo manual and can see only one direct power connection, I.e. the 24 pin strip.....is this the only connection, or maybe he has the wrong PSU...

    ned some help please..

    ASUS b250m plus. and the psu is a 450w corsair


    The mobo has an EPU socket which currently has nothing plugged into it ???
    thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       22 May 2018 #2

    reddwarf4ever said: View Post
    Hi
    My grandson has just built his first PC, unfortunately it doesn’t work....nothing displays on the monitor, not even the Post messages....the monitor works ok on a different PC has been tried with the HDMI and VGA ports.

    the Mobo lights up and the cpu fan runs. I downloaded and checked the Mobo manual and can see only one direct power connection, I.e. the 24 pin strip.....is this the only connection, or maybe he has the wrong PSU...

    ned some help please..

    ASUS b250m plus. and the psu is a 450w corsair

    thanks
    ASUS....
    This is a long shot... Look at lights behind memory slot and check which one is the last to light...

    Check this first: take out RAM and put only one back. Press it down firmly on both sides of the stick - not one side and then other, or you can like this, but one side doesn't have holder...

    Oh, just saw that last sentence.. empty socket? Can you post a picture? Think this is CPU power connector.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 20,081
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       22 May 2018 #3

    Please run through this POST check list / troubleshooting and report results into the thread:
    What is POST?
    POST troubleshooting steps
    Computer POST and beep codes
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 May 2018 #4

    Described as an EPU socket I believe, my grandson says the Corsair PSU does not have a plug for this



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B7B795C-A98D-4171-9CA9-1D942B67B39E.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	189832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBEC715F-9001-455C-A39E-8D02AC952547.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	189833
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       22 May 2018 #5

    reddwarf4ever said: View Post
    Described as an EPU socket I believe, my grandson says the Corsair PSU does not have a plug for this



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B7B795C-A98D-4171-9CA9-1D942B67B39E.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	189832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBEC715F-9001-455C-A39E-8D02AC952547.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	189833
    Yeah, it's the CPU power supply Maybe Corsair have 8 pin instead of four. Half of it should be detachable..
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    22 May 2018 #6

    The PSU has a 6 way and a two way marked pcie express, look like the same size but do not separate so couldn’t be used anyway..

    i thought ATX PSU’s were standard......think he is going to return and order a different one....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       22 May 2018 #7

    reddwarf4ever said: View Post
    The PSU has a 6 way and a two way marked pcie express, look like the same size but do not separate so couldn’t be used anyway..

    i thought ATX PSU’s were standard......think he is going to return and order a different one....
    look closely.. they can be separated at the mid. And plug is designed so, you can't stick it in wrongly (rounded)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	189838
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    22 May 2018 #8

    Have this picture of the 6 + 2 but. Suspect these Are PCI express plugs or am I wrong ?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35202F13-26EF-4142-8564-95B9DA614E80.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	189839Thanks have seh


    Sent this info to my grandson, will see if get a reply tomorrow

    thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       22 May 2018 #9

    reddwarf4ever said: View Post
    Thanks have sent this info to my grandson, will see if get a reply tomorrow

    thank you
    Tell him to check exact PSU model. There should be manuals on Corsair's site.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    22 May 2018 #10

    This is a bit embarrassing.....spoke to my grandson this morning and he said yes he does have an 8 pin plug with CPU on the side, but ignored it as he needed a 4 pin......I said several times that I had the same and it splits, but kids today just don’t seem to listen.....so frustrating


    so thanks for all your help.....on my advice he is going to change it for a 500 or 600W PSU, I said that 450W will most likely not be enough if he installs a graphic card later.......

    thanks
    Last edited by reddwarf4ever; 23 May 2018 at 03:31.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Not quite booting in Drivers and Hardware
Hi I moved my (switched on) laptop to another room today. When I arrived at the other end, the screen was blank (no problem so far, sometimse I squeeze the power button by mistake and put it into 'hibernate'.) Tried to turn it back on but...
After 15002 installed on my SP3 with Surface Dock, now when the machine boots up all goes well, I can login, and it begins to draw the desktop, then stops. I can move the mouse and play with desktop icons, but if I move down to the Start button or...
Need help booting!! in Installation and Upgrade
The laptop i was putting Windows 10 on to had a partition with Linux distro on it and once the Windows 10 install was done I went back in and deleted the partition and formatted it. But! I forgot to set the Windows partition as the active partition...
No booting with new build in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hello guys, I am currently working on a new build for my little brother. The specs are: mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer cpu: Intel i5 4460 / 3.2 Ghz + stock cooler memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport - 8GB 1600mhz psu: be quiet! Pure Power L7...
BSOD when booting up on Windows 10 Build 10532 in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Can anyone analyze this if it's a software/driver or hardware problem? experienced it today when rebooting.. Can't reboot 5 times on windows but luckily it reboots and afraid to do restart again until I found the problem. Thank you.. the minidump is...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:36.
Find Us