Windows 10: Odd Sign-in versus Auto Sign-in Problem in 1607 Solved

  1.    05 Aug 2016 #1

    Odd Sign-in versus Auto Sign-in Problem in 1607


    After having done the update, I'm having two issues that are bugging me:

    1. I cannot change the lock screen from the "cave by the shore" default nor bypass it (Brink is working on the bypass issue I believe)

    2. If I go into netplwiz and uncheck the need for a password, the "Welcome" screen has the system default user picture, that drawing of a circle over an arch, not the picture I assigned to the account. With the need for a password, the picture on both the sign-in screen and "Welcome" screen is correct tho.

    The lock screen issue I can live with since I normally don't use a password, but the default user picture is bugging me. I went into %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures and replaced all the default pictures with ones the same name and size of the picture that I have for the account, but it still shows the default.

    I've searched around for another place where the default picture is, but cannot find any, even with the search including hidden system files.

    Anybody know where the system default user pictures are stored, other than in the User Account Pictures?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,086
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       05 Aug 2016 #2

    Hello TheSchaft,

    Q1) I've added OPTION THREE in the tutorial below to be able to disable the lock screen again, but it doesn't do so at startup.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option3


    Q2) I'm not aware of way to stop this yet when you have netplwiz set to automatically sign in to an account at startup. The blue note box at the top of the tutorial below will show you the default locations for account pictures to help.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Aug 2016 #3

    TheSchaft said: View Post
    After having done the update, I'm having two issues that are bugging me:

    1. I cannot change the lock screen from the "cave by the shore" default nor bypass it (Brink is working on the bypass issue I believe)

    2. If I go into netplwiz and uncheck the need for a password, the "Welcome" screen has the system default user picture, that drawing of a circle over an arch, not the picture I assigned to the account. With the need for a password, the picture on both the sign-in screen and "Welcome" screen is correct tho.

    The lock screen issue I can live with since I normally don't use a password, but the default user picture is bugging me. I went into %ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures and replaced all the default pictures with ones the same name and size of the picture that I have for the account, but it still shows the default.

    I've searched around for another place where the default picture is, but cannot find any, even with the search including hidden system files.

    Anybody know where the system default user pictures are stored, other than in the User Account Pictures?
    Option 2 is a well known bug (to Insiders). Been reported many times now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Aug 2016 #4

    Thanks Brink and cereberus. Looks like I'll have to learn to love the system default user picture.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. tracit99's Avatar
    Posts : 284
    Windows 10 Pro 14393.969
       05 Aug 2016 #5

    TheSchaft said: View Post
    Thanks Brink and cereberus. Looks like I'll have to learn to love the system default user picture.
    I have been searching ever since build 14371 was released for the location of the default user picture on the login screen. I have not found it yet and I wonder if it is really a picture (.jpg or .png format). Remember the Hero background image. It was originally contained in a .pri type file which is a resource file format used by MS. Where it comes from may not be as important as can we change it. I suspect the default user picture on the login screen is some type of layer imposed on to the login screen. Note it is not solid like the other default pictures. I believe someone will find its source and find a way to change it or disable it. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by tracit99; 06 Aug 2016 at 06:45.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,086
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       12 Aug 2016 #6

    @TheSchaft,

    If you haven't already, you might see if this may help to set a default account picture for all users.

    User Logon Display Picture - Set Default for All Users
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    12 Aug 2016 #7

    Brink said: View Post
    @TheSchaft,

    If you haven't already, you might see if this may help to set a default account picture for all users.

    User Logon Display Picture - Set Default for All Users
    Shawn -

    That did it! I made the change in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Default Account Pictures folder and now I have the picture that I want during an autologin.

    A million thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,086
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       12 Aug 2016 #8

    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
So I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine. Before I had it set up so that I could log in with a password or fingerprint. Now it seems my only options are (1) password only OR (2) password, PIN or fingerprint. I don't want PIN as a...
Create Photo problem for sign in screen in User Accounts and Family Safety
When I click on the Browse button to find a photo to use for my sign on page, nothing happens. Any suggestions? I've attached a screen shot of the Settings page I am referring to. Browse Button does not work.
Solved Sign-in problem. in User Accounts and Family Safety
While signing-in, I get the following message. ------ Security policies on this computer are set to show info about the last interactive sign-in, but windows couldn't retrieve that info. Contact your network administrator for help. ----- Even...
Until yesterday everything was working fine. This night I shutdown my computer and this morning, when I started it up, I noticed the icons of my dekstop in the default location and with the default dimensions. I repositioned them , I changed icon...
Hi there I notice on build 10166 after a re-boot the icons / texts etc are TINY on a large monitor unless I SIGN OUT and SIGN back in again --not shutdown / restart but use the ALT-CTRL-DEL to get the Lock menu. Choose sign out and then sign back...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:27.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums