Windows 10: M.2 ssd's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Feb 2018 #1

    M.2 ssd's


    Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2
    and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type.
    would it fit?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    27 Feb 2018 #2

    Yes....this is from your manual.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M.2.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	178774

    The 2242/2260/2280/22110 designate the size of M.2 it is, where the first 2 digits are width last 2 digits are the length. It's in mm (millimeters). Your board supports all lengths.

    Here's one from newegg.com......
    SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive MZ-V6E500BW - Newegg.com

    click on specs then scroll down to the bottom and you see it's dimensions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Feb 2018 #3

    Please advise if you notice a significant speed improvement after this upgrade.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    28 Feb 2018 #4

    Steve C said: View Post
    Please advise if you notice a significant speed improvement after this upgrade.
    Well. I didn't in normal use although it's at least 2 times as fast as SATA SSDs. Shaved a second or two from BOOT times and as much on opening programs installed on it. I bought it because it was a deal I couldn't resist and all my SATA ports are in use.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    28 Feb 2018 #5

    CountMike said: View Post
    Well. I didn't in normal use although it's at least 2 times as fast as SATA SSDs. Shaved a second or two from BOOT times and as much on opening programs installed on it. I bought it because it was a deal I couldn't resist and all my SATA ports are in use.
    Question: With your mobo that has the M.2 SSD, when adding it does it take away 2 of your SATA ports. I only has because of mine, which does because of the shared lanes, I lose 2 SATA ports. Have they fixed that with the latest mobo's?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Feb 2018 #6

    Plankton said: View Post
    Question: With your mobo that has the M.2 SSD, when adding it does it take away 2 of your SATA ports. I only has because of mine, which does because of the shared lanes, I lose 2 SATA ports. Have they fixed that with the latest mobo's?
    No, it doesn't, all 10 SATA are available.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    28 Feb 2018 #7

    I had noticed speed increase in boot times but general daily use doesn't alter that much.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 427
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       28 Feb 2018 #8

    Plankton said: View Post
    Yes....this is from your manual.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M.2.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	178774

    The 2242/2260/2280/22110 designate the size of M.2 it is, where the first 2 digits are width last 2 digits are the length. It's in mm (millimeters). Your board supports all lengths.

    Here's one from newegg.com......
    SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive MZ-V6E500BW - Newegg.com

    click on specs then scroll down to the bottom and you see it's dimensions.
    At the bottom of the pic, it says to change SATA mode with SATA Express. How do you do that?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    28 Feb 2018 #9

    In BIOS I guess.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    28 Feb 2018 #10

    I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5577 model laptop last summer (is sold as a gaming laptop but I bought it for use in my recording studio). It has a 7th gen i5 CPU and an M.2 SSD. I haven't actually timed it, but visually it boots as fast as my i7 6700K desktop that has an EVO 850 SSD. Same way opening programs, visually as fast as the desktop.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.
Find Us