Windows 10: Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer"
Get Win 7 icons back in Win 10- "how to successfully use Icon Changer"
Win 10 with Win 7 icons- note drive, folders, recycle bin, My PC - 77 Win 7 icons altogether.
Hi, Icon Changer
is meant to replace 77 icons in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll with icons from Win 7 in 1 operation, + a restart. And that would be really convenient after the recent major update, where my pretty Win 7 icons (I used Icon Changer and was lucky) reverted to Win 10's icons.
However, most of the time Icon Changer fails to update the icons- because it fails to replace imageres.dll with the updated copy it creates.
Here's how to use it so it does work.
The trick is to restart to a command prompt to manually copy the updated imageres.dll file it creates to C:\Windows\System32\
1. Run Icon Changer as directed as admin to create a patched copy of imageres.dll in Icon Changer's installation folder- the icons are replaced from the Resource folder in Icon Changer's installation folder.
2. Ignore the prompt to restart - the problem seems to be it fails to copy that updated imageres.dll to
3. For convenience later, copy this imageres.dll to C:\Windows\System32\imageres-new.dll
4. Do a SHIFT restart (hold SHIFT KEY and click Restart) to get to the troubleshooting options.
5. Navigate to 'Command Prompt'
6. Now enter
REN C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll C:\Windows\System32\imageres-orig.dll
REN C:\Windows\System32\imageres-new.dll C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
to replace imageres.dll with the one containing the new icons.
7. Restart and hopefully admire your smart Win 7 icons.
Hi, I just upgraded from W8.1 to W10 and it looks like the icons got smaller by default in the "details" view in the File Explorer.
My problem is that now the overlay icons which are used by TortoiseSVN do not seem to show anymore in...
Hi. Does anyone else have this problem? I turn off the "always show all icons" and customize what I want to be shown. I don't like clutter, so I like hiding a lot of the systray crap. Almost every time I reboot though, the "always show all...
Hello, please help me figure this out, I would like to change default folder icon, but don't know how. I think it can be done with regedit, but I need a little help to navigate where and what to change, please help :)
This icon appears when you...
I wonder if there is a way (through editing system files or registry) to change Windows 10 Start Menu "All apps" to something else like "My Programs". Also where is the icon file located in the system and how to change the default icon.
I really don't like the term "All Apps" on the new Start menu. I would like to put it back to "All Programs". Does anyone have any idea if this can be changed?
I don't use "apps". I'm not a mobile device user; I have a custom-built tower and I...