Windows 10: Help with Date+Time in taskbar


  1. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       22 Aug 2016 #1

    Help with Date+Time in taskbar


    Hello all

    i would like to have Date+Time displayed in the taskbar (i know that i can use large font,resize taskbar etc etc and dont want to use those solutions or any other 3rd party app just to be clear)

    On my windows 7 i could achieve this by using Windows Styles builder then open the relevant theme end edit the required resource (namely Clock Font from size 11 i think, down to 9 or 8) and thus i could see both the time and the date without using large fonts or resizing the taskbar.

    Tried the same method with windows 10 Pro X64 A.U this method appears not to work anymore.

    any suggestions are welcome
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,204
    Windows 10 Pro
       22 Aug 2016 #2

    Am I misunderstanding something? All my Windows 10 machines show both time and date in Taskbar. I have normally vertical Taskbar at left but when testing this just now, moving Taskbar to default position and size, I get this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	97636

    Having taskbar at left (or right) I even get day of the week:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	97638
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Thread Starter
       22 Aug 2016 #3

    Kari said: View Post
    Am I misunderstanding something? All my Windows 10 machines show both time and date in Taskbar. I have normally vertical Taskbar at left but when testing this just now, moving Taskbar to default position and size, I get this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	97636

    Having taskbar at left (or right) I even get day of the week:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	97638
    You probably have big font enabled not small one,while having the taskbar vertically even with small font it will show time and date i think using small font and having it horizontally will not show it

    (try using Small Taskbar buttons in Personalization setting Taskbar and see if it shows time and date while having it Horizontally)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,204
    Windows 10 Pro
       22 Aug 2016 #4

    dtoxic said: View Post
    You probably have big font enabled not small one,while having the taskbar vertically even with small font it will show time and date i think using small font and having it horizontally will not show it

    (try using Small Taskbar buttons in Personalization setting Taskbar and see if it shows time and date while having it Horizontally)
    I have never changed font size in Windows, always using default desktop / taskbar font and size. Both time and date are shown regardless if I use small or large Taskbar buttons, regardless where Taskbar is positioned or what size it is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Thread Starter
       22 Aug 2016 #5

    Kari said: View Post
    I have never changed font size in Windows, always using default desktop / taskbar font and size. Both time and date are shown regardless if I use small or large Taskbar buttons, regardless where Taskbar is positioned or what size it is.
    strange i cannot seem to get the same effect here are 2 screenshots with differences

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	off small.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	97683 This is with setting Off

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On Small.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	97684
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Aug 2016 #6

    I don't know if this is resolved but perhaps it is large or small 'buttons' (not fonts) that is meant? The default button size shows the time and date but if 'Use small taskbar buttons' is turned on, then only the time shows.

    My own preference is for small buttons on the Taskbar but still to show time and date. I don't think this can be done by Windows. However, it can be done with a third-party program called T-Clock. One proviso: Windows says it doesn't recognise the program and asks if I want to trust it. I chose 'yes' because I've been using T-Clock with no ill-effects for ages. Thought this point is worth a mention though.

    T-Clock running (System Tray).


    Small buttons on the left of the Taskbar.


    Actual size (monitor resolution: 1920 x1080)

    Releases · White-Tiger/T-Clock · GitHub

    I think Tclock (no dash) could be a different product to the one mentioned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Thread Starter
       28 Aug 2016 #7

    mart44 said: View Post
    I don't know if this is resolved but perhaps it is large or small 'buttons' (not fonts) that is meant? The default button size shows the time and date but if 'Use small taskbar buttons' is turned on, then only the time shows.

    My own preference is for small buttons on the Taskbar but still to show time and date. I don't think this can be done by Windows. However, it can be done with a third-party program called T-Clock. One proviso: Windows says it doesn't recognise the program and asks if I want to trust it. I chose 'yes' because I've been using T-Clock with no ill-effects for ages. Thought this point is worth a mention though.

    T-Clock running (System Tray).


    Small buttons on the left of the Taskbar.


    Actual size (monitor resolution: 1920 x1080)

    Releases · White-Tiger/T-Clock · GitHub

    I think Tclock (no dash) could be a different product to the one mentioned.
    Thx for the suggestion but as i said in the first post i don't want to use any 3-rd party programs.

    This can be resolved on Win7 easy with the use of "Windows Styles Builder" but sadly this solution doesn't seem to work for Windows 10

    anyway thx for the tip
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 Aug 2016 #8

    So to be clear You want the Time & Date side by side?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Thread Starter
       28 Aug 2016 #9

    SonicBlue said: View Post
    So to be clear You want the Time & Date side by side?
    no...i don't think that is possible (at least it was not possible by editing the theme on W7, just by editing the font from 11 i think it was to 8 i would get Date and time one bellow the other) but like i wrote earlier this seems not possible with W10 tried the same approach,same steps like in W7 no effect what so ever
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    16 Feb 2017 #10

    dtoxic said: View Post
    no...i don't think that is possible (at least it was not possible by editing the theme on W7, just by editing the font from 11 i think it was to 8 i would get Date and time one bellow the other) but like i wrote earlier this seems not possible with W10 tried the same approach,same steps like in W7 no effect what so ever
    You might try this:
    Right click on the desktop then select personalize, near the bottom, then select task bar, again near the bottom.
    See if the Turn off Use small taskbar buttons, is on or OFF, I changed mine to off and that corrected the same problem I had. Hope this helps, even though late.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello, Since I upgraded to Windows 10, many things have been problematic. However, my issue currently is that the Date and Time keep popping up and remain popped up. I am referring to the one which shows and entire month calendar, along with the...
Time / Date pop-up settings in Customization
I've done a fair bit of searching on this one so I hope I've missed something or someone can help. When scrolling using the lower arrow in a maximized browser window, occasionally I hit the clock causing the massive pop-up. I can change the clock...
I upgraded like everyone else in July and my laptop is working perfectly however my desktop is having the problems. When I go to where the date and time is and left-click on it nothing happens. If I right click it will give me the options to...
Right now, and for no apparent reason, when I click on the task bar on the start menu, the search function or the date/time, nothing happens.... This first appeared during a background Windows update (I realized later, during reboot, that Windows...
OK, I've done the settings for the time & date. However, no matter how wide I make the Taskbar, the short form continues to be shown. In Windows 7, when the Taskbar was widened, the long form would be shown. Is there something I need to do here? ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:29.
Find Us