Program a file to start when computer wakes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. pxfragonard's Avatar
    Posts : 60
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
       #1

    Program a file to start when computer wakes?


    I have an old windows media center remote control that still works in windows 10. I like to use it to play music from bed. When I can't sleep and want to listen to music, I can wake the computer by remote control and when I do, I'd like a playlist to start VLC and start to play it on waking. Right now I can just remember to open it before bed and put the computer to sleep and it works if I wake up but just for kicks, I'd like to program it to run on waking. I looked at Task Scheduler and it doesn't seem that any of the choices in the trigger dropdown list fit the bill exactly. On an event seems the best choice but waking isn't in the log list and I don't know what Source to use or event ID. Any ideas?
      My Computers

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,108
    windows 10
       #2

    You can use cmdline with lots of options like play a folder save a a .cmd file lots of options command line - How to play a folders worth of music/video in VLC media player - Super User
      My Computer

  3. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,626
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #3

    You can use Event viewer to run a task [it uses Task scheduler to do this] when a specific 'Event' happens such as WakeUp.
    Program a file to start when computer wakes?-event-viewer-wakeup-log.png

    The diagram shows the parameters you'll need to set up a 'Custom view' for WakeUp Events** and then you need to click on 'Attach task to this event' {in the bottom right hand corner of the Event viewer window}. You'll then be able to see the task in Task scheduler ['Task scheduler library' section] where you'll be able to alter any of its settings that you want such as adding the path to your remote controller in its 'Action' settings

    ** You can unzip then import the attached Custom view definition to save your having to set up the Custom view yourself.WakeupLog.zip - Import Custom view is shown in the top right of the Event viewer window [missed in my diagram].

    I am concerned that this is going to look overwhelming so
    1 Import the attached Custom view definition then post back with as many questions as you want, then
    2 Attach a task to this event & post your questions, then
    3 Set up properties for the task in Task scheduler then post your further questions.

    Denis
      My Computer

  4. pxfragonard's Avatar
    Posts : 60
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Try3 said:
    You can use Event viewer to run a task [it uses Task scheduler to do this] when a specific 'Event' happens such as WakeUp.
    Program a file to start when computer wakes?-event-viewer-wakeup-log.png

    The diagram shows the parameters you'll need to set up a 'Custom view' for WakeUp Events** and then you need to click on 'Attach task to this event' {in the bottom right hand corner of the Event viewer window}. You'll then be able to see the task in Task scheduler ['Task scheduler library' section] where you'll be able to alter any of its settings that you want such as adding the path to your remote controller in its 'Action' settings

    ** You can unzip then import the attached Custom view definition to save your having to set up the Custom view yourself.WakeupLog.zip - Import Custom view is shown in the top right of the Event viewer window [missed in my diagram].

    I am concerned that this is going to look overwhelming so
    1 Import the attached Custom view definition then post back with as many questions as you want, then
    2 Attach a task to this event & post your questions, then
    3 Set up properties for the task in Task scheduler then post your further questions.

    Denis
    Boom! Works like a charm and took little time. Super, Denis. Thanks a bunch.
      My Computers

  5. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,626
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #5

    My pleasure entirely. Denis
      My Computer

  6. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,340
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #6

    I have the following scheduled task (PPPoE connection), which will be run as soon as my PC wakes up.

    Program a file to start when computer wakes?-ts-settings.jpg
      My Computer

  7. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,626
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #7

    Matthew,

    Yes, that event happens about 4-5 secs before the event I monitor.

    Denis
      My Computer

  8. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,340
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #8

    Try3 said:
    about 4-5 secs
    It is a very long time! How could you wait for so long?
      My Computer

  9. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,626
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #9

    I chose the event I did because it provides the reason for the wakeup and that is what I was interested in seeing.

    I normally make a pot of tea before I start doing anything anyway so the 5 secs gets used while I'm standing up & walking to the kettle.
    - Earl Grey for general computer use, or
    - peppermint if I know whatever I'm about to do will fill the swearbox.

    Denis
      My Computer

  10. pxfragonard's Avatar
    Posts : 60
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Samuria said:
    You can use cmdline with lots of options like play a folder save a a .cmd file lots of options command line - How to play a folders worth of music/video in VLC media player - Super User
    Thanks. I could just use this to launch a playlist on my desktop.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Matthew Wai said:
    I have the following scheduled task (PPPoE connection), which will be run as soon as my PC wakes up.


    Program a file to start when computer wakes?-ts-settings.jpg
    That didn't work for me. I tried Event 1 also (for wake up). Neither worked out. System/Kernel-Power/Event ID: 131 (and 1).
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums