Windows 10: Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up! Solved

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,152
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       20 Feb 2018 #41

    zbook said: View Post
    Windows updates have been causing problems with peripherals.
    As Siv noted see if removing: KB407588 fixes the problem.

    This is a link where they had success after removing the Windows update:

    Mouse listed as
    The correct number for the update is KB4074588.

    So far the only problem I've seen with the keyboard and mouse has been having them plugged into the USB 3 ports during the update or an Upgrade. Using USB 2 ports has worked as the BIOS supports them while the OS has to load to get drivers for USB 3. None of the keyboards and mice I've dealt with over the last several years have come with their own drivers except for a couple of 'fancy' mice similar to those used by gamers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Feb 2018 #42

    zbook said: View Post
    See if you can get into safe mode by using the hardware method.
    Then when in safe mode see if you can use either the keyboard or mouse.
    If you cannot get into safe mode see if you can get into the bios.
    If you can somehow get into the bios you can then modify the boot order.
    If all of the above fail see if you can get either a mouse or keyboad that do not use USB and use PS/2 port.
    Perhaps a PS/2 port may give you a working keyboard or mouse.

    The hardware method to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu is:
    a) power on and as soon as you see the microsoft icon power off.
    b) power on again and as soon as you see the microsoft icon power off.
    c) this is the third power on and this time let it advance to:
    preparing automatic repair
    diagnosing your PC
    advanced troubleshooting menu
    If the mouse and/or keyboard do not work when in safe mode then see if you can find PS/2 peripherals.
    Thanks, but I tried the hardware method that you described and was unable to get it to work. Specifically, I went through the power on and power off cycle that you describe four times, and still could not access the advanced troubleshooting menu; the PC simply continued to boot to the desktop.

    I am now able to get into the BIOS setup, but changing the boot order is of no help to me.

    Regarding the option of using a PS/2 port, my PC does not have one.

    Thanks again for your suggestions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 19,218
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       20 Feb 2018 #43

    These are 2 additional links:
    In the first one a reply indicated that they had installed a new card on the computer to get function
    The other was from Microsoft requesting feedback on the USB problem.

    Report of the Win10 1709 cumulative update KB 4074588 disabling USB devices @ AskWoody

    Filing USB feedback with Repro Mode in Windows 10 Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog

    If you can get into the BIOS and change the boot order then you may be able to boot to a windows 10 iso.
    If you can boot to a windows 10 iso then it is another opportunity to see if you can use keyboard or mouse.
    If you can use keyboard or mouse in the Windows recovery environment then there are possible troubleshooting options.
    Download Windows 10

    As AndreTen commented there are options with the boot recovery software too if you can modify the BIOS boot menu.

    This is the owners manual:
    http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...uide_en-us.pdf

    What happened with USB2 ports compared with USB3 ports? Did the mouse and keyboard both fail with USB 2 too?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Feb 2018 #44

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Perhaps time to consider making backup, but computer refuses to boot from USB. Perhaps make the DVD from Kyhi's rescue disk, start Macrium -> make backup image on external drive. Then install fresh copy of Windows on hard drive, mount image and restore files.
    I may have to do that, but I'm hoping it won't come to that!

    May be a silly question, but does anyone have a guess as to how much time Microsoft (assuming their update is at fault) is likely to need in order to distribute a fix for this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13,550
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       20 Feb 2018 #45

    devnull said: View Post
    I may have to do that, but I'm hoping it won't come to that!

    May be a silly question, but does anyone have a guess as to how much time Microsoft (assuming their update is at fault) is likely to need in order to distribute a fix for this?
    It will be real problem to install it, since users that have non working systems will most probably find other ways..

    One more queston devnull: did you try the top two USB ports in the back of the PC? Those should be USB 2 and should work, if hardware is OK. Also find, if you have any legacy support for UBS in BIOS. Turn it off and on...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Feb 2018 #46

    I work for an IT company. We got one of these on Friday then 2 more Monday (yesterday) now 3 more today. We have tried installing other keyboards, using other ports, installing new USB card and nothing works. We have found that powering off during boot up 3 times will get you into repair mode and the keyboard works there. We can choose system restore but so far 3 said they had restore points but the restore failed, 2 said there were no restore points there at all, one of those now today says that a restore point was created last night but it will not restore to that. 2 of these machines we just rolled out last week and we created restore points when before they left our office and again once software was installed in their office. This is affecting Dell and HP for us. All Windows 10 Pro, none of the computers that were upgraded from Win 8 or 7 have had this problem. It is affecting all usb prots both version 2 and 3 for us in every case. The only solution that we can see is reloading the OS. I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, Business support will not talk to us unless we pay $499. Residential support said that all that they can do is remote into my working PC and give me a ISO of Windows 10 from before that update, I could then load that on to each PC and instantly go in and disable the problem update before it has a chance to attack again. We are trying to save the customers from having to reload all of their software and having to reconfigure them for their networks.
    I think that it would be very frustrating to be the customer who spends 8 hours labor to get all of their software reloaded then find out that the next day Microsoft released another update that fixed the flawed update and it would have fixed itself the next day.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    20 Feb 2018 #47

    zbook said: View Post
    These are 2 additional links:
    In the first one a reply indicated that they had installed a new card on the computer to get function
    Thanks, I might try that, although I'm thinking that that situation was probably somewhat different than this one, and so I'm not so sure that adding a USB card would work.


    zbook said: View Post
    If you can get into the BIOS and change the boot order then you may be able to boot to a windows 10 iso
    Yes, I can do that, but it has not been helpful so far.

    zbook said: View Post
    If you can boot to a windows 10 iso then it is another opportunity to see if you can use keyboard or mouse.
    I've done that and found that I was able to use my keyboard and mouse.

    zbook said: View Post
    If you can use keyboard or mouse in the Windows recovery environment then there are possible troubleshooting options.
    Yes, but I've not had any success with it so far.

    zbook said: View Post
    Thank you.

    zbook said: View Post
    What happened with USB2 ports compared with USB3 ports? Did the mouse and keyboard both fail with USB 2 too?
    Yes, they also failed (in Windows).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    20 Feb 2018 #48

    ScottInBend said: View Post
    I work for an IT company. We got one of these on Friday then 2 more Monday (yesterday) now 3 more today. We have tried installing other keyboards, using other ports, installing new USB card and nothing works. We have found that powering off during boot up 3 times will get you into repair mode and the keyboard works there. We can choose system restore but so far 3 said they had restore points but the restore failed, 2 said there were no restore points there at all, one of those now today says that a restore point was created last night but it will not restore to that. 2 of these machines we just rolled out last week and we created restore points when before they left our office and again once software was installed in their office. This is affecting Dell and HP for us. All Windows 10 Pro, none of the computers that were upgraded from Win 8 or 7 have had this problem. It is affecting all usb prots both version 2 and 3 for us in every case. The only solution that we can see is reloading the OS. I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, Business support will not talk to us unless we pay $499. Residential support said that all that they can do is remote into my working PC and give me a ISO of Windows 10 from before that update, I could then load that on to each PC and instantly go in and disable the problem update before it has a chance to attack again. We are trying to save the customers from having to reload all of their software and having to reconfigure them for their networks.
    I think that it would be very frustrating to be the customer who spends 8 hours labor to get all of their software reloaded then find out that the next day Microsoft released another update that fixed the flawed update and it would have fixed itself the next day.
    I'm in the same boat, i have 3 pc's here and tried everything under the sun.

    The only solution i can see is bringing my home desktop up here as it has both UEFI and ps/2 ports, plugging their drives in and uninstalling the update, then returning the drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    20 Feb 2018 #49

    AndreTen said: View Post
    One more queston devnull: did you try the top two USB ports in the back of the PC? Those should be USB 2 and should work, if hardware is OK. Also find, if you have any legacy support for UBS in BIOS. Turn it off and on...
    Thanks for the good suggestions. I tried the top two USB ports but they didn't work either. Re legacy USB support in the BIOS, I looked closely but did not see any such support.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Feb 2018 #50

    ScottInBend said: View Post
    I work for an IT company. We got one of these on Friday then 2 more Monday (yesterday) now 3 more today. We have tried installing other keyboards, using other ports, installing new USB card and nothing works. We have found that powering off during boot up 3 times will get you into repair mode and the keyboard works there. We can choose system restore but so far 3 said they had restore points but the restore failed, 2 said there were no restore points there at all, one of those now today says that a restore point was created last night but it will not restore to that. 2 of these machines we just rolled out last week and we created restore points when before they left our office and again once software was installed in their office. This is affecting Dell and HP for us. All Windows 10 Pro, none of the computers that were upgraded from Win 8 or 7 have had this problem. It is affecting all usb prots both version 2 and 3 for us in every case. The only solution that we can see is reloading the OS. I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, Business support will not talk to us unless we pay $499. Residential support said that all that they can do is remote into my working PC and give me a ISO of Windows 10 from before that update, I could then load that on to each PC and instantly go in and disable the problem update before it has a chance to attack again. We are trying to save the customers from having to reload all of their software and having to reconfigure them for their networks.
    Thanks for this very informative, albeit discouraging, post.
    ScottInBend said: View Post
    I think that it would be very frustrating to be the customer who spends 8 hours labor to get all of their software reloaded then find out that the next day Microsoft released another update that fixed the flawed update and it would have fixed itself the next day.
    That's exactly what I've been thinking.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Keyboard & Mouse: Acer Desktop Ever since I would say, the past upgrade for Windows 10, my mom's Acer desktop's keyboard has been really laggy. For example, when I go to wake it from sleep to unlock it, the keyboard's Number lock and Caps lock...
When I start the computer it runs well with mouse and keyboard live until Windows 10 starts when both go dead.n Of course cannot control anything. This is after Evaluation copy build 15063v2 shows at foor of right bottom. I have tried F10 but...
Hi, no USB mouse is anymore recognized by the windows 10 No Drivers visible in Device Manager for USB mouse s No System Restore points available Plugging in other USB devices gives them power, but no USB sticks are recognized I...
My setup: Intel i5 with 4Gb Ram with Nvidia GeForce GT 610 video card, 64Gb SSD (Win7), 330 Gb hdd (Win Vista), and 1Tb hdd. I've been running Win7/Vista for several years now, and decided to upgrade to 10 as some of the new software I want won't...
I use left handed mouse, and swapping left / buttons works OK. I also set the wheel button to be "double click". But the wheel button brings up the context menu instead of double click. If I change to right hand mouse, the wheel button gives double...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:13.
Find Us