Add additional SSD to Windows 10 PC


  1. Posts : 4
    windows 10 home
       #1

    Add additional SSD to Windows 10 PC


    I have a Windows 10 PC with an internal 128 GIG SSD. It has an empty plug in slot for another SSD right next to it. I would like to add a 512 GIG SSD. Can I just plug the new drive into the slot like plugging in a thumb drive and will the computer recognize it? Or do I have to prepare the computer somehow?
    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,492
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    No information is given about the computer itself but usually SATA drives use both a power cable and a port on the motherboard. The motherboard may have anywhere from 1 SATA to 6 maybe 8 SATA sockets on it. If the power supply is powerful enough one can add drives as desired to fill all the possible connections.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    terratrike said:
    I have a Windows 10 PC with an internal 128 GIG SSD. It has an empty plug in slot for another SSD right next to it. I would like to add a 512 GIG SSD. Can I just plug the new drive into the slot like plugging in a thumb drive and will the computer recognize it? Or do I have to prepare the computer somehow?
    Thanks
    Windows will probably detect it automatically. With the power off, just connect the data and power cables from the new drive. Now turn on computer and go to file manager and see if your new drive listed. If it isn't shown you may have to open disk management and partition and format the new drive.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 983
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       #4

    Use this tutorial to completely fill in your (My System Specs).

    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials

    We need to know what we are working with.

    Jack
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 4
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Layback Bear said:
    Use this tutorial to completely fill in your (My System Specs).

    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials

    We need to know what we are working with.

    Jack
    Windows 10 Home, 16 gigs memory, i7 7700, GTX 1060 graphics card, 800 watt ps, 128 gig SSD, 1 tera bite HDD, 4 USB 3, 4 USB 2
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,098
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #6

    terratrike said:
    Windows 10 Home, 16 gigs memory, i7 7700, GTX 1060 graphics card, 800 watt ps, 128 gig SSD, 1 tera bite HDD, 4 USB 3, 4 USB 2
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. Its sounds like your talking about PCIe M.2 Slots. If so you you'll need to know what format is supported by your mother board. They could be either SATA or NVME, See what the spec are for the current one. Get the Infor off the SSD and Goggle it. You have to match up the spec for it in the 512 GB size. Once you know this you will buy the correct one. Shut down computer install in 2nd slot turn back up, you will probably need to inalize and format it in windows Disk Manager
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 4
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thanks to all.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 983
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       #8

    Please put your spec in the lower left corner of your posts(My System Specs) if you can.
    Those spec's will follow your every post.

    Example:
    Look in the lower left of this post and tick on it.
    One can check my specs in my every post.

    Jack
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,098
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #9

      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums