Windows 10: Epson V300 not working properly after April update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    11 May 2018 #21

    It's not solved after all. I'm back where I started and have done all I can do short of a clean install of Windows. The Epson V300 needs a new driver that works reliably with Build 1803.

    I wonder how many other scanners and printers have been rendered obsolete by Build 1803.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 May 2018 #22

    I would add that Epson support is utterly useless. In response to a detailed explanation of what was wrong, they sent me a simplistic form listing things to do: make sure the scanner is plugged in, press the button at the lower right to turn it on, etc. Their email said that if this did not answer your question, to please reply. So I replied, and they sent me a different irrelevant, simplistic form letter.

    It took 6 resets and two hangs on Preparing Automatic Repair to reboot the computer after Epson Scan failed this time. After I unplugged the scanner and uninstalled all the Epson software, the computer booted quickly on the first attempt.

    I think I'm going to order an Epson V370, which has a driver dated 2/3/2016. It should have a much greater probability of working with the latest Windows 10 build that the V300 with a driver from 2009.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 1803
       11 May 2018 #23

    john999 said: View Post
    It's not solved after all. I'm back where I started and have done all I can do short of a clean install of Windows. The Epson V300 needs a new driver that works reliably with Build 1803.

    I wonder how many other scanners and printers have been rendered obsolete by Build 1803.
    john999 said: View Post
    I would add that Epson support is utterly useless. In response to a detailed explanation of what was wrong, they sent me a simplistic form listing things to do: make sure the scanner is plugged in, press the button at the lower right to turn it on, etc. Their email said that if this did not answer your question, to please reply. So I replied, and they sent me a different irrelevant, simplistic form letter.

    It took 6 resets and two hangs on Preparing Automatic Repair to reboot the computer after Epson Scan failed this time. After I unplugged the scanner and uninstalled all the Epson software, the computer booted quickly on the first attempt.

    I think I'm going to order an Epson V370, which has a driver dated 2/3/2016. It should have a much greater probability of working with the latest Windows 10 build that the V300 with a driver from 2009.
    I was just going to say, I would have been very surprised to hear that you had fixed it since it definitely looks like some kind of software bug! I am sorry that you're still having issues with it though. If it helps, I found that you don't actually need to use the EPSON Scan software to scan from the printer. You can use the builtin windows scan tool, or I used Foxit Reader since I needed to create a PDF. Basically any program that uses the Windows Image Acquisition API will work. You just need to make sure you still have the scan driver installed and the printer is available in the Printers & Scanners window.

    I also reached out to EPSON support about this issue, and after going through a few initial troubleshooting steps, they want to talk to me over the phone about this. I'll try to give them a call within a few days and see if I can help alert them to this issue! Regarding buying another EPSON printer, are you sure you want to do that after this experience?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro 64
       12 May 2018 #24

    You can add me to the list. I have an Epson Perfection V500 Photo that was working just fine in Windows 10 before the April update. Now sometimes I cannot get any scans and other times I'll get 3 or 4 scans before the scanning software crashes (just like OP). I have tried to reinstall the software, run it as administrator and even run it in compatibility mode without success. I usually don't have to reboot the computer to resume scanning, I just end the crashed Epson Scan program and power cycle the scanner which allows me to scan a few more items before I have to do it again.

    Unfortunately, I cannot use the built-in Windows app (I did try) as I am scanning in some B&W and color negatives (medium format from the 50's & 60's). A new scanner is out of the question as the V800 is the only scanner that has updated drivers (2017) and way out of my price range. Luckily I still have access to a Windows 7 computer, I'll install the software on it and resume scanning my negatives. Hopefully someone figures out a workaround or Epson/Microsoft resolve the issue so that we can resuming scanning in Windows 10 with the Epson software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 May 2018 #25

    I downloaded the standard edition of VueScan ($39.95), and it works fine. It has all the functionality I ever used in Epson Scan and is just as easy to use. There was no need to uninstall Epson Scan. I downloaded VueScan, clicked Scan, and it scanned. I wish I had tried it before wasting time trying to get Epson Scan to work in Build 1803. Epson should license the standard edition of VueScan and give up trying to write software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 May 2018 #26

    john999 said: View Post
    I downloaded the standard edition of VueScan ($39.95), and it works fine. It has all the functionality I ever used in Epson Scan and is just as easy to use. There was no need to uninstall Epson Scan. I downloaded VueScan, clicked Scan, and it scanned. I wish I had tried it before wasting time trying to get Epson Scan to work in Build 1803. Epson should license the standard edition of VueScan and give up trying to write software.
    I just found out temporary fix for this issue. Right click on Epson Scan and choose Properties. Then choose Compatibility, click Change settings for all users. Tick run on compatibility mode, and choose Windows XP SP3. It works for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    21 May 2018 #27

    Unfortunately, running in compatibility mode didn't work for me. I changed Epson Scan to XP SP3 compatibility, rebooted, and ran Epson Scan, which locked up before scanning one page. I closed it in Task Manager, clicked on it again and got the standard error message. I rebooted and went back to VueScan, which is working fine. Now I'm having no problems with Build 1803 other than long boot times and occasional hangs during bootup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit
       24 May 2018 #28

    Hi,

    I have the exact same problem as you john999 with an Epson WF2660 and Epson Scan. I think I might have found a temporary solution:

    Everything works perfectly as before if I don't have Goolge Chrome open and I don't switch to another program while using the scanning software.

    As soon as I switch to any other program (such as MS Word or Excel) or if I have Chrome opened before starting up the scanning software, it stops working and gives the same symptoms as what you have described.

    I don't know why this is the case but do try it to see if it applies to you too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    25 May 2018 #29

    do not directly choose "run in compatibility mode". It won't work. Select "change settings for all users" first. And after that, choose "run in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP (SP3). Then OK. Your "run in compatibility mode" will be greyed out. (look screenshot)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compatibility mode.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	190121
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 5,152
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       26 May 2018 #30

    I have the Epson Perfection V30, just installed it on Win10 Version 1803 Build 17134.48 using the CD that came with it. Newest version on the disc is Win7. I ran the setup file without any modifications, installed fine. Then I updated to build .81, still working fine. I have gone to this site Epson Perfection V30 | Perfection Series | Scanners | Support | Epson US and downloaded the Win10 driver file against the possibility of needing it. This page shows driver epson13534.exe for the V300, same as used with the V30:
    Search v300 | Epson US
    But there are more choices for the V300, differing models.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I have a sades spirit wolf 7.1 headset and since the recent feature update it doesn't work at all when plugged in, as audio just continues out of my speakers. I've uinstalled and re-installed all related devices and drivers with no solution in...
Hi everyone! I noticed some months ago that Windows Update was not working properly. While fully connected to the internet, it told me: "we cannot connect to the updateservice ..." Looking at my internet connection, I noticed that inside Windows...
Hi there I have a folder / key in Regedit that I want to delete -- have given all privileges Exit regedit enter regedit again -- previous entry STILL in the registry -- same after reboot/ How do I SAVE changes -- if this tool is broken...
After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term ("Restore") on search bar next to the Start Button I get Best match: "Recovery, Control Panel" at the...
start not working properly after update in Windows Updates and Activation
After i have installed the last set of updates, i can no longer left click on start. When i click on the option to choose start up apps, everything is greyed out.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52.
Find Us