Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1.    26 May 2016 #51
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    On the MB the slot are really dark grey and blue, only the grey work, putting anything in the blue the pc won't start. I had them in right, I tripled checked each one. I couldn't go for i7, because of money availability. My psu is still good 750watt, and my WD is only 2 years old, I have 2 other drives and their old but have no problems with them. I look into getting a SSD maybe next year, right now money is an issue.
    From what it tells you in the manual using 2 RAM sticks you should use the Blue, using 1 RAM Stick you use the first Blue and using 4 of course then the grey to. This is as far as i can see from picture and in the manual, but if look at the motherboard those numbers should be there A1, A2, B1, B2.

    I understand it was just a suggestion on the Intel i7. What Brand and Model 750W PSU ? Hopefully that 2 year old WD was not the issue.
    Since you ordered a new board i still wondered if you wanted to still try fixing this issue if you intend on using it still for a second PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 May 2016 #52
    Join Date : May 2016
    Lima
    Posts : 146
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    I have no choice the blue ones don't work. PC seems to be running good with them in the grey slots. I couldn't find that in my manual. PSU is a Cosair. Even the motherboard doesn't even beep anymore on startup. My parts came today, and I called the place where I'm going to have them put the stuff in, if it wasn't MB and CPU I would have done everything myself. Will take it in tomorrow morning, then I have to get in touch with Microsoft support again to get a new key when I get the pc home. I'm going to let this issue go, I'm pretty sure the slots are bad as I tested them so the MB wouldn't be any good, plus there are no more BIOS updates for it. Thanks for your help.


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    From what it tells you in the manual using 2 RAM sticks you should use the Blue, using 1 RAM Stick you use the first Blue and using 4 of course then the grey to. This is as far as i can see from picture and in the manual, but if look at the motherboard those numbers should be there A1, A2, B1, B2.

    I understand it was just a suggestion on the Intel i7. What Brand and Model 750W PSU ? Hopefully that 2 year old WD was not the issue.
    Since you ordered a new board i still wondered if you wanted to still try fixing this issue if you intend on using it still for a second PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    26 May 2016 #53
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    I have no choice the blue ones don't work. PC seems to be running good with them in the grey slots. I couldn't find that in my manual. PSU is a Cosair. Even the motherboard doesn't even beep anymore on startup. My parts came today, and I called the place where I'm going to have them put the stuff in, if it wasn't MB and CPU I would have done everything myself. Will take it in tomorrow morning, then I have to get in touch with Microsoft support again to get a new key when I get the pc home. I'm going to let this issue go, I'm pretty sure the slots are bad as I tested them so the MB wouldn't be any good, plus there are no more BIOS updates for it. Thanks for your help.
    Well for what it's worth this is where i found it https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/
    Something you never told me about, beeps at startup.

    Putting a motherboard in a case and hooking stuff to it is not hard really, installing the CPU and the thermal paste might be a little harder for some. Great way to learn more and save money.

    O.k. that is fine about the older motherboard if you think it is bad it's probably not worth it and fact of getting a new one.
    One thing do not buy another key as of yet or talk to Microsoft we should be able to help you on getting windows 10 activated again on the new system and you have the ISO. Burn a disc or make a USB flash drive now if you did not already from the ISO.

    Your most welcome for the help,anytime !!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    26 May 2016 #54
    Join Date : May 2016
    Lima
    Posts : 146
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    There was just another update, and now I can't bootup again. There must be something about that update, it doesn't give you much info on it, so I don't know how to not install that one. I'm reinstalling again, this is really got the best of me.

    Microsoft support didn't say anything about it costing again. He said my copy of windows was installed and has key for this old MB, a new motherboard will need a new key which he said the techs can get or for me, he said just for me to go ahead when I get the pc home to chat back with him and get it activated.

    On the old MB I can't even get into safe mode, the repair wouldn't work and it said again I had no system restore points which I did because I check yesterday. Something about that update is messing things up, it has to be the update




    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Well for what it's worth this is where i found it https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/
    Something you never told me about, beeps at startup.

    Putting a motherboard in a case and hooking stuff to it is not hard really, installing the CPU and the thermal paste might be a little harder for some. Great way to learn more and save money.

    O.k. that is fine about the older motherboard if you think it is bad it's probably not worth it and fact of getting a new one.
    One thing do not buy another key as of yet or talk to Microsoft we should be able to help you on getting windows 10 activated again on the new system and you have the ISO. Burn a disc or make a USB flash drive now if you did not already from the ISO.

    Your most welcome for the help,anytime !!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    26 May 2016 #55
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    There was just another update, and now I can't bootup again. There must be something about that update, it doesn't give you much info on it, so I don't know how to not install that one. I'm reinstalling again, this is really got the best of me.

    Microsoft support didn't say anything about it costing again. He said my copy of windows was installed and has key for this old MB, a new motherboard will need a new key which he said the techs can get or for me, he said just for me to go ahead when I get the pc home to chat back with him and get it activated.

    On the old MB I can't even get into safe mode, the repair wouldn't work and it said again I had no system restore points which I did because I check yesterday. Something about that update is messing things up, it has to be the update
    Go to settings then Advanced Options then View Update History and if you click it it will show more info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	81811

    Most likely a driver issue as said, but you told me to forget about this board.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 May 2016 #56
    Join Date : May 2016
    Lima
    Posts : 146
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    Just got my pc back but windows won't install on my main drive says something about mbr I think. How do I get my drives to read write before I took it in? My main drive is partitioned into 2 drives, when I went in computer management it says it's main, but when I went to install a clean install it said I can't install it on there. Right now I'm doing a in place install over windows 10, Lord knows what drive that's going to end up on. I thought this was going to be easy, just get everything replaced boot into windows, get a new key and that's it



    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Go to settings then Advanced Options then View Update History and if you click it it will show more info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	81811

    Most likely a driver issue as said, but you told me to forget about this board.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 May 2016 #57
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    Just got my pc back but windows won't install on my main drive says something about mbr I think. How do I get my drives to read write before I took it in? My main drive is partitioned into 2 drives, when I went in computer management it says it's main, but when I went to install a clean install it said I can't install it on there. Right now I'm doing a in place install over windows 10, Lord knows what drive that's going to end up on. I thought this was going to be easy, just get everything replaced boot into windows, get a new key and that's it
    I am not that knowledgeable on this type of repair sometimes fixed by running repair from the Windows 10 disc used for when the computer won't boot which i think you may have used it for once. Seems the Master boot record is corrupt either from improper shutdown. This is not a Hard drive issue.
    Look here....
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows

    Best this hard drive is just reformatted for the new board anyway rather then trying to fix the MBR now. I am not positive on the exact error you are getting but all the same anyway. Not going to install windows on this drive then put it into the other motherboard if this is your thoughts this can be done then. Also considering will be different system drivers to be added to install on the other board. As far as the partitions i am not sure what is on each partition, one can be a recovery partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    27 May 2016 #58
    Join Date : May 2016
    Lima
    Posts : 146
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    Oh here's the error, someone else had it too but I couldn't understand the tut on changing the mbr to gpt disk....windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    I am not that knowledgeable on this type of repair sometimes fixed by running repair from the Windows 10 disc used for when the computer won't boot which i think you may have used it for once. Seems the Master boot record is corrupt either from improper shutdown. This is not a Hard drive issue.
    Look here....
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...rd-mbr-windows

    Best this hard drive is just reformatted for the new board anyway rather then trying to fix the MBR now. I am not positive on the exact error you are getting but all the same anyway. Not going to install windows on this drive then put it into the other motherboard if this is your thoughts this can be done then. Also considering will be different system drivers to be added to install on the other board. As far as the partitions i am not sure what is on each partition, one can be a recovery partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    27 May 2016 #59
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    Oh here's the error, someone else had it too but I couldn't understand the tut on changing the mbr to gpt disk....windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
    O.K. EFI systems can use either MBR or GPT Partition. First try to understand the differences in both...
    http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/what...oning-a-drive/

    Your new board will probably have UEFI instead of a BIOS and using GPT ( GUID Partition Table ) you may be better off but you can still use MBR.

    You have this issue with this drive on the older PC and unless you need something from one of the partitions on it i would just format this drive and do a clean install of windows 10 on the new PC, unless you do not want to use this drive for the new PC i was not sure.You can make partitions on a drive and much more with GPT.

    You can decide to use MBR or GPT according to how it is selected when booting from the Windows 10 disc to install Windows. You would select from the boot manager UEFI DVD Drive or UEFI:USB Drive. The only reason i can understand you wanting to fix it now with this drive is i believe you think it is better to have windows installed on it already for the new PC which i feel is not best.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    27 May 2016 #60
    Join Date : May 2016
    Lima
    Posts : 146
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    That is my better and faster drive it's always been my main drive


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    O.K. EFI systems can use either MBR or GPT Partition. First try to understand the differences in both...
    http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/what...oning-a-drive/

    Your new board will probably have UEFI instead of a BIOS and using GPT ( GUID Partition Table ) you may be better off but you can still use MBR.

    You have this issue with this drive on the older PC and unless you need something from one of the partitions on it i would just format this drive and do a clean install of windows 10 on the new PC, unless you do not want to use this drive for the new PC i was not sure.You can make partitions on a drive and much more with GPT.

    You can decide to use MBR or GPT according to how it is selected when booting from the Windows 10 disc to install Windows. You would select from the boot manager UEFI DVD Drive or UEFI:USB Drive. The only reason i can understand you wanting to fix it now with this drive is i believe you think it is better to have windows installed on it already for the new PC which i feel is not best.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Lock screen apps not showing up on lock screen
I've tried searching through the forum but can't see anyone who has a similar issue. I can access the lock screen settings and I can see all available apps and have set a detailed status app and a couple of less detailed ones. However, when I...
Software and Apps
Lock User Question
Hi everyone, I have a workstation which is used by multiple people. Well, now due the fact that everyone never really logs out of his account, but locks it, the consequence in case of someone shutting down or an electricity loss would be a loss of...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Lock up screen issues - hang on lock up
Hi All. I have a new one installed Lenovo T450s with Windows 10 Entreprise. I have joined the machine into a domain without some active GPO. When I'm at home or sitting at a customer and must unlock the screen, it takes a war! It is as if...
General Support
Solved Lock screen question
I'm new to Windows 10 upgrading from 7. Can someone enplane to me the settings on the lock screen called detailed status and quick states. I have played around with this and it does not effect my lock screen. Is this because i did not use a...
Customization
Solved Lock Screen Preview and Lock Screen nuisance
Can anyone tell me how to eliminate the lock screen preview and bypass the 'Sign In' button on the lock screen? I often put my computer to sleep then to bring it back (in Windows 7) I would simply hit the space bar and turn on my mouse and it...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums