New laptop with SSD, partitioning?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    28 Mar 2018 #11

    I suppose this is the wrong forum for my current problem?

    I bought an Advent USB 7-port hub (powered) but when I plug my two M3 USB 1 TB drives into the hub they are not recognised. I then plugged one directly into the remaining USB socket on the notebook and this time it is seen by 'Safely Remove Hardware etc.) but again, it is not recognised by Disk Management or File Explorer.

    The USB connector from the hub is connected to the other USB port on the notebook. I've tried 'finding' the drives in Add a device and that does show unknown with what could be a drive icon.

    So I don't know what is at fault and I cannot do my Reflect backup image!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,503
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       28 Mar 2018 #12

    For the original partitioning question, my experience is about Microsoft Office, can be installed on a different partition but have seen where upwards of 2/3rds of the program will still be installed on the same partition as Windows in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending upon which version it is, 32-bit or 64-bit. It's probably due to the interaction/intermingling with Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,777
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       28 Mar 2018 #13

    bertie11 said: View Post
    I suppose this is the wrong forum for my current problem?

    I bought an Advent USB 7-port hub (powered) but when I plug my two M3 USB 1 TB drives into the hub they are not recognised. I then plugged one directly into the remaining USB socket on the notebook and this time it is seen by 'Safely Remove Hardware etc.) but again, it is not recognised by Disk Management or File Explorer.

    The USB connector from the hub is connected to the other USB port on the notebook. I've tried 'finding' the drives in Add a device and that does show unknown with what could be a drive icon.

    So I don't know what is at fault and I cannot do my Reflect backup image!
    Bertie, this problem also belongs in Drivers and Hardware; however, you'll get more help if you post it separately from this thread and give it a proper title, such as "External Drives not Recognized on Advent Hub".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Mar 2018 #14

    My apologies Wynona, I think I've sorted it now anyway. The hub is faulty.

    And I have now taken an image of C:\ onto Macrion Reflect!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,777
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       28 Mar 2018 #15

    bertie11 said: View Post
    My apologies Wynona, I think I've sorted it now anyway. The hub is faulty.

    And I have now taken an image of C:\ onto Macrion Reflect!
    No apology necessary, Bertie. I was just explaining that you'd get more help with a new thread with the proper name, rather than leave the problem here under the current name.

    I'm glad you found out the hub was faulty before you spent too much time on it.

    I'm just now learning the power of Macrium Reflect; it's fantastic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Mar 2018 #16

    Wynona said: View Post
    No apology necessary, Bertie. I was just explaining that you'd get more help with a new thread with the proper name, rather than leave the problem here under the current name.

    I'm glad you found out the hub was faulty before you spent too much time on it.

    I'm just now learning the power of Macrium Reflect; it's fantastic.
    I have to admit, that every time I need to do a system restore, no matter when software I use, I always get the the 'abdabs' when my finger hovers over the 'fire' button. Having said that, of the programs I have used, Reflect has been the most reliable. Even so, they all have this, to me, upsetting way of giving incorrect drive letters from the original. I have learnt to get round that by naming each drive so that I can pick out the right one but seeing C:\ become E:\ is disconcerting!

    I still haven't decided what to do about partitioning, I have used 42.5GB so far of the 256GB and I suppose I have to decide what to store on the rest. There will be a few more programs to add yet but I suppose I should use some space for my stuff like e-mails, documents, Quicken, and a few more odds and ends. Photos and music will go onto one of the 2xM3 1TB drives along with Macrium images.

    Probably I just need to go along with that and see how I go with that, over time it may becpme clearer what to do. In the past I have had my 'extra' programs on a seperate partition from Windows so I just had a lightweight system to restore.

    Another query, might be wrong forum?), do you all just use one imaging program? And do you just do one image to one disk or two to seperate disks? Belt and braces?

