SSD Life Left Question

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Access Denied's Avatar
    Posts : 11,044
    Win10 x64
       #1

    SSD Life Left Question


    I have an older Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and noticed running CrystalDiskInfoPortable that it was at 81% life. I ran HD Sentinel and it says the SSD has 128 days left. However I ran SSD-Life and it says it has 8 years left. I also ran SsdReady and it says Approx ssd life: 7.9 years.

    This SSD has been in use since Oct 2013 and on 24/7 for about 95% of the time. Here are the Crystal Disk stats:

    Attachment 183297

    I am hoping the two latter tests are more accurate than HD Sentinel by a long margin. What do you guys think?
      My Computer

  2. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #2

    Access Denied said:
    I have an older Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and noticed running CrystalDiskInfoPortable that it was at 81% life. I ran HD Sentinel and it says the SSD has 128 days left. However I ran SSD-Life and it says it has 8 years left. I also ran SsdReady and it says Approx ssd life: 7.9 years.

    This SSD has been in use since Oct 2013 and on 24/7 for about 95% of the time. Here are the Crystal Disk stats:

    Attachment 183297

    I am hoping the two latter tests are more accurate than HD Sentinel by a long margin. What do you guys think?
    At 81%, drive is showing serious degradation, and failure rate is very likely to accelerate. The 8 years is only a linear extrapolation and will be way out (as time moves on, less to fail, and what is left is worked harder). Equally the other is probably overstating case but who knows by how much, as it depends very much on how you use drive.

    Frankly, I would image backup ssd now, buy a new one NOW, and only use old one for non critical backup data or bin it.
      My Computer

  3. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,654
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #3

    Since there has been absolutely NO errors on the drive, it's safe to use.

    81% Health is just a life expectancy counter coming from the S.M.A.R.T. algorithms. Most probably from amount of writes done.

    I have seen worse numbers than that on devices running for many years since.
      My Computers

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #4

    slicendice said:
    Since there has been absolutely NO errors on the drive, it's safe to use.

    81% Health is just a life expectancy counter coming from the S.M.A.R.T. algorithms. Most probably from amount of writes done.

    I have seen worse numbers than that on devices running for many years since.
    There is no way of telling real life expectancy. In reality, ssd drives fail these days more often due to the interface electronics dying as drive gets old than the actual read/write life.

    In simple terms drive is getting old.

    Expect it to fail, and plan for that failure - best plan of course being the Tenforum mantra "regular image backups".
      My Computer

  5. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,654
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #5

    cereberus said:
    There is no way of telling real life expectancy. In reality, ssd drives fail these days more often due to the interface electronics dying as drive gets old than the actual read/write life.

    In simple terms drive is getting old.

    Expect it to fail, and plan for that failure - best plan of course being the Tenforum mantra "regular image backups".
    So are you saying my SSD with similar numbers as the OPs, is getting old and will fail soon? I only have 2TB of total writes, which is way lower than OPs. :)

    It's only 6months old and still performs as good as a brand new SSD.

    I'd say, once the drive starts to get a few fail and error, then one should replace the drive (since this can escalate really fast), not just because the overall health status % is lower than 100%.
      My Computers

  6. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,830
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #6

    Something the OP can try is a Secure Erase.
    See if your motherboard BIOS has the option, or, is the software for your SSD has that option.

    If not do a search for a 3rd party utility like Parted Magic(you will need to switch BIOS from UEFI safe boot, to CSM to boot into the bootable USB probably).
      My Computers

  7. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #7

    slicendice said:
    So are you saying my SSD with similar numbers as the OPs, is getting old and will fail soon? I only have 2TB of total writes, which is way lower than OPs. :)

    It's only 6months old and still performs as good as a brand new SSD.

    I'd say, once the drive starts to get a few fail and error, then one should replace the drive (since this can escalate really fast), not just because the overall health status % is lower than 100%.
    Hold on, OP said his drive was old - who was talking about your drives?

    I was just talking generally - ALL drives (ssd or hdd) fail eventually, and failure rates accelerate as they get older and NOBODY can predict when.

    Planning for failure is sound advice even if drive is 1 day old.

    Many older drives just fail suddenly with NO warning. That is totally unpredictable, but one thing is for sure, the probability increases as drive gets older.

    The decision to replace is a purely a personal decision. If OP chooses to carry on, that is his choice but OP should plan for failure.
      My Computer

  8. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,654
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #8

    @cereberus

    A 4-5 years old SSD is not old. Far from it. I still run storage and other hardware from the 80's without any issues. NOW THAT IS OLD!
      My Computers

  9. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,654
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #9

    Cliff S said:
    Something the OP can try is a Secure Erase.
    See if your motherboard BIOS has the option, or, is the software for your SSD has that option.

    If not do a search for a 3rd party utility like Parted Magic(you will need to switch BIOS from UEFI safe boot, to CSM to boot into the bootable USB probably).
    What is this going to accomplish regarding life expectancy? Care to elaborate a bit further? Is the purpose to make sure the OP does a full bit by bit write and makes sure the S.M.A.R.T. stats are updated to accurate numbers?
      My Computers

  10. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #10

    slicendice said:
    @cereberus

    A 4-5 years old SSD is not old. Far from it. I still run storage and other hardware from the 80's without any issues. NOW THAT IS OLD!
    Old is a relative term. In modern manufacturing, manufacturers use planned obsocelence i.e. they use components with an average planned life expectancy. This cuts down the cost of components, and overall costs.

    In fact, the vendors want devices to last long enough that they do not get a bad reputation for early failure, but not so long that they shoot themselves in the foot for future sales.

    I actually do a fair bit of risk anaylsis for offshore, and a general trend in ANY device is as follows.

    Failure rates are low in initial life but always increase a bit (after initial warrant expires of course), then failure rates are fairly steady in mid life, but then start to increase significantly continually upwards towards end of life.

    No one can say I have this device that has lasted years, so all will. A person can say I have had one hundred of these and they have been statistically proven to have a good life expectancy.

    IMO 4 to 5 years is really towards the end of mid life for most modern electronics, and failure rates are very likely to increase for drives over five years old.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums