Windows 10: Help with Windows 10 start menu. Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Education
       23 Nov 2016 #1

    Help with Windows 10 start menu.


    I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Education and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my start menu to look like the one on my other Windows 10 machine.


    My start menu currently looks like this:






    I want it to look like this:


    Anyone know how to do this? Ive spent hours trying to get it and cant seem to figure it out. Any information would be great!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,546
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       23 Nov 2016 #2

    @zipper, welcome to TenForums!

    Your new start menu is the redesigned layout introduced in the Anniversary Update (version 1607). Your other start menu is the one for the previous version 1511. Run Winver on each to confirm that they are indeed running different versions of Windows 10. There's no way to go back to the old design of Start. You're either going to have to adapt to the new layout (as I have done) or install something like Classic Shell to get a 'Windows 7 look-alike' Start.

    On the new Start, click the 'hamburger' icon top left (three horizontal lines) to expand the icons down the far left to show their full names. This will look more similar to the old layout you were familiar with. Note there's now no 'All Apps' - this has now been promoted to be an open list of all apps immediately accessible from a single click on Start.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Education
    Thread Starter
       23 Nov 2016 #3

    Bree said: View Post
    @zipper, welcome to TenForums!

    Your new start menu is the redesigned layout introduced in the Anniversary Update (version 1607). Your other start menu is the one for the previous version 1511. Run Winver on each to confirm that they are indeed running different versions of Windows 10. There's no way to go back to the old design of Start. You're either going to have to adapt to the new layout (as I have done) or install something like Classic Shell to get a 'Windows 7 look-alike' Start.

    On the new Start, click the 'hamburger' icon top left (three horizontal lines) to expand the icons down the far left to show their full names. This will look more similar to the old layout you were familiar with. Note there's now no 'All Apps' - this has now been promoted to be an open list of all apps immediately accessible from a single click on Start.

    Ohhh okay. I guess I didn't know they completely changed the start menu with the update. I guess I'll have to adapt to this one then. Do you know by chance to recover all the programs that were in that list? I accidentally deleted the "Programs" folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and now all the program shortcuts are gone. They are not in the recycle bin as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Education
    Thread Starter
       23 Nov 2016 #4

    @Bree, thank you for replying. I guess I will have to just adapt to the new layout.

    Also, I accidentally deleted the "Programs" folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu which as a bunch of shortcuts in them. Is there anyway to get this back? They are not in the recycle bin.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,546
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       23 Nov 2016 #5

    @zipper Do you have a Restore Point you can go back to? Type RESTORE POINT in the Search box next to Start. You'll get 'Create a restore point - Control panel' in the results. Click this and click its 'System Restore...' button to see if you have.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    23 Nov 2016 #6

    How can I get 6 tiles across like that on the Start Menu? I can only seem to create a 4 column wide block and cannot get my menu to expand beyond that. Is it a limitation of laptop display vs. desktop display or limitation on latest update?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Education
    Thread Starter
       23 Nov 2016 #7

    @JBGoode, if you go to Settings>Personalization>Then click Start on the left, make sure you have "Show More Tiles" enabled. Let me know if this helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    23 Nov 2016 #8

    zipper said: View Post
    @JBGoode, if you go to Settings>Personalization>Then click Start on the left, make sure you have "Show More Tiles" enabled. Let me know if this helps.
    Thanks, I do have it enabled but that never helped. I can only pin 4 medium sized tiles across and can't seem to make it wider no matter what I do so I end up having to scroll down if I have too many tiles pinned.

    I thought I read somewhere that 4 is the limit but I always see screenshots that contradict this so I've been thinking it's a limitation based on the display I'm using.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,546
    10 Home x64 (1703) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       23 Nov 2016 #9

    JBGoode said: View Post
    I can only pin 4 medium sized tiles across and can't seem to make it wider no matter what I do so I end up having to scroll down if I have too many tiles pinned.

    I thought I read somewhere that 4 is the limit ...
    Yes @JBGoode, 4 (or 8 small tiles) is the maximum number of tiles in a column of tiles, but you can have two columns. Hover your mouse over the right edge of the Start menu, it become the 'horizontal arrows' pointer. You can click and drag the right edge further across the screen to get two columns of tiles.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    23 Nov 2016 #10

    Bree said: View Post
    Yes @JBGoode, 4 (or 8 small tiles) is the maximum number of tiles in a column of tiles, but you can have two columns. Hover your mouse over the right edge of the Start menu, it become the 'horizontal arrows' pointer. You can click and drag the right edge further across the screen to get two columns of tiles.
    I've tried that more times than I can count and it doesn't get any wider.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me... For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch, metro apps (OneDrive, Tweetium, Money, News etc) would fail to launch (just a blank window...
When I click on the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen nothing happens. I've re-booted, restored and via Powershell I've tried the 'Get - Appx package etc' that has been suggested in a number of places on the Web. None of...
I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening?
How to Change to Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. You can use this instead: How to Turn On or Off to Use Full Screen Start in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:08.
Find Us