Windows 10: Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Jul 2015 #1

    Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?


    Not sure what Microsoft is thinking, but the "most used" list...isn't functioning as you would expect.
    I want programs I launch often to go there, with the recent file list fly out, that's the most user-friendly feature brought over from Windows 7....
    However, I've no idea what Windows uses to identify "most used"
    I use one program every single day, it never appears.
    A program I used a few times over a month ago is still in the list, when I chose to remove it, no other programs replaced it...why wouldn't the next most used program appear?
    How do I set the number of programs to list...the number grows and reduces all on it's own...it's quite bizarre.
    This would all be fine if I could CHOOSE to add programs to the start menu (The "real" one, NOT the "modern" one, with it's useless huge icons)..but...you can't!!!
    Anyone found a registry key or something that will allow for some of these annoyances to be changed?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Jul 2015 #2

    That word, "useless". It works fine for me to pin items to the start menu.... I think we have very different ideas of what "useless" means.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	382733.png 
Views:	875 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	24357

    Regardless, I've found that if you have an item pinned somewhere else, like to your taskbar, or in the start menu, it won't appear on the most used list. Also, only items you start from the start menu will be listed there. If you start apps from a desktop shortcut, it won't be listed, for instance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Jul 2015 #3

    Mystere said: View Post
    That word, "useless". It works fine for me to pin items to the start menu.... I think we have very different ideas of what "useless" means.
    Pin Word to the Modern start menu, what do you get?
    An icon with a "W" image on it.
    Find Word in your "Most Used list" Ohh, neat, a little triangle pops put all my most recent Word documents.
    Same with Excel, etc etc.
    Now the fastest way to open a SPECIFIC document is Click-Click->Click.

    Mystere said: View Post
    Regardless, I've found that if you have an item pinned somewhere else, like to your taskbar, or in the start menu, it won't appear on the most used list. Also, only items you start from the start menu will be listed there. If you start apps from a desktop shortcut, it won't be listed, for instance.
    I ONLY have this program in the "All Apps" area, which is where I launch it every single time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Jul 2015 #4

    yxalitis said: View Post
    Pin Word to the Modern start menu, what do you get?
    An icon with a "W" image on it.
    Find Word in your "Most Used list" Ohh, neat, a little triangle pops put all my most recent Word documents.
    Same with Excel, etc etc.
    Now the fastest way to open a SPECIFIC document is Click-Click->Click.
    That's not useless. Maybe you find that less useful, but it's obviously not useless, unless you can't open the app from the icon.

    yxalitis said: View Post
    I ONLY have this program in the "All Apps" area, which is where I launch it every single time.
    Has it ever been pinned somewhere else? It sounds like you might have pinned it to your start menu to discover that you can't use the jump lists, then unpinned it, and now expect it to be in Most used...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Jul 2015 #5

    Mystere said: View Post
    That's not useless. Maybe you find that less useful, but it's obviously not useless, unless you can't open the app from the icon.



    Has it ever been pinned somewhere else? It sounds like you might have pinned it to your start menu to discover that you can't use the jump lists, then unpinned it, and now expect it to be in Most used...
    1. Let's stop worrying about pendantics, I don't like the Modern start menu, prefer not to use it, end of story.
    2. No, never, I already knew about the limitations of the Modern Start Menu...
    However, why would that act stop the program being "Most used"? Note I'm not referring to the "Newly Added" area...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Jul 2015 #6

    Modern screen like or dislikes apart, I find this the easiest compromise.
    I don't like to see a row of icons on my taskbar or desktop, so I have:
    1, Eliminated , through settings...Personalisation.. .Start, all those functions. Show recent Apps..etc).

    2. My frequently used programs I have pinned to start.
    Clickety click and they are open.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    14 Jul 2015 #7

    yxalitis said: View Post
    1. Let's stop worrying about pendantics, I don't like the Modern start menu, prefer not to use it, end of story.
    I apologize, but I feel that words have meanings, and using a word to mean something else just makes it that much harder to communicate. It's fine that you don't like it, but don't say it's "useless". "useless to me", or "not useful to me" would be much better.

    yxalitis said: View Post
    2. No, never, I already knew about the limitations of the Modern Start Menu...
    However, why would that act stop the program being "Most used"? Note I'm not referring to the "Newly Added" area...
    I don't know why, but that's the way it is. You can see this by right clicking on anything in the "Most Used" and choosing "Pin to start" or "pin to taskbar" and it disappears from the most used menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       14 Jul 2015 #8

    yxalitis said: View Post
    Pin Word to the Modern start menu, what do you get?
    An icon with a "W" image on it.
    Find Word in your "Most Used list" Ohh, neat, a little triangle pops put all my most recent Word documents.
    Same with Excel, etc etc.
    Now the fastest way to open a SPECIFIC document is Click-Click->Click.


    I ONLY have this program in the "All Apps" area, which is where I launch it every single time.
    I don't know the criteria MS uses for the MFU list, but I share your pain. I have a different complaint - I don't like the small list, but that's not germane.

    The jumplist in the small start list is a nice feature - you might consider pinning your most used applications to the Taskbar as an alternative and access the jumplists from there.

    You could also create a Taskbar toolbar that has shortcuts to your most used applications. I drag an alternate Start menu toolbar all the way to the left (tricky - it might take a few 'drag' ops to get it all the way left).
    Create a folder, create shortcuts in the folder, create a new toolbar thta points to the folder you created for your MFU applications.

    There are options - that's always been the nice thing about Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       14 Jul 2015 #9

    Mystere said: View Post
    .....
    I don't know why, but that's the way it is. You can see this by right clicking on anything in the "Most Used" and choosing "Pin to start" or "pin to taskbar" and it disappears from the most used menu.
    That doesn't sound like a good way to implement MRU queues. But as you said I don't know why, but that's the way it is.. Perhaps that will change between now and RTM, if it falls in the high priority category (doubtful).

    I do know that the disappearance from new items list is a new change. I fed MS a report that basically said "Why do I have to pin-to-XYZ and then remove the item from the list". Sure , it's a different list, but there might be common code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Jul 2015 #10

    Another option, which requires an extra click, is to rename your start-menu links to start with a number, like 0-Whatever.. then they will appear at the top of the "All Apps" list, complete with jumplists.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Is there any way to delete these system folders. I don't use them, and I never will. If I delete them though, they are simply re-created. Thanks
Hi In Windows 10, how I do not display the "Life at a glance" and "Play and explore" columns of the Start menu? Thanks Bye
I've installed Build 10041 and upgrade to 10049 three times now, each time I was able to do a search for Windows Update or Sound which would show me the correct results but this time, I'm not getting the right results. In the past I would do a Reset...
in Win7 & Win 8.1.1 (with Start8) I can do Start|All Programs|right-click and select "open all users." Then i can create groups of apps. I like to create UTILS groups that has lots of things, some i rarely use & might not recall the name of, a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33.
Find Us