Windows 10: Wanting to use unallocated space on my hard drive, any dos and don'ts?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1.    08 Apr 2018 #31

    Well, I attempted the transfer 4 times, but I keep getting this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180408_231446.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	184008
    And just to confirm that it's the right path:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backup.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	184009
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    08 Apr 2018 #32

    It appears the folder is not accessible by "everyone". Check my pics in the post above and make sure to note the arrows, make sure that all 3 boxes are checked for Everyone in the box like mine. Then try again.

    EDIT: The laptop might need a reboot to enable the sharing without a password. I think mine made me log out and back in. If all the settings for sharing are correct and it still says it cannot write to the folder, reboot the laptop and wait a minute or two after it boots. Then try again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Apr 2018 #33

    Access Denied said: View Post
    It appears the folder is not accessible by "everyone". Check my pics in the post above and make sure to note the arrows, make sure that all 3 boxes are checked for Everyone in the box like mine. Then try again.
    EDIT: The laptop might need a reboot to enable the sharing without a password. I think mine made me log out and back in. If all the settings for sharing are correct and it still says it cannot write to the folder, reboot the laptop and wait a minute or two after it boots. Then try again.
    Well I made sure all boxes for that were checked and I rebooted my laptop upon your directions but it still keeps occuring.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    08 Apr 2018 #34

    My 2nd PC is setup for password sharing. I will attempt to set it for everyone and edit this post in a couple minutes to let you know if I had to do anything else. That PC is a clean install with basically nothing changed on it.

    EDIT: Ok, I think the issue might be the PC your backing up. If you have not. Shut it down totally. Then boot again from the Macrium USB. If you have not rebooted the PC since you shared the folder it might have only gathered the shares upon loading.

    EDIT2** My share on the 2nd PC worked after a couple minutes. I had write access to it using the same method I posted here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Apr 2018 #35

    Access Denied said: View Post
    My 2nd PC is setup for password sharing. I will attempt to set it for everyone and edit this post in a couple minutes to let you know if I had to do anything else. That PC is a clean install with basically nothing changed on it.

    EDIT: Ok, I think the issue might be the PC your backing up. If you have not. Shut it down totally. Then boot again from the Macrium USB. If you have not rebooted the PC since you shared the folder it might have only gathered the shares upon loading.

    EDIT2** My share on the 2nd PC worked after a couple minutes. I had write access to it using the same method I posted here.
    Nope, still no joy.

    Just some information that might be important, but I had to enter the path manually by typing down the exact characters to match that of what is said on the network path on the backup folder's properties menu. Browsing for it only gives me the network directory with nothing in it:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180408_235212.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	184012

    Network originally had an arrow, but clicking on it caused the cursor to buffer before finishing with the arrow gone, indicating there's no further directory to select to which I assume should be there.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    08 Apr 2018 #36

    I am pretty sure I had to type out the path when I used Macrium USB on my 2nd PC to backup/restore from this PC. I would try typing the name out again and see. After rebooting the PC it should have worked with the full path. I will reboot my 2nd PC to the usb and double check. I am 99.9% it works typing the name.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Apr 2018 #37

    Access Denied said: View Post
    I am pretty sure I had to type out the path when I used Macrium USB on my 2nd PC to backup/restore from this PC. I would try typing the name out again and see. After rebooting the PC it should have worked with the full path. I will reboot my 2nd PC to the usb and double check. I am 99.9% it works typing the name.
    Just entered the characters to match that of the path, confirmed they are correct, started transfer, error still occurs.

    Edit: I wonder if my desktop (the physical desktop PC) is even connected to the network?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    08 Apr 2018 #38

    I just had the same problem trying to write over the network from the USB. I had to use this PC and try to back to the older one. The older one takes 9 years literally to boot from USB. I did get a box that asked for user name and password but I still could not access the folder. I will post a new message once I can figure this out. Hopefully won't take long.

    EDIT: taking a few minutes longer than I wanted. I am renaming the 2nd pc to something simple. It boots kinda slow. Older 5400rpm hdd.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Apr 2018 #39

    I enabled public folders sharing in the All Networks. I have write access while in windows. Booting to USB now to see if I can write there from Macrium.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Apr 2018 #40

    OK, FINALLY LOL. I enabled the Public Folders in the All Networks section of the sharing options.

    I had write access over the network. I did have to type the path in full but it worked once I changed to allow public folders.

    The path was \\PCNAME\Users\Public\Public Downloads

    The backup started up. I surely hope this works for you. Sorry it took so long.
    Last edited by Access Denied; 08 Apr 2018 at 23:52. Reason: fixed error
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Related Threads
ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this drive i just want access to the full size of the drive. can someone please help me out on how i...
I cannot use this unallocated space for creating a new drive or expanding an existing one. This thread will give you the history. Unallocated Space Recovery
Raided hard drive unallocated in Drivers and Hardware
Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture ...
Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm.
Hi, I dont know why this happened, but my USB drive (64 GB Transcend) ended up with half its storage capacity being unallocated. I have tried Windows Disk Manager to have it allocated again in order to partition it, but to no avail. When I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:14.
Find Us