Page 16 of 221 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Aug 2015 #151
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build

    no, I am good; I have all those "emergency" things in order, but didnt need them.
    I just shut down the pc, unplugged it from the battery backup, waited a couple of minutes, plugged in back in and it booted normally..

    yeah, I know deleting the icon cache shouldn't have caused any thing like a total black screen on reboot, but, anything is possible with a computer!

    I wish there was some way to get these damn icons back; it started several insider builds ago, when I uninstalled window blinds from my machine, and after that, the issue started. I assumed that after 5 or 6 builds, and then the "final" release, it might fix itself, but it hasnt. I dont want to do a clean install just to get them back, since everything else is running perfectly at this point..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Aug 2015 #152
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,687
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Na yeah, You could try going into the shortcuts properties and "customize" the Icon by change icon Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.png 
Views:	658 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	27541
    BrowseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	656 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	27542 find the original from the :exe open it's properties and copy the path and paste it in the shortcut. Or try creating a new shortcut from the ProgramName.exe file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    01 Aug 2015 #153
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,840
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    no, I am good; I have all those "emergency" things in order, but didnt need them.
    I just shut down the pc, unplugged it from the battery backup, waited a couple of minutes, plugged in back in and it booted normally..

    yeah, I know deleting the icon cache shouldn't have caused any thing like a total black screen on reboot, but, anything is possible with a computer!

    I wish there was some way to get these damn icons back; it started several insider builds ago, when I uninstalled window blinds from my machine, and after that, the issue started. I assumed that after 5 or 6 builds, and then the "final" release, it might fix itself, but it hasnt. I dont want to do a clean install just to get them back, since everything else is running perfectly at this point..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Na yeah, You could try going into the shortcuts properties and "customize" the Icon by change icon Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.png 
Views:	658 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	27541
    BrowseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	656 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	27542 find the original from the :exe open it's properties and copy the path and paste it in the shortcut. Or try creating a new shortcut from the ProgramName.exe file.
    That's what I was going to suggest - thanks Cliff!
    So, the shortcuts are working, right?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    01 Aug 2015 #154
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build

    yeah, the shortcuts work just fine, but when I right click any of them on the taskbar, there is no properties dialogue box that comes up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    01 Aug 2015 #155
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,840
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    yeah, the shortcuts work just fine, but when I right click any of them on the taskbar, there is no properties dialogue box that comes up.
    and when you right click on them on the desktop, no properties as well? (I don't think you get that from the taskbar - have to do the desktop)

    and in the start programs menu - are they correct, or are they white as well?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Aug 2015 #156
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,687
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5).png 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	27550
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    01 Aug 2015 #157
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 270
    latest windows insider home build

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest - thanks Cliff!
    So, the shortcuts are working, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    and when you right click on them on the desktop, no properties as well? (I don't think you get that from the taskbar - have to do the desktop)

    and in the start programs menu - are they correct, or are they white as well?
    OK, finally got it guys..

    First I had to unpin them from the taskbar
    then from the start menu, I right clicked file location
    then went into the properties from there, changed the icon to something more colorful, even if its not the "default" icon
    then saved it
    then went back to the start menu, right clicked, and pinned to taskbar, and voila, a more "colorful" icon!

    Thanks so much for helping me with this, and I apologize for hijacking this thread..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Aug 2015 #158
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,840
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    OK, finally got it guys..

    First I had to unpin them from the taskbar
    then from the start menu, I right clicked file location
    then went into the properties from there, changed the icon to something more colorful, even if its not the "default" icon
    then saved it
    then went back to the start menu, right clicked, and pinned to taskbar, and voila, a more "colorful" icon!

    Thanks so much for helping me with this, and I apologize for hijacking this thread..
    Excellent!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Aug 2015 #159
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,596
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
    mmmmn, bacon!

    quick question for you theme gods; my non system icons,(chrome, cc cleaner, etc) are all plain and white; any easy way to get them back to the colorful way they are supposed to look?

    thanks, and back to bacon!
    I've been getting that quite a bit, but it seems to have settled down now.

    1. Identify what the white icon is, delete it and put it back. If that doesn't work, delete, reboot and put it back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    01 Aug 2015 #160
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 88
    Windows 10 pro 64bit

    Belloooooo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minions.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	910.9 KB 
ID:	27621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minions1.PNG 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	27622
    Windows 10 Themes created by Ten Forums members Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members
Hi geeks and geekettes! This thread is to show your Windows 10 related tutorial and instructional videos. If you have made a video about a Windows 10 task, procedure, feature or neat trick, post it here. Please no videos about your stunning...
General Support
User Created Windows Ten Wallpapers
My first Windows 10 Wall :) 5345
Customization
10 Forums Members count snip
7730 Not bad numbers 10 10 for the first month of the leak. I am sure it will continue to grow!:party: Charlie
Chillout Room
User Created Windows Nine Wallpapers
This thread is for all user-created Windows 9 wallpapers. The rules are very simple: You may only upload your own creation. Branding allowed Happy posting :)
Customization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums