1. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 4
    win10
       29 Jan 2015 #1

    Taskbar color - build 9926


    In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing.
    On the positive side, we've gained control over taskbar color through registry keys:
    To change the Taskbar color add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarColorOverride
    Format is hex, color foormat is BGR (not RGB, as would be more intuitive)
    To change Plate color (the color under active icon) add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR

    Format is hex, color format is BGR (again)

    To change Plate opacity add DWORD
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA
    Format is decimal, range 0-256


    To refresh just press Win key (Open and close Start menu).
    Example registry file (use at your risk and don't blame me for the global warming, etc, etc)
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR"=dword:00054de0
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA"=dword:00000100
    
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "TaskbarColorOverride"=dword:00635a56
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jan 2015 #2

    begem0t said: View Post
    In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing.
    On the positive side, we've gained control over taskbar color through registry keys:
    To change the Taskbar color add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarColorOverride
    Format is hex, color foormat is BGR (not RGB, as would be more intuitive)
    To change Plate color (the color under active icon) add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR

    Format is hex, color format is BGR (again)

    To change Plate opacity add DWORD
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA
    Format is decimal, range 0-256


    To refresh just press Win key (Open and close Start menu).
    Example registry file (use at your risk and don't blame me for the global warming, etc, etc)
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR"=dword:00054de0
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA"=dword:00000100
    
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "TaskbarColorOverride"=dword:00635a56
    Perfect!
    Takes a few tries to nail a specific color doing the RGB thing backwards but eventually you get it.
    Thanks a bunch!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    Canada
    Posts : 798
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
       29 Jan 2015 #3

    Edwin said: View Post
    begem0t said: View Post
    In build 9926 it seems that the Windows Taskbar transparency is gone. Which, for me, is not a good thing.
    On the positive side, we've gained control over taskbar color through registry keys:
    To change the Taskbar color add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarColorOverride
    Format is hex, color foormat is BGR (not RGB, as would be more intuitive)
    To change Plate color (the color under active icon) add DWORD:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR

    Format is hex, color format is BGR (again)

    To change Plate opacity add DWORD
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA
    Format is decimal, range 0-256


    To refresh just press Win key (Open and close Start menu).
    Example registry file (use at your risk and don't blame me for the global warming, etc, etc)
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideColorBGR"=dword:00054de0
    "TaskbarPlateOverrideOpacityA"=dword:00000100
    
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "TaskbarColorOverride"=dword:00635a56
    Perfect!
    Takes a few tries to nail a specific color doing the RGB thing backwards but eventually you get it.
    Thanks a bunch!
    @Edwin you may also be able to get a color close to what you want by Changing the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar in personalization which is a lot easier but more trial and error to find an exact color.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jan 2015 #4

    Yeah, I did that, so to speak but, I wanted the taskbar to be the same shade as the Start Menu, windows borders/headers, etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    Canada
    Posts : 798
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
       29 Jan 2015 #5

    Edwin said: View Post
    Yeah, I did that, so to speak but, I wanted the taskbar to be the same shade as the Start Menu, windows borders/headers, etc.
    Glad it worked somewhat, if I were to try begem0t's method above I would probably make a mistake somewhere resulting in a refresh. It is a good thing that begem0t is digging into the innards of Win 10 and sharing what is discovered. Hopefully when M$ makes the Start Menu Semi-Transparent as rumored in a future build we will have more control of picking our desired colors for these elements.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jan 2015 #6

    IownAmoneyPit said: View Post
    Edwin said: View Post
    Yeah, I did that, so to speak but, I wanted the taskbar to be the same shade as the Start Menu, windows borders/headers, etc.
    Glad it worked if I were to try begem0t's method above I would probably make a mistake somewhere resulting in a refresh. It is a good thing that begem0t is digging into the innards of Win 10 and sharing what is discovered.
    Yeah, I don't know where he dug those up but it works. If it doesn't work for you, simple delete the DWORD's you made and all will go back to defaults.
    This is what I've got so far, taskbar and all! Haven't quite nailed all the shades yet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000131.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	11397
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jan 2015 #7

    Here's what I did:
    I took a snippet of my Start Menu, found the RGB in Windows Paint then entered those 3 values into an online RGB to Hex convertor backwards then pasted the result into the DWORD value field.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000136.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	11399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000137.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	11401

    Takes a few tries to get it right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Canada
    Posts : 798
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
       29 Jan 2015 #8

    @Edwin I can get my active widow color almost the same as my start by using the brightness slider but then can't read the text so I will have to endure a lighter widow color until M$ fixes this.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	748 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	11402

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Widow color 2.PNG 
Views:	739 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	11404

    Edit: I like what begem0t posted and your solution to make it easier but it is way over my head. I remember it took me lots of careful practice to change a Drive Icon following Brink's Tut step by step.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    10
       02 Aug 2015 #9

    The taskbar plate doesn't seem to change color for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 4
    win10
       02 Aug 2015 #10

    dalpal said: View Post
    The taskbar plate doesn't seem to change color for me.
    The thread is old and relates only to previous insider builds. This tweak is now defunct.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Start, Taskbar, and Action Center Color - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
Turn On or Off Show Color on Start, Taskbar, and Action Center in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes a new black system theme across the Start menu, Taskbar, and Action Center. There is now support for AutoColor which pulls the primary color from...
Tutorials
Solved Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?
I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since...
Installation and Setup
Change the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar
To change the default Color of the Start Menu & Taskbar go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Personalization > Color And Appearance then select Show Color Mixer. These 3 sliders will modify the solid color chosen above that also modifies...
Customization
Solved Build 10074 color issues
The update installed without taking more than 2 hours. However, I once again found that it insists on installing the most current AMD CCC and drivers. Not only that but there are limited options for background colors this time. The hint came...
Windows Insider
Taskbar Color Override (In W10TP)
As you may have noticed, in Windows 10 Technical Preview - Build 9926, the taskbar, in most cases, seems to retain a much darker shade of color regardless of the color settings you choose. Here's some 'loose' instructions to override the default...
Customization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums