Windows 10: Windows 10 hard drive is listed as drive E instead of C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    16 Dec 2017 #1

    Windows 10 hard drive is listed as drive E instead of C


    DELL PC Windows 10 Outlook 2007 RAID

    One user has no items listed in the Sent folder. This incident happened after the local electric supply blacked us out three times a couple of days ago. The user was in Outlook 2007 and was about to send an email. The email is in the Outbox. The owner has tried to run the Inbox Repair Tool but it can't find the C Drive. The PC has two hard drives set up as a RAID Mirror. Disk Management reports the RAID as Drive E. I tried to change the drive to C: but received an improper parameter.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Dec 2017 #2

    It sounds like the Black out took out the C: drive and the RAID array loaded the Mirror E: drive in it's place.
    Is this a Hardware RAID or Software? If a Hardware RAID, boot into the RAID control panel at bootup by pressing the key combo Usually Shit+S or CTR:+I or whatever combo it says, and view the array. It should tell you one of the drives has failed. Replace the drive with one of the same size, boot back into the RAID panel and Rebuild the Array. The E: mirror will clone itself back to the new drive making that new drive C: again. Andy you should be able to access Outlook and send any Emails.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Dec 2017 #3

    Thanks Spunk. The Dell 490 uses the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The RAID seems healthy but I might have missed something. The PC is located at my daughter's house and is in use. I'l go over there and check on the RAID.

    The RAID is working correctly. There was an external hard drive, that I thought was defective but it does work correctly. It is labelled as drive C. I have removed it and rebooted. The system still shows the RAID as Drive E. I tried once more to alter the drive letter from E to C but I get the same error message: "The parameter is incorrect".
    Last edited by ggeoff; 17 Dec 2017 at 11:07. Reason: Update
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Dec 2017 #4

    This an update. I have not been able to change the drive letter from E to C. But I have run Repair on Office 2007, which completed successfully but with no apparent changes made. The PC runs on the Local Disk and this is still listed as E. since the SCNPST.EXE file won't run on drive E it wants C I have come up with this alternative. I copy the users PST file to my other PC a DELL 9200 running Windows XP Pro and having Office 2007 installed. I then run SCNPST.EXE from the 9200 on the damaged PST file, and copy it back. Does anyone think that this will work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Dec 2017 #5

    I copy the users PST file to my other PC a DELL 9200 running Windows XP Pro and having Office 2007 installed. I then run SCNPST.EXE from the 9200 on the damaged PST file, and copy it back. Does anyone think that this will work?
    That probably won't work. Try unplugging the Mirror drive and just boot the computer up. The main drive should boot normally and then be the drive letter C: and everything should be working. Leave the external drive unplugged. If that works, shut down and add the mirror drive and see if it boots up as C: and rebuilds the array.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 976
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       18 Dec 2017 #6

    What ever Window 7 drive you boot into will become "C" when you are looking from within the Windows 7 you are booted into.. Windows 7 insists.

    If you have a dual boot (W-7 & W-10). What ever you boot into will become "C".

    Jack
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    18 Dec 2017 #7

    spunk said: View Post
    That probably won't work. Try unplugging the Mirror drive and just boot the computer up. The main drive should boot normally and then be the drive letter C: and everything should be working. Leave the external drive unplugged. If that works, shut down and add the mirror drive and see if it boots up as C: and rebuilds the array.
    I am confused. I only have one "drive" and it consists of two hard drives configured as a RAID. Are you suggesting that I disconnect one of the drives and then boot up?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Dec 2017 #8

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    What ever Window 7 drive you boot into will become "C" when you are looking from within the Windows 7 you are booted into.. Windows 7 insists.

    If you have a dual boot (W-7 & W-10). What ever you boot into will become "C".

    Jack
    Hi Layback Bear, I am running Windows 10 not 7. I have unplugged the external hard drive which I found was being regarded as the C drive, even though it was not switched on. I had tried to access the external drive some time ago and it wouldn't switch on. Maybe there is some reference to that drive in the OS that needs to be altered?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    18 Dec 2017 #9

    Are you suggesting that I disconnect one of the drives and then boot up?
    Yes, that is what I am suggesting. A RAID 1 mirror has two drives, one of the drives is the Main drive, the second drive is a Mirror copy of the Main drive. So, the full capacity of both drives, is just the size of One drive. The second is hidden and is a Mirror of the Main drive. The drives are not spanned together to make one large drive, that would be a RAID 0 Striped set. To know what drive is the Main drive, you will have to boot into the RAID Control panel and view the array. Or you can just experiment by unplugging one drive and starting the computer to see if it boots off of one drive. If not switch them around (ie) plug that drive back in and unplug the other drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    18 Dec 2017 #10

    spunk said: View Post
    Yes, that is what I am suggesting. A RAID 1 mirror has two drives, one of the drives is the Main drive, the second drive is a Mirror copy of the Main drive. So, the full capacity of both drives, is just the size of One drive. The second is hidden and is a Mirror of the Main drive. The drives are not spanned together to make one large drive, that would be a RAID 0 Striped set. To know what drive is the Main drive, you will have to boot into the RAID Control panel and view the array. Or you can just experiment by unplugging one drive and starting the computer to see if it boots off of one drive. If not switch them around (ie) plug that drive back in and unplug the other drive.
    Thanks I'll try it tomorrow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I had to uninstall Acronis True Image 2013 which seemed to be the issue with my Windows 10 64bit PC having many BSODs. Un-installing Acronis True Image 2013 meant that I lost the use of Acronis Extended Capacity Manager to make use of all of my...
I have a hard drive off of a non-working laptop that had Windows 10 on it. I am just wanting to get some files off of the hard drive instead of repairing the laptop since it's fairly old. I have put the hard drive into a USB hard drive enclosure...
Hello, Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive? As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has split my 2TB drive split into C and D. The C drive is much smaller than the D drive (At work...
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:21.
Find Us