Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?

  1. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 586
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?


    Hi. I use Windows picture viewer as my default picture viewer. I noticed after updating W10 to version 1903, that now, the background color that surrounds the picture that we are viewing is in white. I find the white color as background very annoying.


    I dont recall exactly what the color was before but I think it was dark, perhaps black. I dont remember but I liked what it was. Is there anyway to get the old background color back?

    This is what I am seeing now.

    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?-duane.jpg

    Bo
      My Computer

  2. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 465
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909
       #2

    Settings, Personalization, Colors, Choose your default app mode, Dark instead of Light?
      My Computer

  3. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,429
    Windows 10
       #3
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,221
    10 Home x64 (1909) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    bo elam said:
    I noticed after updating W10 to version 1903, that now, the background color that surrounds the picture that we are viewing is in white. ... I dont recall exactly what the color was before but I think it was dark...

    It's light grey actually and no, it was the same in 1809 (and earlier). In fact Photo Viewer has been the same since Windows 7, as shown in the screenshot below.

    The control bar at the bottom is the only part you can change easily, it is always the same colour as the title bar (and that you can change in Windows). There are no settings to change the background colour, so you may have used a 3rd-paty app or a registry tweak to change it. The upgrade to 1903 would likely have set that back to default.

    Registry tweak tutorial here: TenForums | Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows


    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?-photo-viewer-w7.png
      My Computers

  5. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 586
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Appreciate all the replies, thank you.

    Bree said:
    It's light grey actually and no, it was the same in 1809 (and earlier). In fact Photo Viewer has been the same since Windows 7, as shown in the screenshot below.

    The control bar at the bottom is the only part you can change easily, it is always the same colour as the title bar (and that you can change in Windows). There are no settings to change the background colour, so you may have used a 3rd-paty app or a registry tweak to change it. The upgrade to 1903 would likely have set that back to default.

    Registry tweak tutorial here: TenForums | Change Windows Photo Viewer Background Color in Windows
    Bree, you are right. I started my W7 to see how pictures look, and the background color was the same as it is now in my W10 1903. So, whats annoying me is not the light gray color of the background but the color of "The control bar at the bottom" which is not blueish. So, what I need to change is to make the title bar and the control bar at the bottom light or darker blue. Can this be changed without affecting the rest of the computer?

    I don't recall making changes in colors in Settings in the past, what would you or anyone else recommend for me to try (no 3rd party program), what setting should I change? How WPV looks in the picture you posted is basically what I want.

    Bo
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,221
    10 Home x64 (1909) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    bo elam said:
    ... whats annoying me is not the light gray color of the background but the color of "The control bar at the bottom" which is not blueish. So, what I need to change is to make the title bar and the control bar at the bottom light or darker blue. Can this be changed without affecting the rest of the computer?
    In Personalization you already have an 'accent color' set, it's used for the default color of the tiles in Start and to highlight any text you select amongst other things. Your title bar (and hence the bar at the bottom of Photo Viewer) is not using the accent color so it is currently white. You can set the accent color to be used on all titles bars, then the Photo Viewer will follow suit.


    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?-image.png

    Customize background color in Windows picture viewer, How?-image.png
      My Computers


  7. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 586
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thanks Bree. I did see and test that setting at the bottom of the picture you posted. The problem I have with it is that it also changes the title bar in Windows. I like Windows title bar in white. I am going to leave things alone and get used to the way WPV is now.

    Something must of changed in 1903 because my Windows title bar has always being white/light and my WPV control bar at the bottom and title bar was not white but blueish. When I opened one picture to test WPV after installing 1903, it shocked me.what I saw. I didnt know what it was but I knew something was not as I am used to.

    Bo
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,221
    10 Home x64 (1909) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    bo elam said:
    ... my Windows title bar has always being white/light and my WPV control bar at the bottom and title bar was not white but blueish. When I opened one picture to test WPV after installing 1903, it shocked me.what I saw. I didnt know what it was but I knew something was not as I am used to.
    I can only think that was due some long-forgotten registry tweak. As far as I can recall, mine has always been the same color as the title bar.
      My Computers

  9. bo elam's Avatar
    Posts : 586
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:
    I can only think that was due some long-forgotten registry tweak. As far as I can recall, mine has always been the same color as the title bar.
    I never changed anything myself in the registry or used another program to do it. I dont know, I ll get used to it.

    Bo
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums