System tweaks keep undoing on restart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. WinTenUser's Avatar
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    System tweaks keep undoing on restart


    Having some trouble making some tweaks stay put. Seems that after I reboot, they revert back to defaults!

    The system I have is a hp stream laptop with Windows 10 Home OEM.
    The hard drive is a mere 30GB onboard chip.
    When windows is installed, it leaves a mere 9GB to add programs/update windows/etc...

    I wanted to force all documents to go to a 64GB smart disk...Downloads/Pictures/Documents/Videos/Music.
    System tweaks keep undoing on restart-documents-location.jpg
    I changed them all to D?:… and they just revert back on reboot.

    Also changing the default location of the TEMP/TMP files does the same thing.
    System tweaks keep undoing on restart-envvariables.jpg

    Any clues?
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,961
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    You could try using the Location tab (rt click, Properties) as per the relevant tutorials, but note there is risk here: in the tutorials it warns 'make a system image' (disk image).

    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

    It's all too easy to get this wrong, and make a mess of things.

    Apps:
    Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10
      My Computers

  3. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,667
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #3

    I have 32GB system drive, so I have moved some folders as well, no problems here.

    Code:
    rem Move Desktop
    md "Z:\Desktop"
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    
    rem Move Documents
    md "Z:\Documents"
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    
    rem Move Downloads
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{7D83EE9B-2244-4E70-B1F5-5393042AF1E4}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    
    rem Move Pictures
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    
    rem Move Videos
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{35286A68-3C57-41A1-BBB1-0EAE73D76C95}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    
    rem Temp Folders to RAMDisk
    reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TEMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TMP" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP" /f
      My Computer

  4. WinTenUser's Avatar
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    dalchina said:
    You could try using the Location tab (rt click, Properties) as per the relevant tutorials, but note there is risk here: in the tutorials it warns 'make a system image' (disk image).

    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

    It's all too easy to get this wrong, and make a mess of things.

    Apps:
    Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10
    Yes, I did exactly these things as your links suggest....

    - - - Updated - - -

    TairikuOkami said:
    I have 32GB system drive, so I have moved some folders as well, no problems here.

    Code:
    rem Move Desktop
    md "Z:\Desktop"
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "Desktop" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Desktop" /f
    
    rem Move Documents
    md "Z:\Documents"
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\Documents" /f
    
    rem Move Downloads
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{7D83EE9B-2244-4E70-B1F5-5393042AF1E4}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Downloads" /f
    
    rem Move Pictures
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Pictures" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Software\Temp\Pics" /f
    
    rem Move Videos
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{35286A68-3C57-41A1-BBB1-0EAE73D76C95}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    rem reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Movies" /f
    
    rem Temp Folders to RAMDisk
    reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TEMP" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Environment" /v "TMP" /t REG_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP" /f
    This looks easy.......but....
    The entries for dealing with the TEMP/TMP folder loacations is a bit perplexing.

    Code:
    rem TempFolders to RAMDisk reg add"HKCU\Environment"/v "TEMP"/t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP"/f reg add"HKCU\Environment"/v "TMP"/t REG_SZ /d "Z:\TEMP"/f
    Am I right to assume that you are using a different drive "Z" for the TEMP & TMP folder locations? It also appears that they are located in the same TEMP folder and are not separate. Would it be save to say that the following code would do this also?

    Code:
    rem TempFolders to RAMDisk reg add"HKCU\Environment"/v "TEMP"/t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\USER_TEMP"/f reg add"HKCU\Environment"/v "TMP"/t REG_SZ /d "D:\WINDOWS_TMP"/f
    This would create Temporary folders called USER_TEMP & WINDOWS_TMP on the D: drive that represent the separate folders that are what the OS uses?

    Thanks
      My Computer

  5. Porthos's Avatar
    Posts : 881
    Win 10
       #5

    You are not going to ever make room on that drive for feature updates. It could be completely blank except for Windows only and it will still fail.
      My Computers

  6. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,961
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #6

    Whilst for feature updates you can manually download the iso to a different drive, then mount and use that, you still need enough working and free space on your system disk- allowing e.g. for the creation of Windows.old

    There is a tutorial on saving space on C: and compressing the OS (yours probably already is). There are also plenty of examples of threads showing users struggling to deal with these systems with very restricted space if you want more pointers.
      My Computers

  7. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,667
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #7

    WinTenUser said:
    Would it be save to say that the following code would do this also?
    Yes, it will do.

    dalchina said:
    Whilst for feature updates you can manually download the iso to a different drive, then mount and use that, you still need enough working and free space on your system disk- allowing e.g. for the creation of Windows.old
    Even with the ISO, an upgrade will fail. I had 40GB partition and 30GB free space and it still failed.
    After clean setup, I have 895MB free space left, till I disable reserve storage to get another 7GB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails System tweaks keep undoing on restart-untitled.jpg  
      My Computer

  8. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,961
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #8

    Any upgrade can fail for a variety of reasons, as you know- unless you definitely know it failed on the grounds of lack of free space on C: of course.
      My Computers

  9. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,667
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #9

    Yes, the error code was for an insufficient space, but I have not tried it since, maybe it would work now.
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,961
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #10

    Is your OS compressed? Mine isn't, Windows e.g. is 23Gb. I would have thought after a clean install other things would take significantly less... and no way do you have space for anything much let alone an upgrade..
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums