Windows 10: Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8,330
    Windows 10 Professional
       30 Apr 2015 #1

    Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu


    This simple Registry Tweak will disable the 'blur' effect behind the transparent Menu and Taskbar in Build 10074 and later.

    (Perform this tweak only if you are familiar and comfortable with making changes to the Windows Registry)

    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize in the Windows Registry
    and toggle the EnableBlurBehind value to 0.

    Close the Registry and restart Explorer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	18026

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000003.png 
Views:	1219 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	18027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000004.png 
Views:	1166 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	18028
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 21,938
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       30 Apr 2015 #2

    Edwin said: View Post
    This simple Registry Tweak will disable the 'blur' effect behind the transparent Menu and Taskbar in Build 10074 and later.

    (Perform this tweak only if you are familiar and comfortable with making changes to the Windows Registry)

    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize in the Windows Registry
    and toggle the EnableBlurBehind value to 0.

    Close the Registry and restart Explorer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	18026

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000003.png 
Views:	1219 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	18027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000004.png 
Views:	1166 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	18028

    That's kinda neat, Edwin. Have you experimented with the other settings yet? I'll let you blow up your machine first!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,330
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       30 Apr 2015 #3

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    That's kinda neat, Edwin. Have you experimented with the other settings yet? I'll let you blow up your machine first!
    Now that you mention it, yes. I did also add the SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD with a value of 0.

    (In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize create a SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD and set it's value to 0)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000009.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	18038
    Last edited by Edwin; 30 Apr 2015 at 08:08.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    30 Apr 2015 #4

    Thanks for the tip.. works like a charm.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,779
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       30 Apr 2015 #5

    Nice one Edwin, I don't mind the blur. I had to create the SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD but like it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,330
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       30 Apr 2015 #6

    Dude said: View Post
    Nice one Edwin, I don't mind the blur. I had to create the SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD but like it!
    Correct! I'll edit that post a bit!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       30 Apr 2015 #7

    I use The Classic Shell and it works well for what I use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       30 Apr 2015 #8

    Edwin said: View Post
    Correct! I'll edit that post a bit!
    Since you'll be editing anyway...

    Task Manger (press 'more details' if necessary),
    Right click Windows Explorer (easy to locate if you look for the icon)
    Select Restart

    edit: courtesy member Cliff S and WinBeta

    Here's what Microsoft had to say:
    "We’ve also heard loud in clear that many Windows Insiders want to see Aero Glass from Windows 7 make a comeback. We’ve been working out how to satisfy this request, and are trying some things out with this build to see how you like them.

    We’re running a little A/B test with this build. 50% of you will normal transparency on the Start menu and taskbar while the other 50% will see a blur effect on the Start menu and taskbar (like frosted glass). If Windows Insiders really like the blur effect, we will add it to more areas and even consider making it the default instead of standard transparency.

    Which one did you get? Send us feedback about it via the Windows Feedback app!"

    I'm normal ... er ... my transparency is normal
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 8,330
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       30 Apr 2015 #9

    Slartybart said: View Post
    We’re running a little A/B test with this build. 50% of you will normal transparency on the Start menu and taskbar while the other 50% will see a blur effect on the Start menu and taskbar (like frosted glass). If Windows Insiders really like the blur effect, we will add it to more areas and even consider making it the default instead of standard transparency.
    ??? Where's the logic behind that???
    That's just more confusion in my opinion.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    30 Apr 2015 #10

    With the tweak from the OP here's what my desktop looks like now:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	18106
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
It just kind of bothers me. Is this a problem or a feature?
How to Turn On or Off Start Menu and Taskbar Blur in Windows 10 This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10147 on June 18th 2015. In Windows 10, you can turn on or off the blur behind the Start menu and taskbar when you...
disable web search in General Support
On the start menu I do not like that 10 is searching the web for results. I've found the entries in group policy as shown below but that doesn't work.:mad: How do I disable web search from the start menu. Disable web results in Windows 10 search...
How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. Windows 10 build 9926 uses a new expandable Start menu without a Start screen and Apps...
Disable UAC in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
With the earlier builds, I had UAC disabled in the registry( just as I do for my host machine Windows 8.0 Pro) and everything worked fine. It was in your sister forum eightforums tutorial that I learned how to disable UAC in Windows 8. I also...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03.
Find Us