Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    windows 10
       #1

    Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields


    For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various fora, etc. but not in Excel.

    Prior to installing Windows 10, the highlight in a text-entry field was either pale grey (on dark backgrounds) or darker grey (on light backgrounds), which is what I'd like to have back.

    Any ideas?
      My Computer

  2. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,293
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #2

    Are you talking about doing this, but with gray and not red?
    Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields-image-001.png


    1. Open up Notepad
    2. copy the registry settings in the code box(left click 3 times slowly)
    3. Paste into NotePad
    4. You will need to find the RGB values(if the ones I have supplied are not what you want) for the color you want, and change them.
    5. Create a registry file by saving(to Desktop or Documents) as TextColor.reg
    6. Double click the reg file.
    7. Sign out, sign in and your finished.
    8. To change the values just right click the file and choose edit, make the changes, save, close and see point #6


    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
    "Hilight"="192 192 192"
    "MenuHilight"="192 192 192"
    Light Gray RGB=192 192 192
    Darker Gray RGB= 105 105 105

    Here is the reg file in case you have problems doing it yourself, using light gray: GrayHighlights.zip

    Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something
      My Computers

  3. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,293
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #3

    Note: I forgot to mention the above will only work "stick" for the current theme you're on. If you change themes(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization) you need to reapply it.

    You can also save the theme in case you want to go back and not have to reapply every time you go back.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 13
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Cliff S said:
    Note: I forgot to mention the above will only work "stick" for the current theme you're on. If you change themes(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization) you need to reapply it.

    You can also save the theme in case you want to go back and not have to reapply every time you go back.
    Perfect! Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info, AND the file! I'm not a "theme changer" - I have one I love and it just stays there forever.

    Have a GREAT day!
      My Computer

  5. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,293
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #5

    vkaryl said:
    Perfect! Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info, AND the file! I'm not a "theme changer" - I have one I love and it just stays there forever.

    Have a GREAT day!
    You're welcome:)
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #6

    Cliff S said:
    Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something
    It worked for some highlighting, but not all, so you know of a way to apply it to all?
    I can't stand the default neon blue... :c
      My Computer


  7. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,293
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #7

    JimmyH said:
    It worked for some highlighting, but not all, so you know of a way to apply it to all?
    I can't stand the default neon blue... :c
    Hello Jimmy, welcome to Ten Forums.
    Could you explain more, or better yet, post a screen shot of where it's not working? It could be, because the color is "hard coded" in some apps & programs, that don't follow the system theme. But a screenshot might help more.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #8

    Halfway through writing a response, I saw your signature and decided to try it out. Found what I was looking for and changed it.

    Thanks for the semi-indirect help, haha.
      My Computer

  9. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,293
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #9

    JimmyH said:
    Halfway through writing a response, I saw your signature and decided to try it out. Found what I was looking for and changed it.

    Thanks for the semi-indirect help, haha.
    You downloaded SMACC? It's a great tool! I use it for all my AeroHybrid themes.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #10

    Cliff S said:
    You downloaded SMACC?
    Yeah, apparently I was looking for "hot tracking color".
    I haven't messed around with anything else yet, but knowing how picky I am with my computer settings, I'll probably check it out soon.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums