How to solve "digitally signed driver is required"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 4,526
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #11

    The process known as npf.sys (NT5/6 AMD64) Kernel Driver or npf.sys (NT5/6 (version x86) Kernel Driver) or WinPcap Packet Driver (NPF) belongs to software NetGroup Packet Filter Driver or WinPcap Netgroup Packet Filter Driver or WinPcap Packet Driver (NPF) by CACE Technologies (Riverbed Product Catalog) or Riverbed Technology.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 809
    Win10
       #12

    There is definitely a signed version of that driver available - either the program is using an old version or it's a fake.

    Please run the script in BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums while the error message is on the screen, if possible, to collect information about the current running processes and post the zip file to this thread.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #13

    FreeBooter said:
    The process known as npf.sys (NT5/6 AMD64) Kernel Driver or npf.sys (NT5/6 (version x86) Kernel Driver) or WinPcap Packet Driver (NPF) belongs to software NetGroup Packet Filter Driver or WinPcap Netgroup Packet Filter Driver or WinPcap Packet Driver (NPF) by CACE Technologies (Riverbed Product Catalog) or Riverbed Technology.
    But how do I find out what program is using it?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #14

    PolarNettles said:
    There is definitely a signed version of that driver available - either the program is using an old version or it's a fake.
    Thank you, will run this and post it up
    Last edited by Brink; 12 Feb 2018 at 11:32. Reason: fixed quote box
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4,526
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #15

    To know which program using WinPcap driver first you need to understand why programs are using this driver.

    WinPcap is the industry-standard tool for link-layer network access in Windows environments: it allows applications to capture and transmit network packets bypassing the protocol stack, and has additional useful features, including kernel-level packet filtering, a network statistics engine and support for remote packet capture
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #16

    Usually, it's because you're running a program like Wireshark which wants to see everything coming into your network interface. FreeBooter's point might also be that something illicit or unwanted might be using it without your knowledge. OTH, you can always disable it and just wait for something to break! I just went looking for WinPcap in DevMgr on my protocol analyzer machine, though, and I don't see it under network adapters or system devices. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    --Ed--
    Last edited by EdTittel; 12 Feb 2018 at 15:15. Reason: Fix typo
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 4,526
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #17

    EdTittel said:
    Usually, it's because you're running a program like Wireshark which wants to see everything coming into your network interface. FreeBooter's point might also be that something illicit or unwanted might be using it without your knowledge. OTH, you can always disable it and just wait for something to break! I just went looking for WinPcap in DevMgr on my protocol analyzer machine, though, and I don't see it under network adapters or system devices. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    --Ed--
    Usually you can uninstall WinPcap driver from Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs and Features.

    You can also disable or enable WinPcap service from Services manger. Type Services.msc into Start Menu and press Enter key to open Services manger. There should also be a WinPcap service that allows remote access to your computer using WinPcap driver if its not used it should be disabled for security reasons.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #18

    Yes, thanks FreeBooter! Just looked in Programs and Features where, thanks to the miracle of the ASCII collating sequence, here's what I see:
    How to solve "digitally signed driver is required"-winpcap.jpg
    And while it is a driver (of sorts, because it plugs into the IP stack at Layer 2) Windows treats it as a program, which is why it shows up in "Programs and Features." Doh! Thanks for helping me to once again belabor the obvious.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 4,526
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
       #19

    Hi @EdTittel

    You are very welcome!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums