Hardware gurus Multi keyboard (3) stack - possible


  1. Posts : 11,203
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1

    Hardware gurus Multi keyboard (3) stack - possible


    Hi hardware gurus

    Is there a decent piece of kit around that lets me arrange 3 or 4 computer keyboards in an arrangement like multi-manuals on an organ or electronic music keyboard instrument .

    I can jigger around with a bit of carpentry or "handy Angle" but it's a bit fiddly and time consuming if there is a piece of professional kit that does it already. Sliding trays would be an advantage but not 100% necessary.

    I can't be the only person surely messing around with more than one computer and having 3 or 4 keyboards horizontally on the desk is fiddly and an inordinate waste of space.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,302
    Win10 202H
       #2

    a 4 port KVM would be a suggestion instead ....

    KB
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11,203
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Kbird said:
    a 4 port KVM would be a suggestion instead ....

    KB
    Hi there

    sounds like a good idea.

    Done -- 25 EUR -- although it doesn't have HDMI switching (those cost 130 EUR and I don't need that functionality - I've got an HDMI switchbox anyway ) just the USB - looks I can switch webcam also between computers too !!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 794
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #4

    Have you tried Mouse without boarders, If your computers are all running windows you could use one mouse and one keyboard for all of them.

    Mouse without Borders (Mouse Without Borders - Microsoft Community) is a product that makes you the captain of your computer fleet by allowing you to control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard. This means that with Mouse without Borders you can copy text or drag and drop files across computers.
    microsoft.com:
    Download Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders from Official Microsoft Download Center

    howtogeek.com:
    How to Use One Mouse and Keyboard Across Multiple Computers with Mouse Without Borders
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 11,203
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #5

    sml156 said:
    Have you tried Mouse without boarders, If your computers are all running windows you could use one mouse and one keyboard for all of them.


    microsoft.com:
    Download Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders from Official Microsoft Download Center

    howtogeek.com:
    How to Use One Mouse and Keyboard Across Multiple Computers with Mouse Without Borders

    Hi there.

    Not all the computers are running Windows --in fact only 1 out of 4 is running Native Windows as a Host machine (have another 2 Windows systems running as VM's on 2 Linux Hosts) but thanks for the idea anyway. I've gone for the KVM switch --I'll see how that works -- I'd prefer switching via a keyboard stroke but pressing a button isn't a problem to start with - at least gets rid of a load of cables and keyboards. If it's too fiddley I'll look for something else -- pity we haven't got "Eye contact" auto switching yet -- I HATE the voice activated command stuff though so if that appears I'm not using it !!!!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11,203
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Hi folks

    when buying KVM switches beware some of the older ones need a VGA connector and won't work unless there is a monitor connected to the KVM switch -- bummer if you don't have any VGA screens.

    As I don't need screen switching I got a very simple one -- accepts on one side just 4 USB2 connections - these go to each computer and on the output USB I sent to a tiny 4 port USB2 hub where I connected wireless mouse / keyboard combo, printer and usb2 videocam.

    Works a treat !! unit size is about 6 cm X 3 cm X 2 cm excellent cheap basic piece of kit which does its job perfectly. You will need a powered usb2 hub if you want to share more than 1 device between up to 4 computers. All 4 double ended usb 2 cables came with the unit too and led shows which computer has connection.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #7

    Why not just use RDC and/or SSH?

    If you used your phone you don't even need a desk let alone start having to build shelves into it :)

    I use this MS app to do inventory management in games running on my home PC on my way to work. Not often admittedly but it does work.

    Your issue seems it could solved by networking rather than hardware switches really - unless you want to switch some high throughput device like video cards I suppose in which case I've (yet again) misunderstood...
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,302
    Win10 202H
       #8

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi folks

    when buying KVM switches beware some of the older ones need a VGA connector and won't work unless there is a monitor connected to the KVM switch -- bummer if you don't have any VGA screens.

    As I don't need screen switching I got a very simple one -- accepts on one side just 4 USB2 connections - these go to each computer and on the output USB I sent to a tiny 4 port USB2 hub where I connected wireless mouse / keyboard combo, printer and usb2 videocam.

    Works a treat !! unit size is about 6 cm X 3 cm X 2 cm excellent cheap basic piece of kit which does its job perfectly. You will need a powered usb2 hub if you want to share more than 1 device between up to 4 computers. All 4 double ended usb 2 cables came with the unit too and led shows which computer has connection.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I have not had any issues with not using the VGA ports of the KVM switches I have , (USB2 and PS2) most CHEAP KVMs have very limited Video resolutions anyway 1280 x 1024 etc) and if they have DVI etc they get pretty expensive. My elCheapo USB one has a button to Switch and my better 4Port PS2 has keyboard hotkeys or a button....but I like the button as a backup anyway as sometimes they get confused.

    You may or may not have to set the MB Bios to ignore Keyboard Errors on Boot as some KVM told "report" they are connected properly if the KVM is switched to another computer during boot

    KB
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 11,203
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
    Thread Starter
       #9

    lx07 said:
    Why not just use RDC and/or SSH?

    If you used your phone you don't even need a desk let alone start having to build shelves into it :)

    I use this MS app to do inventory management in games running on my home PC on my way to work. Not often admittedly but it does work.

    Your issue seems it could solved by networking rather than hardware switches really - unless you want to switch some high throughput device like video cards I suppose in which case I've (yet again) misunderstood...

    Hi there

    RDC etc is just a bit of a dog when working with machines running different OS'es -- simplest solution is just to switch keyboard and mouse. Works absolutely fine. Also RDC is a bit of a dogs dinner when routing to several screens.

    Phone is no good for this as well -- I'm using these computers as proper workstations to access different client sites on work gigs so desk IS definitely needed.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums