Windows 10: Wanting to use unallocated space on my hard drive, any dos and don'ts?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Apr 2018 #11

    Here's a screenshot of Partition Wizard:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PW.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	183826
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 786
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       07 Apr 2018 #12

    ACMDogfight1997 said: View Post
    Do you mean a system restore point? I don't know if I can backup 766 GB of data somewhere.
    Until your prepared to back up your system and data, I would not mess with any partitions or any other disk operations you can easily lose or corrupt your data.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    07 Apr 2018 #13

    Clintlgm said: View Post
    Until your prepared to back up your system and data, I would not mess with any partitions or any other disk operations you can easily lose or corrupt your data.
    Well, I thank you for your warning because now Windows won't boot after I was prompted to restart to apply changes to Partition Wizard. Fortunately, I transferred all my important files to my laptop and I have a Windows 10 installation disc that came with my PC when I bought it. Upon going into Windows Setup, it appears that C: has been untouched, but I need to install Windows somewhere to access them again:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180407_174203.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	183891

    Ignore the bottom photo, I'm not use to sending pictures from my phone to a PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180407_170738.jpg  
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    07 Apr 2018 #14

    I'm guessing I should install Windows on the 100 GB partition?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro Build 17074.rs_prerelease_flt.180116-1539
       07 Apr 2018 #15

    ACMDogfight1997 said: View Post
    I'm guessing I should install Windows on the 100 GB partition?
    That'd be unnecessary...assuming all your files and Windows data is there you can either use startup repair or restore the master boot record and hopefully be able to just boot into Windows like usual...

    Try clicking Repair your computer and then startup repair. If that doesn't fix your problem, look into restoring your MBR.
    Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

    (not liable for damages to your PC, although I don't think damage can be done while attempting to fix your MBR)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 Apr 2018 #16

    I always delete all the partitions and then let Windows install on the free space. However, this may not be the best choice for you. If you want to try to fix the booting issue, there are other methods you can try. If you are wanting to start fresh, then by all means delete the partitions you see and choose the one large free space left for windows. It will create all the necessary partitions during install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,435
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       08 Apr 2018 #17

    Do not re-install Windows. It's easy to fix the boot problem. Boot up the Installation disk, press SHIFT+F10 to open command prompt then type:

    mountvol U: /s
    del /s /f /q U:\efi\*.*
    bcdboot c:\windows /s U: /f UEFI


    Reboot
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Apr 2018 #18

    Well, for those who just replied to my previous two posts, I'm sorry but I just installed Windows on the 100 GB partition before I any of you responded because I was getting impatient. After this, everything succeeded and I was able to access everything I had before, albeit it's a different partition now (it's D: instead of C:). So by then, I had to deal with getting all my stuff back to the proper partition and I did so by managing to find and launch Partition Wizard again to merge C: and D: but there's a new problem now, unfortunately. After letting Partition Wizard do it's thing following a reboot, I was able to have Windows boot again and login again, but after doing so took a few minutes of "Preparing Windows" and eventually I came to a black screen with only the cursor visible.

    I let it sit for a while to see if it would do anything else and unfortunately, after several or so minutes, still nothing's happened. Now I'm afraid I may have lost everything I had on it (except the stuff that I copied and transferred on to my laptop) because if the merging didn't properly happen and/or I don't know where else to install Windows again if I have to. I hope I'm wrong.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro Build 17074.rs_prerelease_flt.180116-1539
       08 Apr 2018 #19

    ACMDogfight1997 said: View Post
    Well, for those who just replied to my previous two posts, I'm sorry but I just installed Windows on the 100 GB partition before I any of you responded because I was getting impatient. After this, everything succeeded and I was able to access everything I had before, albeit it's a different partition now (it's D: instead of C:). So by then, I had to deal with getting all my stuff back to the proper partition and I did so by managing to find and launch Partition Wizard again to merge C: and D: but there's a new problem now, unfortunately. After letting Partition Wizard do it's thing following a reboot, I was able to have Windows boot again and login again, but after doing so took a few minutes of "Preparing Windows" and eventually I came to a black screen with only the cursor visible.

    I let it sit for a while to see if it would do anything else and unfortunately, after several or so minutes, still nothing's happened. Now I'm afraid I may have lost everything I had on it (except the stuff that I copied and transferred on to my laptop) because if the merging didn't properly happen and/or I don't know where else to install Windows again if I have to. I hope I'm wrong.
    According to a Microsoft forum moderator, this type of issue can happen as a result of corrupted or missing Windows files. If you have the chance, try running the Windows install disc/flash drive and seeing if the partitions were created/merged successfully, with the expected storage sizes/free space/used space, etc. If that is the case, you might be able to launch startup repair or (if startup repair doesn't fix the issue) command prompt and using the "sfc /scannow" command (without quotation marks).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Apr 2018 #20

    z609 said: View Post
    According to a Microsoft forum moderator, this type of issue can happen as a result of corrupted or missing Windows files. If you have the chance, try running the Windows install disc/flash drive and seeing if the partitions were created/merged successfully, with the expected storage sizes/free space/used space, etc. If that is the case, you might be able to launch startup repair or (if startup repair doesn't fix the issue) command prompt and using the "sfc /scannow" command (without quotation marks).
    Well, the partitions were merged as the partition with my files is now 930 GB in size (as opposed to 830 GB previously).

    Performed Startup Repair, says it couldn't repair.

    Launched Command Prompt and entered sfc /scannow, says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

    So now what?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this drive i just want access to the full size of the drive. can someone please help me out on how i...
I cannot use this unallocated space for creating a new drive or expanding an existing one. This thread will give you the history. Unallocated Space Recovery
Raided hard drive unallocated in Drivers and Hardware
Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture ...
Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm.
Hi, I dont know why this happened, but my USB drive (64 GB Transcend) ended up with half its storage capacity being unallocated. I have tried Windows Disk Manager to have it allocated again in order to partition it, but to no avail. When I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.
Find Us