Windows 10: Windows 10 hard drive is listed as drive E instead of C

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 246
    trying to install win10
       22 Dec 2017 #21

    You can't change the OS drive letter using diskpart from your running OS.

    You won't be able to change it using the method described by spunk. That would only change the letter in pe/re registry - not in the installed OS registry.

    If the OS letter is E ( which you didn't bother to check as outlined in my previous post) - there is no easy way to change it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Dec 2017 #22

    SIW2 said: View Post
    What do you have showing here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PathName

    I'll need to look tomorrow, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Dec 2017 #23

    SIW2 said: View Post
    You can't change the OS drive letter using diskpart from your running OS.

    You won't be able to change it using the method described by spunk. That would only change the letter in pe/re registry - not in the installed OS registry.

    If the OS letter is E ( which you didn't bother to check as outlined in my previous post) - there is no easy way to change it.
    Thanks, I have not been at home long.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Dec 2017 #24

    SIW2 said: View Post
    You can't change the OS drive letter using diskpart from your running OS.

    You won't be able to change it using the method described by spunk. That would only change the letter in pe/re registry - not in the installed OS registry.

    If the OS letter is E ( which you didn't bother to check as outlined in my previous post) - there is no easy way to change it.

    Checked the path is the E drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 246
    trying to install win10
       24 Dec 2017 #25

    I suggest you leave it as E. Trying to change it is not trivial. Is a clean reinstall an option?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Dec 2017 #26

    SIW2 said: View Post
    I suggest you leave it as E. Trying to change it is not trivial. Is a clean reinstall an option?
    Thanks. What of Office or the PC?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 246
    trying to install win10
       27 Dec 2017 #27

    If you have a lot of programs and settings, after a clean install you have to reinstall and set up all that afresh.
    If you have all the relevant installers and license keys, it is doable, but may take a while.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Dec 2017 #28

    SIW2 said: View Post
    If you have a lot of programs and settings, after a clean install you have to reinstall and set up all that afresh.
    If you have all the relevant installers and license keys, it is doable, but may take a while.
    Thanks but i would try my utmost to avoid having to reinstall Windows and my programs. I do have Belarc Advisor that lists license keys but the last time I had to reinstall everything I used Acronis True Image that worked well but is not free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
I had to uninstall Acronis True Image 2013 which seemed to be the issue with my Windows 10 64bit PC having many BSODs. Un-installing Acronis True Image 2013 meant that I lost the use of Acronis Extended Capacity Manager to make use of all of my...
I have a hard drive off of a non-working laptop that had Windows 10 on it. I am just wanting to get some files off of the hard drive instead of repairing the laptop since it's fairly old. I have put the hard drive into a USB hard drive enclosure...
Hello, Relatively new to Windows 10. Why does Windows 10 partition the hard drive into a C and D drive? As purchased, my Windows 10 machine has split my 2TB drive split into C and D. The C drive is much smaller than the D drive (At work...
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:22.
Find Us