Windows 10: Lock screen question

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    23 May 2016 #31

    text is too big to do it any other way
    Lock screen question Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,105
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 May 2016 #32

    debgram said: View Post
    text is too big to do it any other way

    A lot to look through i do not see what i mentioned before about possibility of this being due to an issue for some with display adapter drivers and Windows 10 i may have missed it with such a long CBS.log. Did you install drivers after the clean install ?

    Like you to try to run SFC again but not sure you tried running DISM commands afterwards to try fixing this. So do this again and let me know if the DISM Command gives you any errors, one type of error is source file not found.


    Right click the Start Menu select (admin) command prompt
    Copy and paste this into the command prompt and press enter, let it finish

    sfc /scannow


    Same open command prompt copy and paste this into command prompt and press enter, let it finish


    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 May 2016 #33

    Well I haven't had a very good last few days. Couldn't boot up again, system restore in repair said no restore points, windows couldn't repair itself. I ran a scan of the hard drive and all is fine no errors or anything to point to as it going bad. My conclusion and correct me if I'm wrong, it's my motherboard, it's about 5-6 years old. Right now I reinstalled a clean install again and only have my email installed. I ordered a new MB and since my setup I have did need to be upgraded, I was hoping for at least another year, cause I had to also get a new CPU, RAM and graphics card. My setup now is as far as it can go in upgrade, second generation i5, and the new MB is DDR4 RAM not 3, which is what I have now. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, the only other thing that would need upgraded would be the power supply, I have a 750 watt now and it's several years also. Would a bad power cause something like the problems and what would other symptoms be?


    jds63 said: View Post
    A lot to look through i do not see what i mentioned before about possibility of this being due to an issue for some with display adapter drivers and Windows 10 i may have missed it with such a long CBS.log. Did you install drivers after the clean install ?

    Like you to try to run SFC again but not sure you tried running DISM commands afterwards to try fixing this. So do this again and let me know if the DISM Command gives you any errors, one type of error is source file not found.


    Right click the Start Menu select (admin) command prompt
    Copy and paste this into the command prompt and press enter, let it finish

    sfc /scannow


    Same open command prompt copy and paste this into command prompt and press enter, let it finish


    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,105
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 May 2016 #34

    debgram said: View Post
    Well I haven't had a very good last few days. Couldn't boot up again, system restore in repair said no restore points, windows couldn't repair itself. I ran a scan of the hard drive and all is fine no errors or anything to point to as it going bad. My conclusion and correct me if I'm wrong, it's my motherboard, it's about 5-6 years old. Right now I reinstalled a clean install again and only have my email installed. I ordered a new MB and since my setup I have did need to be upgraded, I was hoping for at least another year, cause I had to also get a new CPU, RAM and graphics card. My setup now is as far as it can go in upgrade, second generation i5, and the new MB is DDR4 RAM not 3, which is what I have now. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, the only other thing that would need upgraded would be the power supply, I have a 750 watt now and it's several years also. Would a bad power cause something like the problems and what would other symptoms be?
    Wow, what started out as no lock screen went to sfc issues then no boot. You never explained exactly about what you saw when it was not booting, errors message or blank screen for me to make an assumption on a motherboard being bad as it could be many things causing this. Power supply would give you power issues (random shutdown) not enough voltage to run certain hardware and amount of power is not everything it's quality of the PSU and amps .

    True the motherboard maybe old but does not mean that is the issue for sure as i have had older boards myself for a long time. You might get the new motherboard and use most of the same hardware except maybe the graphics card and issue may still be there.

    I missed the scan of the hard drive, but what kind of scan through windows ? How about checkdisk ? SMART Health ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,105
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 May 2016 #35
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 May 2016 #36

    jds63 said: View Post
    Wow, what started out as no lock screen went to sfc issues then no boot. You never explained exactly about what you saw when it was not booting, errors message or blank screen for me to make an assumption on a motherboard being bad as it could be many things causing this. Power supply would give you power issues (random shutdown) not enough voltage to run certain hardware and amount of power is not everything it's quality of the PSU and amps .

    True the motherboard maybe old but does not mean that is the issue for sure as i have had older boards myself for a long time. You might get the new motherboard and use most of the same hardware except maybe the graphics card and issue may still be there.

    I missed the scan of the hard drive, but what kind of scan through windows ? How about checkdisk ? SMART Health ?
    I scan it doing the chkdsk command prompt. No error messages, just kept hanging on the little dots going around in a circle, then sometimes if it did kick in it would go to the login screen with nothing but the wallpaper there. I thought maybe I got a virus so that's why I formatting the drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 May 2016 #37

    No I didn't get any messages, just hard drive working, and working but screen not going anywhere but that rotating circle

    jds63 said: View Post
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 May 2016 #38

    I did a scannow about 3 hours ago and it came up fine this time
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,105
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 May 2016 #39

    debgram said: View Post
    I scan it doing the chkdsk command prompt. No error messages, just kept hanging on the little dots going around in a circle, then sometimes if it did kick in it would go to the login screen with nothing but the wallpaper there. I thought maybe I got a virus so that's why I formatting the drive.
    Checkdisk was done on a next restart with this command in the admin command prompt ?
    type chkdsk c: /f /r

    You said it goes to the login screen after a long time stuck on those circled dots, wasn't this happening before when it bypassed the lock screen ? So at the logon screen no box to input your password ? Just making sure i understand all.

    Now i know PC is running and no blank screens it may eliminate hardware issues. See any windows logos or ASUS logo say from BIOS ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,105
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       24 May 2016 #40

    Might be a driver issue why i asked before about any installed even display adapter or network adapter drivers.
    Basically hanging at boot. What types of drives on the PC, HDD or SSD ?

    Did you try DISM after a SFC as asked to again ? Post # 32
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I've tried searching through the forum but can't see anyone who has a similar issue. I can access the lock screen settings and I can see all available apps and have set a detailed status app and a couple of less detailed ones. However, when I...
Lock User Question in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi everyone, I have a workstation which is used by multiple people. Well, now due the fact that everyone never really logs out of his account, but locks it, the consequence in case of someone shutting down or an electricity loss would be a loss of...
Hi All. I have a new one installed Lenovo T450s with Windows 10 Entreprise. I have joined the machine into a domain without some active GPO. When I'm at home or sitting at a customer and must unlock the screen, it takes a war! It is as if...
Solved Lock screen question in Customization
I'm new to Windows 10 upgrading from 7. Can someone enplane to me the settings on the lock screen called detailed status and quick states. I have played around with this and it does not effect my lock screen. Is this because i did not use a...
Can anyone tell me how to eliminate the lock screen preview and bypass the 'Sign In' button on the lock screen? I often put my computer to sleep then to bring it back (in Windows 7) I would simply hit the space bar and turn on my mouse and it...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.
Find Us