Changing System Tray Icons in Windows 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. CharlesMG's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    Changing System Tray Icons in Windows 10


    Hi, I looked around but it seems like the old tools such as CustomizerGod don't work with Windows 10 20H2 for changing system tray icons to custom ones. Anyone has any recommendation to either the way to manually swap them or a tool which does work with the latest Windows 10 releases?

    Thanks
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,287
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    Don't think many of the icons in the Notification Area [renamed from System Tray some time back, maybe before Win10 came out] can be changed or customized but might check some of the pages about it found by an Internet Search. Most of those on my computers are by Windows, only a couple from third-party programs.
    notification area at DuckDuckGo
      My Computers

  3. CharlesMG's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for the reply. I have browsed through the net and I haven't managed to find any solution what works with the latest Win 10. As a correction, I am looking to change the Windows 10 system icons within the Notification Area (e.g. notification centre, battery, wifi, volume, dropdown chevron, windows in workspace etc..).
      My Computer

  4. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,287
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #4

    For the changes desired/described I'd think the only way would be to rewrite Windows which usually voids the license to use. But then I most likely missed the need to make the changes. Nice thing about open-source/free Linux is that anyone can use the base to create their own system.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,528
    Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
       #5

    Hi CharlesMG, welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you prefer the old style Volume Control or care to just tweak icon sizes on the Desktop and/or Taskbar, check out Winaero Tweaker. It has many other useful Tweaks, complete with how to DIY directions for many.

    Download Winaero Tweaker

    I use ClickMonitorDDC for volume and brightness control. It provides a simple numeric display that can be adjusted using a mouse-over with scroll.

    Download ClickMonitorDDC - MajorGeeks


    Changing System Tray Icons in Windows 10-0503-clickmonitor-ddc.jpg
      My Computer

  6. CharlesMG's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Berton said:
    For the changes desired/described I'd think the only way would be to rewrite Windows which usually voids the license to use. But then I most likely missed the need to make the changes. Nice thing about open-source/free Linux is that anyone can use the base to create their own system.
    Agree. Linux is the best. I do use Linux on the side but unfortunately as of 2021 Microsoft Windows is the most supported and compatible OS out there by any B2C vendor and software maker, therefore I cannot make the full leap to Linux.

    - - - Updated - - -

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Hi CharlesMG, welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you prefer the old style Volume Control or care to just tweak icon sizes on the Desktop and/or Taskbar, check out Winaero Tweaker. It has many other useful Tweaks, complete with how to DIY directions for many.

    Download Winaero Tweaker

    I use ClickMonitorDDC for volume and brightness control. It provides a simple numeric display that can be adjusted using a mouse-over with scroll.

    Download ClickMonitorDDC - MajorGeeks


    Changing System Tray Icons in Windows 10-0503-clickmonitor-ddc.jpg
    I do use Winaero but it doesn't have this feature as of now. I want to change the icons itself, I have no issues with their functionality. However, thanks for the tip on ClickMonitorDDC, I will check it out.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,528
    Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
       #7

    CharlesMG said:
    I do use Winaero but it doesn't have this feature as of now. I want to change the icons itself, I have no issues with their functionality. However, thanks for the tip on ClickMonitorDDC, I will check it out.

    You're most welcome.

    The light level in the room in which I use my laptop is in a constant state of change. I like the simplicity of placing the mouse cursor over the numeric display and scrolling to a new setting. I can often just scroll to a set numeric value at different light levels or time of day.
      My Computer

  8. CharlesMG's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Hi CharlesMG, welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you prefer the old style Volume Control or care to just tweak icon sizes on the Desktop and/or Taskbar, check out Winaero Tweaker. It has many other useful Tweaks, complete with how to DIY directions for many.

    Download Winaero Tweaker

    I use ClickMonitorDDC for volume and brightness control. It provides a simple numeric display that can be adjusted using a mouse-over with scroll.

    Download ClickMonitorDDC - MajorGeeks


    Changing System Tray Icons in Windows 10-0503-clickmonitor-ddc.jpg
    I do use Winaero but it doesn't have this feature as of now. I want to change the icons itself, I have no issues with their functionality. However, thanks for the tip on ClickMonitorDDC, I will check it out.
      My Computer

  9. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,815
    Windows 10
       #9

    Customizergod doesn't work anymore cuz 90% of the resources have been moved to other dll's or resource packages.
      My Computer

  10. CharlesMG's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    W10 Tweaker said:
    You're most welcome.

    The light level in the room in which I use my laptop is in a constant state of change. I like the simplicity of placing the mouse cursor over the numeric display and scrolling to a new setting. I can often just scroll to a set numeric value at different light levels or time of day.
    To return your favour here is a tip to automate your screen brightness. If your laptop/pc doesn't have a light sensor inside it. I use an android tablet with docking capability as a smart home controller. It usually sits on my desk docked and I use it to automate things across my PC, Android and other smart devices. You can leverage your android phone's light sensor to adjust automatically the brightness of your PC's screen. Here is a well-written guide on how to sync Windows and Android for automation.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums