Windows 10: Different window bar colours for active and inactive windows?

  1.    26 Nov 2015 #1

    Different window bar colours for active and inactive windows?


    G'day everyone

    I'm using the Aerolite theme. I would like to have a distinct difference in colour between active and inactive windows (i.e. the window border and the window bar). In Windows 7 I was able to set the active window colour to blue and the inactive windows' colour to grey (similar to Windows Classic). Is there a way to do that in Windows 10? Simply having a darker and a lighter shade of the same colour won't be good enough -- I'd like to have two distinct colours.

    Thanks
    Samuel
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    26 Nov 2015 #2

    The aerolite themes are High Contrast. Many colors have conflicts with taskbar icons and live tiles. I think that why they removed these features. The colors can be changes with different theme files. I am building a mess full of themes to occupy my time these days. My latest was MDolphins and turned out pretty good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    26 Nov 2015 #3

    If you upgrade to the November update, then there are already big differences between active and inactive colors. This was one of the major changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 9,010
    Windows 10 Professional
       26 Nov 2015 #4

    ugcheleuce said: View Post
    G'day everyone

    I'm using the Aerolite theme. I would like to have a distinct difference in colour between active and inactive windows (i.e. the window border and the window bar). In Windows 7 I was able to set the active window colour to blue and the inactive windows' colour to grey (similar to Windows Classic). Is there a way to do that in Windows 10? Simply having a darker and a lighter shade of the same colour won't be good enough -- I'd like to have two distinct colours.

    Thanks
    Samuel
    Hi ugcheleuce:

    Not everyone appreciates High Contrast Themes but switching colors of Active and Inactive Title Bars almost works.
    With the Nov updates, only the text dims on the inactive window; not terrible though, if you choose the right colors.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000063.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	50688
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    27 Nov 2015 #5

    SonicBlue said: View Post
    The aerolite themes are High Contrast.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by that. The Aero Lite theme that I installed does not appear to be a high contrast theme.

    I installed it (yesterday, when I upgraded from Win7 to Win10) because WinAeroTweaker requires it. I used WinAeroTweaker to thicken the borders of my windows (that in itself is already a great help, because it helps me to see separate windows more clearly when they overlap).

    Many colors have conflicts with taskbar icons and live tiles.
    I changed the opacity/glassiness of my taskbar yesterday, but I can't remember how I did it. I don't use live tiles.

    The colors can be changes with different theme files.
    Do Windows theme files allow one to specify different colours for active and inactive windows?

    Thanks
    Samuel
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Nov 2015 #6

    I think that users like Edwin who use 10 PRO have the option screen above that he has posted. I use home so it is not available from what I see. So the only way I have found in Home is to change the palette colors in the HC themes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 9,010
    Windows 10 Professional
       27 Nov 2015 #7

    SonicBlue said: View Post
    I think that users like Edwin who use 10 PRO have the option screen above that he has posted. I use home so it is not available from what I see. So the only way I have found in Home is to change the palette colors in the HC themes.
    Hi SonicBlue:

    You need Brink's 'Personalization Classic' right click menu extension:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000064.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	678.6 KB 
ID:	50733
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    27 Nov 2015 #8

    Wow thanks Edwin, I have been doing it the hard way by editing theme files by hand. I see this ads Inactive and active title colors. Will explore this some more.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 9,010
    Windows 10 Professional
       27 Nov 2015 #9

    SonicBlue said: View Post
    Wow thanks Edwin, I have been doing it the hard way by editing theme files by hand. I see this ads Inactive and active title colors. Will explore this some more.
    You're welcome. Have fun!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi everyone, I recently began making a custom theme, and have just started changing the theme colours. I used the registry editor to use a custom colour, and it has worked for the borders around windows. However the taskbar and start menu colour...
I have the Aero Lite theme and like it, except for the grey caption on the title when the window is inactive. Is there any way the to have just grey text when the window is inactive? In other words, how do i get rid of the grey caption? ...
Just got Win 10 and if I have many windows open there is no distinction between which are active and which aren't. Before the active window would have a colored toolbar at the top while the inactive windows would be colorless or white. I've went...
OK, so I have installed Win10 (9926) from the ISO image, and managed to customise it a bit, but there are still some annoyances, like... ... the taskbar colour (thankfully opaque in Win10) and the windows title bar colours are always the same. I...
One of the things I find most annoying about Windows 7, being a long-time XP user, is the lack of independent colour settings for the various GUI elements, for example, the taskbar, active window title bar and active window border colours are not...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28.
Find Us