Windows 10: External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off Solved

  1.    01 Jan 2018 #1

    External Monitor Brightness Resets when turned off


    I recently got an external monitor, Lenovo L24q-20, which I use with my HP Envy Laptop. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled with buttons on the monitor, and is by default set to 80/100. This is a bit too bright for me so I set it down to 50/100, and all is well. However, when my laptop/the monitor go to sleep, when I wake my computer back up the value has reset to 80/100. Does anyone know why this is and any fixes I could try. I've restarted the computer and updated the drivers so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       01 Jan 2018 #2

    Hi there. WinKey/A > Make sure the lower is expanded > Turn the Night Light off if it's on by clicking on it.

    If that's not it > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Click on "Additional power settings" at the right > Once there, click the “Change plan settings” link on the selected plan > Browse down to Display –> Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there to Off.

    If that doesn't work revert that back.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jan 2018 #3

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Hi there. WinKey/A > Make sure the lower is expanded > Turn the Night Light off if it's on by clicking on it.

    If that's not it > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Click on "Additional power settings" at the right > Once there, click the “Change plan settings” link on the selected plan > Browse down to Display –> Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there to Off.

    If that doesn't work revert that back.
    I think I wasn't clear when I described the brightness issue. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled within the settings of the monitor, not within my laptop. I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26543315_1721896221175118_1107800019_o.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	170465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26543315_1721896221175118_1107800019_o.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	170465
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       01 Jan 2018 #4

    ConceptEight said: View Post
    I think I wasn't clear when I described the brightness issue. The brightness of the external monitor is controlled within the settings of the monitor, not within my laptop. I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about.
    You were clear. I understood. Just wanted to make sure the system wasn't affecting it.

    Has it always done this? Is this a brand new monitor?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jan 2018 #5

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    You were clear. I understood. Just wanted to make sure the system wasn't affecting it.

    Has it always done this? Is this a new monitor?
    Yes, since I got it yesterday.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       01 Jan 2018 #6

    Hmm. The monitor should keep its settings of course.

    Does changing the brightness of your laptop screen affect the secondary monitor at all? Try while both are on.

    Go here, fill out the info, and see what you can find: Search results | Lenovo US
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    01 Jan 2018 #7

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Hmm. The monitor should keep its settings of course.

    Does changing the brightness of your laptop screen affect the secondary monitor at all? Try while both are on.

    Go here, fill out the info, and see what you can find: Search results | Lenovo US
    As it turns out, the monitor was in Web Pic mode when it should have been in Text Mode. In Text Mode, the brightness settings persist when the monitor is turned off. Horrendous design given that it wasn't in the documentation that came with the monitor or the online documentation, I only found out from reading reviews on Amazon, but oh well, I'm glad it's fixed. Thank you for the help
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       01 Jan 2018 #8

    ConceptEight said: View Post
    As it turns out, the monitor was in Web Pic mode when it should have been in Text Mode. In Text Mode, the brightness settings persist when the monitor is turned off. Horrendous design given that it wasn't in the documentation that came with the monitor or the online documentation, I only found out from reading reviews on Amazon, but oh well, I'm glad it's fixed. Thank you for the help
    You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed as well.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update. I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I...
Hello, OS: win10 Familly I use an external hdmi monitor on a notebook, in that case I only use the external monitor (viz no dual display). I can adjust the brightness of: * the notebook screen with the "Sun up" and "Sun down" key on the...
Hi, Just as the title says, I'm having a slight issue with my dual monitor setup. I regularly need to keep my computer on while not using it, so I usually turn both screens off when I do so. My problem occurs when I return and turn both...
Hey guys, just updated to windows ten with my Sony Vaio 14 touchscreen laptop. 2 things ive noticed so far that have been bugging me is 1. I cannot adjust my brightness with the f5 & f6 keys like i could before... nor do i know how to changed the...
hi everyone when i press win+p then click duplicate or extend it doesn't work. i tried connecting my laptop to my samsung tv via hdmi cable, it does not detect my laptop. and also i cannot adjust the brightness of my laptop. your help will be...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35.
Find Us