Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem

  1.    22 Aug 2016 #1

    Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem


    Hi Guys need help

    OS Windows 10
    Windows anniversary version updated

    so the problem is with folder ico customisation it is not staying permanently

    first i downloads a regular ico file from online source

    then i uses this method How to apply Permanent Icons - Windows 7 Windows 8 - YouTube to change the folder icon, it worked before but not working now

    my pc has 2 drives and Drive 1 - OS C SSD i'm getting the below result
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-22_19-37-28.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	97589
    the folder is test and able to get the work done
    but whenever i move this folder to any other drive like 2nd HDD drive or pendrive

    getting this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	97590

    any solution ?

    tried it in another laptop i have and works in it when this created in that device but when i copied it and tries to move it in pc same thing happening

    seems like some setting error but can't figure out
    any help will be appreciated
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,213
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       22 Aug 2016 #2

    Is the correct icon showing for a subFolder of another Folder? Seems to me something needs to be in that Folder or the root of a drive for it to show properly and when copying to a different place isn't picking up that something.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Aug 2016 #3

    When you set a custom folder, basically what you do is giving to the folder a path which redirects Explorer.exe to search for an icon on that path. It may not work, for example, if the file you set as icon gets moved. Sometimes you will still see it with your custom icon but that's just because of luck and "Icon Cache". Since it's a path, if you set as icon inside let's say an usb device an image in your computer, of course when you open that usb device in another computer you will NOT see the custom icon UNLESS that computer has an icon file with the exact same name and in the exact same path. In order to solve this you can set as folder icon an image which is in the same device. Then when you put that usb in another computer, it will look for the icon inside the usb device itself.
    The video you linked makes you do exactly this: you set as folder image an image inside the folder itself, and thus having this folder in any computer will make it show up with custom folder. Then the only errors i could think about is that you deleted the image, or the iconset you used does not have an image for the icon size selected in the computer you're failing. Try to increase/decrease icons size in that computer and see if your icon is showing up. The best would be having an ico with all the common sizes: 256, 124, 96, 72, 64, 48, 40(which is usualy forgotten), 32, 24.

    Also do not "create desktop.ini" as the tutorial say, because you will make a chaos with already existing desktop.ini informations. Insted from the folder, visualization menu, click on options. Get to the "visualization" tab, and uncheck "hide protected system files". Save changes. Then you will see a desktop.ini already does exist inside the folder. Open it and modify it as you saw in youtube's tutorial. The go back to options, check again "hide protected system files" and you're done. Do NOT in any case leave "hide protected system files" unchecked, cause you can accidentally touch things that shouldn't be touched. Uncheck it only when you need, then check it again. For your own safety.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Aug 2016 #4

    Berton said: View Post
    Is the correct icon showing for a subFolder of another Folder? Seems to me something needs to be in that Folder or the root of a drive for it to show properly and when copying to a different place isn't picking up that something.
    yes ico is in that folder and i didn't set for subfolders as there is going to be different content in that folder

    yes looks like so, to me seems like something is corrupted when copying maybe some registry like desktop.ini can't say for sure
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Aug 2016 #5

    Barnack said: View Post
    When you set a custom folder, basically what you do is giving to the folder a path which redirects Explorer.exe to search for an icon on that path. It may not work, for example, if the file you set as icon gets moved. Sometimes you will still see it with your custom icon but that's just because of luck and "Icon Cache". Since it's a path, if you set as icon inside let's say an usb device an image in your computer, of course when you open that usb device in another computer you will NOT see the custom icon UNLESS that computer has an icon file with the exact same name and in the exact same path. In order to solve this you can set as folder icon an image which is in the same device. Then when you put that usb in another computer, it will look for the icon inside the usb device itself.
    The video you linked makes you do exactly this: you set as folder image an image inside the folder itself, and thus having this folder in any computer will make it show up with custom folder. Then the only errors i could think about is that you deleted the image, or the iconset you used does not have an image for the icon size selected in the computer you're failing. Try to increase/decrease icons size in that computer and see if your icon is showing up. The best would be having an ico with all the common sizes: 256, 124, 96, 72, 64, 48, 40(which is usualy forgotten), 32, 24.

    Also do not "create desktop.ini" as the tutorial say, because you will make a chaos with already existing desktop.ini informations. Insted from the folder, visualization menu, click on options. Get to the "visualization" tab, and uncheck "hide protected system files". Save changes. Then you will see a desktop.ini already does exist inside the folder. Open it and modify it as you saw in youtube's tutorial. The go back to options, check again "hide protected system files" and you're done. Do NOT in any case leave "hide protected system files" unchecked, cause you can accidentally touch things that shouldn't be touched. Uncheck it only when you need, then check it again. For your own safety.

    thanks will try with different sizes
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Aug 2016 #6

    seems nothing works, this problem looks like is in windows 10itself specially the anniversary update
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Aug 2016 #7

    Try testing the usb in another computer with different systems like Windows XP/7/8.1. Check if it doesn't work in all the system or if it's a strictly Windows 10 problem. (you can check it also virtualizing theese systems via Virtual Box).
    Also can you post here a copy/paste of your desktop.ini?
    Another doubt i had, is the desktop.ini you're using inside the usb main folder or it's inside the folder you want to change?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Aug 2016 #8

    Barnack said: View Post
    Try testing the usb in another computer with different systems like Windows XP/7/8.1. Check if it doesn't work in all the system or if it's a strictly Windows 10 problem. (you can check it also virtualizing theese systems via Virtual Box).
    Also can you post here a copy/paste of your desktop.ini?
    Another doubt i had, is the desktop.ini you're using inside the usb main folder or it's inside the folder you want to change?
    well thanks for the heads up
    looks like it's a problem with windows 10 anniversary update
    currently facing problem with audio too
    rolling back to normal win 10 to be safe for now
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Dec 2016 #9

    temporary solution


    Jackpison said: View Post
    seems nothing works, this problem looks like is in windows 10itself specially the anniversary update
    hey, i had the same problem since the anniversary update, but after a lot of searching i've found a work around. zip the folders you want to copy. somehow this protects the customizations you've made.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Permanent BSDO in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello my friends, i have Win10 64 pt br build 158663-1511, and 5 or 6 times a day i have bsdo, suddenly, and i always lost my service. I'm 99,99% sure that my drivers are ok, i have all of anti-malwares anti adwares etc etc and no one find nothing...
I have two SSDs loaded with Windows 10 pro. One has been updated through Windows insider. It is now version 1511, build 10586.3 The other was updated yesterday from RTM build 105240 to version 1511, build 10583.3 Is there any difference at this...
Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24.
Find Us