    Thanks all for help.
    Last edited by bertie11; 29 Mar 2018 at 14:32.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Mar 2018 #17

    For SSD, thereís no such thing as the transfer rate differential. The spinning disk and the read/write head in traditional hard drive have been replaced by multiple memories. Since thereís no moving mechanical component in SSD, the transfer rate of different memory chips in an SSD are almost the same. SSD wonít confine the data to a particular physical region of it. Thus you donít need to partition an SSD if you just want to get better performance from it. But you can still partition an SSD for organizational purpose. Cause the capacity of your SSD is 256GB, you can divide it into 2 or 3 partitions. Here is the source of partition SSD. Wish this could help you~ https://www.disk-partition.com/ssd-management/is-it-good-to-partition-ssd.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 854
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       29 Mar 2018 #18

    bertie11 said: View Post
    I have to admit, that every time I need to do a system restore, no matter when software I use, I always get the the 'abdabs' when my finger hovers over the 'fire' button. Having said that, of the programs I have used, Reflect has been the most reliable. Even so, they all have this, to me, upsetting way of giving incorrect drive letters from the original. I have learnt to get round that by naming each drive so that I can pick out the right one but seeing C:\ become E:\ is disconcerting!

    I still haven't decided what to do about partitioning, I have used 42.5GB so far of the 256GB and I suppose I have to decide what to store on the rest. There will be a few more programs to add yet but I suppose I should use some space for my stuff like e-mails, documents, Quicken, and a few more odds and ends. Photos and music will go onto one of the 2xM3 1TB drives along with Macrium images.

    Probably I just need to go along with that and see how I go with that, over time it may becpme clearer what to do. In the past I have had my 'extra' programs on a seperate partition from Windows so I just had a lightweight system to restore.

    Another query, might be wrong forum?), do you all just use one imaging program? And do you just do one image to one disk or two to seperate disks? Belt and braces?

    Thanks all for help.
    On backing up I back up to an internal hard drive and external eSata drive and Cloud for data only, my notebook is cloud for data only and a 4 TB WD Passport Ultra
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,676
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       30 Mar 2018 #19

    bertie11 said: View Post
    I have to admit, that every time I need to do a system restore, no matter when software I use, I always get the the 'abdabs' when my finger hovers over the 'fire' button. Having said that, of the programs I have used, Reflect has been the most reliable. Even so, they all have this, to me, upsetting way of giving incorrect drive letters from the original. I have learnt to get round that by naming each drive so that I can pick out the right one but seeing C:\ become E:\ is disconcerting!

    I still haven't decided what to do about partitioning, I have used 42.5GB so far of the 256GB and I suppose I have to decide what to store on the rest. There will be a few more programs to add yet but I suppose I should use some space for my stuff like e-mails, documents, Quicken, and a few more odds and ends. Photos and music will go onto one of the 2xM3 1TB drives along with Macrium images.

    Probably I just need to go along with that and see how I go with that, over time it may becpme clearer what to do. In the past I have had my 'extra' programs on a seperate partition from Windows so I just had a lightweight system to restore.

    Another query, might be wrong forum?), do you all just use one imaging program? And do you just do one image to one disk or two to seperate disks? Belt and braces?

    Thanks all for help.
    Doing two images to separate external drives is not a bad idea at all. I do some-what-daily backups to one drive, but always on the weekend do an image to a separate drive. Both kept unplugged, of course, when not in use. Far as multiple software, no need....settle on one and get used to it, test it (meaning actually restore an image....), do regular backups, keep them safe. Keep your product keys also on paper somewhere safe. Common sense stuff...... :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Partitioning in Installation and Upgrade
I've noticed that some of the "Big Dogs" here have Windows 10 installed on One Primary Partition. My question is, what would be the Advantages or Disadvantages of this type of partitioning? Also, what about the same scheme with GPT, Only One...
Disk partitioning in Drivers and Hardware
Hello,I have a new made full system image with Macrium.1. Is it possible to use this image on another computer, with different partition sizes on the hard disk.Disks are formated the same.2. Is it possible to resize an existing partition with system...
Solved partitioning in Drivers and Hardware
Win10 .When I partition my 500gb hdd into two partitions (c&d) can I again shrink the c partition. I need it to be smaller than the 217 gb that win10 makes it.
Solved Partitioning in Installation and Upgrade
I want to install Win 10 from scratch. For that I have created a bootable USB and downloaded everything. But I just wanted to confirm about partitioning the partitions. My Previous Win 10 was installed in C:\ and I want to install Win 10 in the same...
Solved partitioning in General Support
I have never partitioned a hdd so my question is-----can I take my 500gb hdd ,which has win10 installed , partition it into two 250gb sections then clone win 10 into the second partition then do a clean install on the fist partition? Win 10 is...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.
Find Us