Free PD Artist 9.6
So what is PD Artist
and what is it not? PD Artist is similar to its big brother, PD Howler, but PD Artist focuses on photos and images — you will do a lot of magical tricks to help you in your creative quest for visual effects!
PD Artist does go beyond its little cousin PD Particles, which is primarily made for painting. PD Artist includes many more filters and tools for special effects. It also includes a 3D pipeline for rendering a variety of things such as natural looking terrains and fictitious landscapes, typically based on one or several currently loaded images, from the Main image to the Swap image and even to an image in the custom brush.
The starting image can be a simple black and white or greyscale of dimples and dots or grids, squares and more sophisticated patterns. It can also be plasma-based noisy elevation maps. What you can create from it are a variety of scenes with mountains, endless landscapes that tile and repeat forever until disappearing in the distant fog, or simply make awesome 3D logos too. It’s all starting with an image, whether it’s something you painted yourself, or rendered in another 3D program, or something that you photographed. Pixels are pixels, and the brighter they are, the higher up in elevation they’ll appear. The dark ones will define the lower elevations, such as valleys and canyons, river beds and an abbyss at the edge of your planetary vision.
PD Artist also includes a great set of brushes for various natural looking, painted medias, including effects like sophisticated pigment lifting(!). This helps in simulating translucent watercolor. You can add paper texture to be revealed through your brush strokes, like in real water colors when painting on rough paper.
And of course Dogwaffle’s Particle brushes, which include the original Optipustics, perfect for grass and weeds, as well as the crazy Orbicles, which are orbiting 3D swarms of pixels that follow the mouse and leave trails. PD Artist also now has the amazing Foliage brushes. Those are more advanced and consist of not just one rule for particles, but multiple rules, up to 9. Each rule can define the size, direction, color and other parameters of a full tree, from the trunk to the big branches to thinner branches, twigs and leaves and flowers on top. Draw a single brush stroke, and see a full bush or tree created right in front of your eyes, following your mouse direction and speed as well as undergoing its own transformation with gravity, shading and even image-based force fields for even crazier deformation!
With that in mind, here is a more detailed list of features found in PD Artist 9:
Filters and Special FX
- Natural media, many presets, fully customizable
- Full tablet support
- Custom brushes, bristle brushes, particle brushes, brushes under the influence of force fields
- 3D orbiting particle brushes (Orbicles)
- Dynamic Rules-based Foliage brushes
- Animated (multi-frame) custom brushes. Load image sequnces or AVI into the brush and paint!
- Pigment lifting, shadow drop, paper embossing and other post FX for even more realistic paint effects
- Well over 100 fast and full featured filters. Real-time is our middle name. See below for more on our Filters
- Premium color mixing tools. Red-yellow-blue, palette mixer, lots more.
- Multi-monitor support
- Mirror mode and Symmetrical painting, Kaleidoscope mode
- Frame your artwork
- Brush keying
- Numerous filters (140 and counting)
- Filters for still images + Filters for animations (in animated brushes)
- Adjust: Color, Value, Threshold, Saturation, Hue/Sat/Val, Auto balance, Tint, Value only contrast, Levels, Curves, Color FX, Adjust All…
- Color: Map to current gradient, Negative, Invert value, Swap channels, Roll channels, Power curve, Posterize, Color replacer, Solarize, Sepia, Halftone, Halftone plus, Graphic halftone, Duotone, Tritone, 12-bit dither, 8-bit-dither, 1-bit-dither (Optimized, Error diffused, random,…)
- Blur: Simple blur, Box filter, Gaussian blur, Custom blur, Motion blur, Zoom blur, Mystic vision, Chroma blur, Radial blur
Photographic: Soft contrast improvement, Light diffusion, Star filter, Fish eye, Fog filter, Sunset, Polarize, Day for night, Remove red from selection
- Sharpen: Sharpen, Unsharp mask, Digital photo enhance, maX sharpen
- Convolve: Grey emboss, Color emboss, Edge detect, Sobel edge detect, Color sobel edges, Maximum, Median, Minimum, MaxMin, MinMaxz, High pass, Abs, Gradient convolve, Convolution kernel, Iterative median, Adjustable median, Adjustable maximum, Adjustable minimum
- Noise: Value noise, Color noise, Jitter, Jitter blur plus, Film grain
- Transform: Transform, Shift, Warp mesh, Isometric 3d, 3D designer, Puppy Ray (Ray tracing) Spherize, Globe, Textrix, Z noise, Twirl, Crystalize, Sinoid, Mosaic, Quilt, Rubber sheet, Wave distort, Mirage, Mirror, Fisheye correction, 3d perspective
- Video: Slate color bars, De-interlace, Reverse fields, Reduce flicker, Video lines, Legalize (NTSC), Legalize (PAL), Countdown, TV pixels, Raster lines, Shift RGB, Repair dropput
- Artistic: Apply current paper, Wet paint, Brush strokes, Tarnish, Weave, Graphic Pen, Oilify, Cross contour, Woodcut
- Stylize: Lighting tool (3D), Glowing edges, Plastic wrap, Waxify
- Render: Plasma noise, Bumby toy, Noises (Perlin1, 2, Fractal, Cosine), Radiant, Sky, Dread plating, Cellular, Checkerboard, Cold lava, Europa, Starfield, Brick texture, Woodgrain, Grid, Zrings, Mandelbrot, Triangles, Color cubes
- Combine with Swap: Mix buffers, Alpha blit, Premultiplied alpha blit, Additive, Subtractive, Multiply, Divide, Screen, Luminance, Complement, Difference, Around grey, Greater than, Less than, Texturize, Binary, Hue, Sat, Val, And, Or, Xor
- Composite with Swap: Green screen, Blue screen, Color key
- Displace by Swap: Displace, Cloaking displace, Pool displace, Jitter displace, Colortwirl displace
- Emboss by Swap
- And many more: LUA filters (gluas), 3rd-party: DoggyFX, AnyFX for PD (by Pixelan), other 3rd-party plugins, make your own (free programming API), Audio Recorder, CalendarWidget, Channels, Clock, Clock2, DogLuaBrowser, DogLuaEdit, Fieldpack, Forcefield, FramefromClipboard, Halloween_Clock2, Hexadecimal Picker, HexPackedCOlor, MatteCutter, MediaPlayerWidget, ModDogPlayer (music), NumericSelect, Penny (another paint program within the paint program!!!), Black hole, BlueRemove, Brick texture, LightBloom, Mirrage, Oilify, SmudgeStick, Triangles, Lightning, heavenly Lens