Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #31

    I wonder if Brink has replaced the Microsoft NVMe driver he seems to be using on the drive in his attachment?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 61,501
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #32

    Still using the same firmware version since it came with it from the factory.

    I haven't noticed any issues, but I'm looking forward to the next release to be safe though.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2,295
    Win10 202H
    Thread Starter
       #33

    Brink said:
    Still using the same firmware version since it came with it from the factory.

    I haven't noticed any issues, but I'm looking forward to the next release to be safe though.
    He meant the Driver , your pic shows it using the Microsoft NVME Driver not the Samsung 2.3 Driver (1709) which is supposedly faster but has caused issues for some.....

    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...Driver_2.3.exe
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 61,501
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #34

    Ah, ok. Still using the Microsoft NVME driver.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #35

    I haven't encountered any issues using the Samsung driver for my 960 Pro.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #36

    Nor me on my 950 Pro. Somebody over at Win-RAID has posted a modded Samsung nVME driver that works quite well, in fact. Here's a link for those who may be interested: Forum - Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers.
    Cheers!
    --Ed--
    Last edited by EdTittel; 26 Jan 2018 at 10:04. Reason: Move misplaced comma
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,295
    Win10 202H
    Thread Starter
       #37

    EdTittel said:
    Nor me on my 950 Pro. Somebody over at Win-RAID has posted a modded Samsung nVME driver that works quite well, in fact. Here's a link for those who may be interested: Forum - Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers.
    Cheers!--Ed--
    The modded Driver on WinRaid is the same for the 950/960 Drives as the Samsung 2.3 Driver found at Samsung ...the Mod allows Samsung PM981 NVMe OEM SSDs to work with it , eg the Drives in some Dell , HP and other OEM Computer builders that use these but they aren't supported directly by Samsung.

    FYI the issue is not with the DRIVER for these NVME SSDs , it is an issue with older versions of the Drive trying to use the latest Firmware recommended by Samsung. The new version is 3B7QCXE7
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 11,172
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #38

    Hi there

    Sorry to be "The 5th player in a string quartet" here but I come from the old Fashioned Engineering school that says "If it ain't broke --don't fix it'. !!!

    Unless you need a specific reason to upgrade the firmware -- for instance a new feature added - I invariably never bother and I can't say I've missed any performance etc.

    I've around 5 SSD's all in fairly regular use (all samsung EVO type 4 X 250 and 1 X 500 GB - this one only 2 months old ) and haven't had a problem with any of them - but as Count Mike says they are SATA so the firmware upgrade isn't applicable.

    I would still advise people only to make firmware updates if absolutely necessary -if the device is working properly leave it alone. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 19,208
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #39

    I wasn't able to find just what that (failed) FW update was supposed to address. Notably, 250GB 960 Evo has 2 problems I hoped would be fixed with FW update. One is throttling at 60c and another falling performance when over 50% filled. It is also the only one that has heat problems. Thee last one I solved by installing heat spreader but performance fell by 30% at ~75% of capacity used.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 26,338
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #40

    CountMike said:
    I wasn't able to find just what that (failed) FW update was supposed to address. Notably, 250GB 960 Evo has 2 problems I hoped would be fixed with FW update. One is throttling at 60c and another falling performance when over 50% filled. It is also the only one that has heat problems. Thee last one I solved by installing heat spreader but performance fell by 30% at ~75% of capacity used.
    Mike because of the Spectre/Meltdown updates(both BIOS and Windows, and LINUX microcode updating) M.2's have had performance hits.

    I believe, if I remember correctly, the last Samsung M.2 FW updates had to do with the security side, specifically- Bit Locker.
    But that might have been the NVMe driver.

    Wait a sec:

    NVMe driver(see 2.3)
    click to enlarge
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads-image.png

    Latest Magician version 5.2
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads-image.png

    No data on firmware though, but to give a big ditto and affirm what @jimbo45 said above, this is from the PDF on how to upgrade the firmware for the M.2's:
    also click to enlarge
    Samsung SSD Firmware Warning - Re: Magician Downloads-image-004.png
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums