Did they change windows spotlight tips sometime ago?


  1. Posts : 101
    Windows 10
       #1

    Did they change windows spotlight tips sometime ago?


    I remember spotlight used to give tips about the current background. Specifically 2 tips about the background and then the "Like what you see" panel. However, now it seems that spotlight gives the "Like what you see" panel and 2 random tips they find online... Instead of info about the background it's giving me info such as "Upgrade to W11" or "How to stay focused" tips...

    Was this changed sometime ago? I don't recall changing any settings.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 34,306
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    I still see the info about the background, but I have also ensured I get nothing about Win 11 e.g. on the Windows Updates Setting screen.

    MS sometimes changes things delivered from their servers though- e.g. change in background to dark for taskbar search box recently.
    Last edited by dalchina; 11 Nov 2021 at 13:49.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 101
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I'm going to attribute it to microsoft being weird I guess. I went ahead and used the reset and re-register windows spotlight tutorial and it started giving me normal background info tips again.

    Edit: after a few days it's back to windows 11 and random microsoft stuff again... sometimes I hate windows
    Last edited by yesir360; 15 Nov 2021 at 23:05.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 101
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    dalchina said:
    I still see the info about the background, but I have also ensured I get nothing about Win 11 e.g. on the Windows Updates Setting screen.

    MS sometimes changes things delivered from their servers though- e.g. change in background to dark for taskbar search box recently.
    Every week it changes back to microsoft ads (I'm calling it this) and I have to manually delete the localstate and settings from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy... May I ask how you are ensuring you get nothing about Win 11 in the Windows Updates Settings?
      My Computer

  5. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 34,306
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #5

    You may indeed... as I've posted elsewhere by setting the target build in group policy (or can be done in the registry). Tutorial available and numerous articles available on line.
      My Computers

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 22,791
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    yesir360 said:
    Every week it changes back to microsoft ads (I'm calling it this) and I have to manually delete the localstate and settings....
    For each picture that is downloaded there also seems to be a separate download that contains the 'tips'. I say this because once in a while I have had a picture that has come with no tips at all. MS seem to decide what type of tips come with each picture. The choice of whether all the tips relate to the picture, or just the 'like what you see' with the rest ads for MS, seems to be made by MS. I doubt that resetting Spotlight would make any difference to the ratio of ads vs info tips that you'll see.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 101
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bree said:
    For each picture that is downloaded there also seems to be a separate download that contains the 'tips'. I say this because once in a while I have had a picture that has come with no tips at all. MS seem to decide what type of tips come with each picture. The choice of whether all the tips relate to the picture, or just the 'like what you see' with the rest ads for MS, seems to be made by MS. I doubt that resetting Spotlight would make any difference to the ratio of ads vs info tips that you'll see.
    It always starts off as normal tips then switches to ads after a few days or a week. I'll try the targetting mentioned by dalchina and see if that helps.
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 22,791
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    yesir360 said:
    It always starts off as normal tips then switches to ads after a few days or a week.
    In my experience the type of tips you see, adverts or info, seems to be chosen individually for each picture by Microsoft at their server before delivering the photos. For any particular picture all PCs then see the same tips, that I can confirm as I have several PCs and often see the same picture on more than one of them.

    As far as I can tell it's not something you can control at your end. If you left it alone you would see info tips again, as I do. I must admit though, the ads/info ratio does seem to have swung toward more ads recently, but I fear you will have no luck in changing that whatever you try at your end. It appears to be set at the server before the picture gets sent out.

    For example, here's what I see today on one of my machines, info tips. Yesterday's Spotlight picture was advertising Edge.

    Did they change windows spotlight tips sometime ago?-image.png
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 101
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:
    In my experience the type of tips you see, adverts or info, seems to be chosen individually for each picture by Microsoft at their server before delivering the photos. For any particular picture all PCs then see the same tips, that I can confirm as I have several PCs and often see the same picture on more than one of them.

    As far as I can tell it's not something you can control at your end. If you left it alone you would see info tips again, as I do. I must admit though, the ads/info ratio does seem to have swung toward more ads recently, but I fear you will have no luck in changing that whatever you try at your end. It appears to be set at the server before the picture gets sent out.

    For example, here's what I see today on one of my machines, info tips. Yesterday's Spotlight picture was advertising Edge.

    Did they change windows spotlight tips sometime ago?-image.png
    Thanks for mentioning your experiences. I also do feel like I've been getting way more ads than non ads. I suppose it is a pretty effective way to put out ads.
    Also, if the target release version is the one with 21H1 and similar, I did set that for a while now. Not sure if there's a separate one for W11 or W10 (targeting windows versions instead of builds)
      My Computer

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 22,791
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    yesir360 said:
    Thanks for mentioning your experiences. I also do feel like I've been getting way more ads than non ads. I suppose it is a pretty effective way to put out ads.
    Also, if the target release version is the one with 21H1 and similar, I did set that for a while now. Not sure if there's a separate one for W11 or W10 (targeting windows versions instead of builds)
    The only noticeable difference in Windows 11 is that the clock is in the middle near the top. It seems to get the same mix of ads and info, in about the same proportions.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums