1.    05 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10

    Sub Menu Border and Colour Customisation


    Hi all,

    I'm wondering if you can help me with the issues I'm having with Windows 10.

    I recently did a reinstallation and since doing so, I'm unable to rectify 2 issues I'm having.

    The first is my system tray icons and sub menus for task bar icons having a 1px border like the following screenshot:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_05_17_02_512.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	52069

    The second, if I right click my taskbar icons, I want to make the colour match the rest of the colour scheme, not be black, like the following screenshot:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_05_17_04_553.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	52070

    Can anyone help with how to resolve these issues?

    Thanks all. :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,496
    Windows 10 Professional

    Hi supersonicsjm, welcome to tenforums.com!

    The translucent borders look like the effects of AeroLite, you'd have to go back to the default Windows 'borderless' theme.

    The only way to add matching colors to those elements would be to run a High Contrast Theme.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    05 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    OK, solved the border issue, guess I'll have to live with the black menu's though. Thanks a bunch for your help. :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Hi supersonicsjm, welcome to tenforums.com!

    The translucent borders look like the effects of AeroLite, you'd have to go back to the default Windows 'borderless' theme.

    The only way to add matching colors to those elements would be to run a High Contrast Theme.
    The colors can be adjusted via the registry. For example, I dislike how an accent color is applied not just to the Settings App text, but the start menu, taskbar, and window frames. With editing the ARGB [they might be ABGR, can't remember] hex values within the applicable keys, I kept my accent coloring within the Settings App text and eliminated it from applying to the start menu, taskbar, and window frames.

    It does take some time to do and get to the way you want, due to the alpha value, but it's worth it =]
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by JW0914 View Post
    The colors can be adjusted via the registry. For example, I dislike how an accent color is applied not just to the Settings App text, but the start menu, taskbar, and window frames. With editing the ARGB [they might be ABGR, can't remember] hex values within the applicable keys, I kept my accent coloring within the Settings App text and eliminated it from applying to the start menu, taskbar, and window frames.

    It does take some time to do and get to the way you want, due to the alpha value, but it's worth it =]
    I have looked into the registry values and tried tweaking some.

    Some I now know what they do, but others I'm not sure as they don't seem to affect anything.

    None of them seem to affect the menu's in question though.

    Does anyone know which registry value affects what?

    Also they are RGB not BGR. :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 181
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonicsjm View Post
    I have looked into the registry values and tried tweaking some.

    Some I now know what they do, but others I'm not sure as they don't seem to affect anything.

    None of them seem to affect the menu's in question though.

    Does anyone know which registry value affects what?

    Also they are RGB not BGR. :-)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\DefaultColors\Standard

    The color values in these keys are in hex value in the format of ARGB (A [Alpha] controls opaqueness/transparency), ranging from 0/00 - 255/FF [dec/hex - White would be decimal 255 255 255 or hex ffffff ]. I utilize colorpicker.com to determine hex values of decimal color codes. The built in Windows calculator has dec <-> hex conversion, however colorpicker.com allows you detemine what color you want, providing the output in hex and dec form.

    I think there's one or two additional keys as well, but can't remember for sure. It really is trial and error, and if one chooses to go this route, ensure you create a backup of the modified values, as if you apply a new theme or select a color in the Settings App, it will reset the values to the main accent color chosen and a darker/lighter value for additional accenting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Making the Taskbar/Start Menu match Window border colours exactly?
Hi everyone, I recently began making a custom theme, and have just started changing the theme colours. I used the registry editor to use a custom colour, and it has worked for the borders around windows. However the taskbar and start menu colour...
Customization
Right Click menu White ugly border! Windows 10 High Contrast Theme
44321 How can I get rid of this horible white border? Thanks! - Shawn
General Support
Left-hand side start menu true customisation?
Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of...
General Support
Start Menu Icons Disappear and colour changes
As per title. I'm thinking this might be video driver related as it happens mostly when I'm windowing a game and opening other apps etc. Problem: 35974 Usually it looks like this: 35977
General Support
Start Menu Customisation
I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to 'large icons' in the start customisation options, then set the start menu size to (say) 20 apps. Shaun posed a great solution to restoring the...
Customization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums