Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    13 Oct 2015 #11
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,376
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    I don't believe it! You were right. In preview you can see the screensaver as it should, but when time comes to automatically launch it removes the wallpaper and uses a solid color as background. The funny thing is that you cannot adjust any settings from Windows (message that this screensaver has no settings you can adjust) and Screensaver Tweaker has no effect on that! This must be a bug on Windows 8.1 and 10. Yes, I just checked, the same is true in Windows 8.1. As far as I know there is some difference in the way DirectDraw and Direct3D are implemented in Windows 8.1 and 10 from that of Windows 7. Here must be the cause of the bug because this screensaver was introduced in Vista and included in newer Windows versions without modifications. Sorry, I cannot suggest any solution. If Screensaver Tweaker cannot make it work, no other utility probably will as it modifies the same registry keys. I suggest to leave this screensaver alone and use a nicer one, such as Marine Aquarium screensaver.

    I rest my case...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Oct 2015 #12
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 260
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks spapakons
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Oct 2015 #13
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,376
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    Well I don't like bugs, so I did a little Google search about the issue. I was shocked to read in a Microsoft tech forum that this is not a bug! Microsoft deliberately disabled screensavers drawing over desktop in Windows 8 and 10 because they had problem doing that right in Metro interface (the one with the tiles instead of old desktop)! I also found a solution: You can download a utility such as Watch 4 Idle which can be set to trigger an action when the computer is idle for a set interval in seconds. This can be to make it sleep or shutdown or restart, or execute a program. The last one is what we need. A screensaver is just a Windows program with SCR extension instead of EXE. So we can make Watch 4 Idle execute the Bubbles screensaver after a set number of seconds the computer is idle! Doing that is like pressing the preview button, so the screensaver will run as in Windows 7, that is over our currently open windows, and not in a solid colored background! Yes, I tested it! It works!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Configure Watch for Idel to start bubbles screensaver.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	42611

    First we must disable the Windows screensaver, so there is no conflict with Watch 4 Idle when used to start the screensaver. To do that, click on the search icon and type screen. Click on Change screen saver. Make that to none, so screensaver is not activated by Windows. Then run Watch 4 Idle and check the Execute a program or batch box. Now click on the folder icon to browse for that program. By default will only display EXE and BAT files. So we much select All files *.* to display every file type. Now we browse to C:\Windows\System32 (folder System32 in folder Windows in hard disk C) and select the file Bubbles.scr (the extension may be hidden) and press OK to confirm. After doing that correctly, the program should look like the screenshot above. Set the desired time in seconds at the top. Click on the Start button to activate it. Check the Auto start on computer startup box to load every time you load Windows. Click on the Tray button to minimize program at system tray.

    That's it! After the computer is idle for the specified interval the Bubbles screensaver will load automatically, but this time it will work as it should!

    Glad to help!

    PS: Back in the days of Windows 3.1 (early '90s) there was no native screensaver support in the operating system. We would install third party programs that displayed a screensaver (usually pictures) after a set interval. When I read about the workaround using Watch 4 Idle, I remembered just that! Because of Microsoft's stupid "design changes" (they don't dare call them bugs) we have to return over 20 years back in terms of how a screensaver works! Welcome back to the future!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Oct 2015 #14
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 260
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for all the info spapakons, looks like a handy program to have.
    Z
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Nov 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    How do I convert a series of photos to a .scr file?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Nov 2015 #16
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,376
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    Quote Originally Posted by jbacinti View Post
    How do I convert a series of photos to a .scr file?
    You don't need to do that. Just use the Photos screensaver. If you want to create your own screensaver there are several applications. In the past (Windows XP) I used Axialis screensaver producer. Haven't seen the new version, but then I could create a screensaver from a series of pictures or a Flash file, or even a video file.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Nov 2015 #17
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 1
    windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by spapakons View Post
    Well I don't like bugs, so I did a little Google search about the issue. I was shocked to read in a Microsoft tech forum that this is not a bug! Microsoft deliberately disabled screensavers drawing over desktop in Windows 8 and 10 because they had problem doing that right in Metro interface (the one with the tiles instead of old desktop)! I also found a solution: You can download a utility such as Watch 4 Idle which can be set to trigger an action when the computer is idle for a set interval in seconds. This can be to make it sleep or shutdown or restart, or execute a program. The last one is what we need. A screensaver is just a Windows program with SCR extension instead of EXE. So we can make Watch 4 Idle execute the Bubbles screensaver after a set number of seconds the computer is idle! Doing that is like pressing the preview button, so the screensaver will run as in Windows 7, that is over our currently open windows, and not in a solid colored background! Yes, I tested it! It works!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Configure Watch for Idel to start bubbles screensaver.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	42611

    First we must disable the Windows screensaver, so there is no conflict with Watch 4 Idle when used to start the screensaver. To do that, click on the search icon and type screen. Click on Change screen saver. Make that to none, so screensaver is not activated by Windows. Then run Watch 4 Idle and check the Execute a program or batch box. Now click on the folder icon to browse for that program. By default will only display EXE and BAT files. So we much select All files *.* to display every file type. Now we browse to C:\Windows\System32 (folder System32 in folder Windows in hard disk C) and select the file Bubbles.scr (the extension may be hidden) and press OK to confirm. After doing that correctly, the program should look like the screenshot above. Set the desired time in seconds at the top. Click on the Start button to activate it. Check the Auto start on computer startup box to load every time you load Windows. Click on the Tray button to minimize program at system tray.

    That's it! After the computer is idle for the specified interval the Bubbles screensaver will load automatically, but this time it will work as it should!

    Glad to help!

    PS: Back in the days of Windows 3.1 (early '90s) there was no native screensaver support in the operating system. We would install third party programs that displayed a screensaver (usually pictures) after a set interval. When I read about the workaround using Watch 4 Idle, I remembered just that! Because of Microsoft's stupid "design changes" (they don't dare call them bugs) we have to return over 20 years back in terms of how a screensaver works! Welcome back to the future!
    works great in windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Nov 2015 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by spapakons View Post
    You don't need to do that. Just use the Photos screensaver. If you want to create your own screensaver there are several applications. In the past (Windows XP) I used Axialis screensaver producer. Haven't seen the new version, but then I could create a screensaver from a series of pictures or a Flash file, or even a video file.

    I'll try your suggestion. Funny though, the default screen saver selecting the "Photos" option works as advertised on another almost identical PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 Apr 2016 #19
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10

    While there are ways to work around the solid background in order to use transparent screensavers in Windows 10, which I managed to locate on one particular IT professionals site, it still failed to work on my Dell Desktop. As such, having worked with computers for many years including having done computer operations I chose a very simple method, which was to simply copy and paste the little Microsoft "Bubbles" icon from my Windows system 32 files and place it on the bottom right hand corner of my desktop. At that point, all one needs to do is simply click on the icon and you'll have your transparent background. Set your screensaver setting to "None" and then just click the icon on your desktop. I have about a half dozen transparent screensavers that I have neatly lined up in this area of my desktop and it's that simple. Hope this helps for those who enjoy their transparent screensavers as much as I do. Note: I did switch my mouse back to a USB mouse, since using my wireless mouse would wear down the battery, but no big deal and it works fine. This won't harm your operating system in any way because all you've done is copy and paste it to your desktop allowing these types of screensavers to perform transparently in Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    19 Apr 2016 #20
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 168
    win 10 HOME

    Just curious i work on a ship, could the Bubbles follow the movement of the rocking of the ship with the built in accelloromiter of the tablet that would be wild
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Using Screen Saver with two monitors
My setup uses two monitors. I am running a screen saver (a very old one by Firehand which works fine) but I can't get it to work the way I want with the two screens. At present when it kicks in, the displayed image alternates between the two...
Customization
screen saver logon?
I installed windows 7 on my mother's computer, she registered for the update and got windows 10. she was using it for a while.. then two days ago I noticed her screen wasn't going to the blank screen saver anymore. now instead, there is the time...
General Support
How do I set up screen saver
How do I set up a screen saver in windows 10
Customization
My screen saver keeps resetting itself
My screen saver keeps resetting itself to one minute after boot up, and then doesn't come on till I actually reset it back to four minutes. This happens after restarting my machine. I remember this happened to me years ago in XP, but can't...
General Support
No screen saver
I upgraded to Win10 Home yesterday and I cannot get the screensaver to do anything. It never starts no matter which one I use or what time I set it for.
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums