Windows 10: A discussion about updating drivers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,665
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update
       05 Jan 2018 #11

    Just as an example, you would never use windows update to upgrade your Nvidia or AMD video card.

    When it comes to laptops, always get the drivers from the manufacturer, if you feel adventurous, then by all means, try to update your drivers.

    Never, ever use a driver program to update drivers, that is just lazy and usually cost money and doesn`t work, don`t waste your time with that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 193
    Windows 10 Insider Build 17035 / Ubuntu 17.10
    Thread Starter
       05 Jan 2018 #12

    AddRAM said: View Post
    Just as an example, you would never use windows update to upgrade your Nvidia or AMD video card.

    When it comes to laptops, always get the drivers from the manufacturer, if you feel adventurous, then by all means, try to update your drivers.

    Never, ever use a driver program to update drivers, that is just lazy and usually cost money and doesn`t work, don`t waste your time with that.
    So you think WU doesn't really help updating drivers that much?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,081
    10.4 Home 1709 x64
       05 Jan 2018 #13

    doriandiaconu said: View Post
    But what about WUMT getting updates for drivers that were not present on the manufacturer website? (watchdog timer, PCI Bus, etc)
    In order to release drivers, manufacturers send them to Microsoft to get WHQL certificate, so MS has them ready first on Microsoft Update Catalog. Some others are not offered by manufacturers, because installing them could damage hardware, so they let Windows to decide, especially those you mention related to voltage, frequency, power management, etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 193
    Windows 10 Insider Build 17035 / Ubuntu 17.10
    Thread Starter
       05 Jan 2018 #14

    TrustMe said: View Post
    While we’re on the subject, could someone please explain to me what are all these Nvidia updates. I have an early 2012 Ailerware laptop and Nvidia is constantly wanting me to install driver updates. There can not be that many updates for a six year old laptop. I finally had Nvidia stop looking for updates. I never noticed any difference after I Installed them.

    One more question, my laptop has Intel graphics and Nvidia graphics. Why does my laptop have two?

    I have used WUMT in the past and noticed the same thing about it finding drivers WU does not.

    The only time I use Snappy Driver Installer is when Windows doesn’t offer a driver or the OEM drivers don’t work. I was recently given a Dell desktop that originally came with XP. I first upgraded to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10. The only problem was getting sound to work. Snappy Driver Installer did the trick. I really like the program.

    For anyone who may read this there are two versions of Snappy Driver Installer. The original author of the program sold it to a third party. I have read it contains adware and other things. The one I use is open source and a spin-off of the original. No ads, no limitations, it just works. If you want to try Snappy Driver Installer make sure to download the open source program.
    This could make a great point for our discussion.

    As for the second question, maybe you have 2 GPUs? Integrated one (usually Intel) and dedicated one (nVidia).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 193
    Windows 10 Insider Build 17035 / Ubuntu 17.10
    Thread Starter
       05 Jan 2018 #15

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    In order to release drivers, manufacturers send them to Microsoft to get WHQL certificate, so MS has them ready first on Microsoft Update Catalog. Some others are not offered by manufacturers, because installing them could damage hardware, so they let Windows to decide, especially those you mention related to voltage, frequency, power management, etc.
    So, since WUMT and WU have the same database (as I suppose), how can the tool access drivers not given to Microsoft?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,081
    10.4 Home 1709 x64
       05 Jan 2018 #16

    doriandiaconu said: View Post
    So, since WUMT and WU have the same database (as I suppose), how can the tool access drivers not given to Microsoft?
    MS already has them, manufacturers do not, yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jan 2018 #17

    TrustMe said: View Post
    While we’re on the subject, could someone please explain to me what are all these Nvidia updates. I have an early 2012 Ailerware laptop and Nvidia is constantly wanting me to install driver updates. There can not be that many updates for a six year old laptop. I finally had Nvidia stop looking for updates. I never noticed any difference after I Installed them.

    One more question, my laptop has Intel graphics and Nvidia graphics. Why does my laptop have two?

    I have used WUMT in the past and noticed the same thing about it finding drivers WU does not.

    The only time I use Snappy Driver Installer is when Windows doesn’t offer a driver or the OEM drivers don’t work. I was recently given a Dell desktop that originally came with XP. I first upgraded to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10. The only problem was getting sound to work. Snappy Driver Installer did the trick. I really like the program.

    For anyone who may read this there are two versions of Snappy Driver Installer. The original author of the program sold it to a third party. I have read it contains adware and other things. The one I use is open source and a spin-off of the original. No ads, no limitations, it just works. If you want to try Snappy Driver Installer make sure to download the open source program.
    A lot of GPU driver upgrades/updates are just fixes for certain games. If you don't play them those updates are useless.
    Your laptop has two GPUs because one is in the processor and another one is a dedicated GPU, Thru drivers, OS and programs/games should seamlessly switch between them depending on the load. The one within processor is used for desktop and most 2D applications while dedicated one is used mostly for 3D and games. Dedicated ones need more power so it's switched off when not needed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jan 2018 #18

    Thanks CountMike and doriandiaconu, I always wondered why it had two. I don’t play games so I don’t feel I’m missing out on anything. It was annoying asking me up update all the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Jan 2018 #19

    Hi All,

    A while back in 2015 MS silently issued an update KB3073930 - last updated Nov 2017
    That was supposed to enable the HIDE option for Driver updates
    As i've not had a need to hide any updates i didnt install it
    So i dont know if it works as advertised
    Im sure someone will try it now and post the results


    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ling-in-window

    Roy

    EDIT
    see also KB3183922, does the same
    Last edited by hawkman; 05 Jan 2018 at 09:44.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 193
    Windows 10 Insider Build 17035 / Ubuntu 17.10
    Thread Starter
       05 Jan 2018 #20

    hawkman said: View Post
    Hi All,

    A while back in 2015 MS silently issued an update KB3073930 - last updated Nov 2017
    That was supposed to enable the HIDE option for Driver updates
    As i've not had a need to hide any updates i didnt install it
    So i dont know if it works as advertised
    Im sure someone will try it now and post the results


    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ling-in-window

    Roy
    Thanks, looks nice.

    Now I wonder if they think themselves that it's a good to stick to the manufacturer drivers instead of their versions haha.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Updating Drivers in Drivers and Hardware
Do I need to "update" drivers? I see "partners" of windows saying I have 15 out dated drivers that need updating and I should install their software..or whatever it is..to update. Obviously I'm a newby at all this. Should I? And if not..is there...
So I'm not actually a gamer, but this doesn't count that much for the theme of the thread. I play from time to time the Witcher series, but for W10 I still have the display drivers got by Update Center from October 2015. I got a NVidia 840M...
This might be a dumb question, but can you install Windows 10 drivers onto a Windows 7 system? I upgraded to windows 10 not to long ago, and suffered a sleuth of problems that led me to reverting back to Windows 7. I've concluded out-dated drivers...
It told me welcome back when I downloaded new driver and everything. I love windows 10 so far. I upgraded for my mom and I. All her files were transferred from 8.1 to 10, I even saved them on a flash drive just in case. I didn't even think about...
stop WU from updating my amd drivers in Windows Updates and Activation
Heya All, Brand new member here even though been reading this site a long time. Some awesome news and help here. Also see a lot of great people willing to help and is good to see. I have a question on this build which over all am really liking...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:58.
Find Us