Windows 10: Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad)

  1.    27 Jun 2017 #1

    Someone with extensive registry knowledge (shift disabling numpad)


    Argh, took me forever to figure out what was causing this. I use displayfusion and have the prevent deactivation function bound to the insert key. Worked wel enough for years now.

    The problem begins when I try to use my razer naga mouse in games and bind key combinations. The 10 key on the mouse corresponds to numpad 0.

    I need to be able to bind shift+that key. Every time I pressed shift+that key it would toggle the "prevent deactivation" in displayfusion and I couldnt figure it out. I thought it was some kind of default shortcut in displayfusion or something.

    Turns out, holding down shift disables numpad. In doing so it reverts the mouse 10 key from numpad0 to its non numpad state which is (you guessed it) insert.

    I believe via my convoluted research a means exists to modify this behavior via registry but thats well above my paygrade.

    Anyone know what key needs to be deleted or modified?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 124
    Windows 10.0.15063 (Version 1703) Pro 64-bit
       29 Jun 2017 #2

    klepp0906 said: View Post
    Argh, took me forever to figure out what was causing this. I use displayfusion and have the prevent deactivation function bound to the insert key. Worked wel enough for years now.

    The problem begins when I try to use my razer naga mouse in games and bind key combinations. The 10 key on the mouse corresponds to numpad 0.

    I need to be able to bind shift+that key. Every time I pressed shift+that key it would toggle the "prevent deactivation" in displayfusion and I couldnt figure it out. I thought it was some kind of default shortcut in displayfusion or something.

    Turns out, holding down shift disables numpad. In doing so it reverts the mouse 10 key from numpad0 to its non numpad state which is (you guessed it) insert.

    I believe via my convoluted research a means exists to modify this behavior via registry but thats well above my paygrade.

    Anyone know what key needs to be deleted or modified?
    What recognizes the Shift key as a trigger to disable numpad? This is not a normal Windows setting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6,433
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       29 Jun 2017 #3

    Hydrate said: View Post
    What recognizes the Shift key as a trigger to disable numpad? This is not a normal Windows setting.
    It does that for my laptop too. With NumLock turned on the shift key turns off the effect of NumLock while it's pressed. Apparently it's always done that - certainly did back in 2004....

    Perhaps not as well-known today as it was in the days when the arrow keys and numeric keypad shared space is that the shift key overrides NumLock.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/old...06-00/?p=37953

    ...and not just in Windows, Ubuntu too.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1496421

    It's been the bane of gamers the world over.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=shift+numlock+game
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 124
    Windows 10.0.15063 (Version 1703) Pro 64-bit
       29 Jun 2017 #4

    Well the only solution is to use a program known as https://www.autohotkey.com/ and disable the Windows outputs of the Shift key and have it run constantly while in game.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jun 2017 #5

    Sounds like it's time to look into that then. Is it fairly simplistic or? Last I recall AHK requires some scripting and my coding knowledge is beyond minimal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jun 2017 #6

    Frequently had the problem where numlock was OFF, on start-up

    the registry value to enable it is 2 -- mine was 10 digits long something like 21474870
    i just cleared the other 9 digits hey presto numlock ON
    You obviously want it that way

    reg key is
    HKEY users >> default >> control panel >> keyboard >> keyboardIndicaters > value

    Roy

    note known good value creating this is 2147483648
    (memory pretty good for the off the top of my head first listed value
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jun 2017 #7

    Will give that a try first and see if it forces/keeps it on even when shift is depressed

    Ty!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 124
    Windows 10.0.15063 (Version 1703) Pro 64-bit
       30 Jun 2017 #8

    klepp0906 said: View Post
    Sounds like it's time to look into that then. Is it fairly simplistic or? Last I recall AHK requires some scripting and my coding knowledge is beyond minimal.
    You need less than minimal to figure out the coding language which is not an issue. Let's see if the registry fix works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    I downloaded NumPad from SourceForge, doesn't seem to *do* anything. Anybody had any success running this and having a visible pad?
    Hey can anybody help me find a script or a registry key that will uncheck it or disable the file and print sharing on windows 7. I been trying to find a way to do it but i cant find anything that works...
    slow response and extensive disk work in Performance & Maintenance
    Greetings Maybe it's not the right forum or right category but I don't know what to do and where to get help from. On July 27 I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro. Everything went smoothly for a month or so and than the pc became...
    I open the windows store and a file immediately began to download. It's labeled as "drm". Anyone familiar with this?
    Personal Knowledge Base in Chillout Room
    I love how these forums are slowly becoming my personal knowledge base LOL I updated a wordpress theme at work which in turn lost a piece of code i put in the header.php file to fix issues with Internet Explorer compatibility, i don't really know...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10.
    Find Us