Windows 10: Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 7, 8, 10
       21 Jul 2015 #1

    Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?


    The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is a masterpiece with its horisontal scroll and simplistic grouping.

    The Start Screen in Windows 10 is a mess with the mix of a Windows 7 style Start Menu and the vertical scroll of the tiles.

    Would there be any way to bring the Windows 8 Start Screen to Windows 10 as in the early builds?
    I don't need any fancy additional features, just the Windows 8 Start Screen style and behaviour.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    21 Jul 2015 #2

    Not seen anyway to do this, best hope is that a 3rd party developer does something for this after 10 is released

    Would love to have the 8 style start screen back, especially for touch/tablet use
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Jul 2015 #3

    You can make use of the full start screen option for the start menu and it's quite similar to the WIn8 Start Screen.

    Jeff...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11
    Windows 7, 8, 10
    Thread Starter
       21 Jul 2015 #4

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    You can make use of the full start screen option for the start menu and it's quite similar to the WIn8 Start Screen.
    Jeff, please read my question again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    21 Jul 2015 #5

    Gustav said: View Post
    Jeff, please read my question again.
    Just giving you an option. Brink tried to come up with a registry hack to bring back the start screen like Win8. It worked early on but when MS changed the method for coding the start menu for WIn10 the hack no longer worked and I highly doubt that anyone will be able to come up with a version of the Win8 start menu again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Jul 2015 #6

    My guess is that you're looking for a full-screen Start screen, right? If that's true, you should check the start menu app providers to see if any of their products provide full screen options. The ones that come to mind are Start10 (Stardock), StartIsBack, Classic Shell.

    I'm sure that there are other that folks have used for Win8x that I'm not familiar with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11
    Windows 7, 8, 10
    Thread Starter
       21 Jul 2015 #7

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    .. I highly doubt that anyone will be able to come up with a version of the Win8 start menu again.
    That's what I'm afraid of, but it may be to early to give up the hope.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11
    Windows 7, 8, 10
    Thread Starter
       21 Jul 2015 #8

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    My guess is that you're looking for a full-screen Start screen, right? If that's true, you should check the start menu app providers to see if any of their products provide full screen options. The ones that come to mind are Start10 (Stardock), StartIsBack, Classic Shell.
    Yes, that's what I'm after. And I did check the well-known providers. Sadly, they all seem too busy creating different variations of the stupid Windows 95-style Start Menu from Windows 7 or some over-fancy "mods" not suitable for business use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       21 Jul 2015 #9

    There was a time when a registry mod re-instated the Win8.1 Start Screen /All apps - but MS changed the basis of Start and that mod no longer works.

    Don't give up hope, there might come a time when a member figures out the keys and provides a regedit file. It's probably a long shot but I'm one who would like that option back too.

    MS might offer it to us later as an option, but they played around with Start during the preview (at least 4 iterations) until they felt they had a good launch compromise. Win8.1 users aren't a large enough base and we weren't loud enough. That might change - I think it will, I hope it will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Jul 2015 #10

    Gustav said: View Post
    The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is a masterpiece with its horisontal scroll and simplistic grouping.

    The Start Screen in Windows 10 is a mess with the mix of a Windows 7 style Start Menu and the vertical scroll of the tiles.

    Would there be any way to bring the Windows 8 Start Screen to Windows 10 as in the early builds?
    I don't need any fancy additional features, just the Windows 8 Start Screen style and behaviour.
    I think there's a software called istart8 or something that makes it work, not free though
    dunno if it's good or not
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
124 votes declined +1 vote Bring back Windows Experience Index!
See tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3674-start-menu-enable-disable-resizable-windows-10-a.html ​Right click on the Start Button and select "Run" Type "regedit" Navigate to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.
Find Us