Windows 10: Can I copy the theme from Windows 8 or get an identical one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    02 Aug 2015 #1

    Can I copy the theme from Windows 8 or get an identical one?


    Hello!

    I think the theme changes from 8 to 10 suck. The taskbar is too dark, the constantly light titlebar is wretched.
    I found a tool (winaero) to add colored titlebars but they're not the same. I had firefox using the titlebar color. Which looked nice because it changed colors with the wallpaper/taskbar. But with this tool or this theme it doesn't work, the skin always stays grey.
    Even worse that the taskbar picks a different color (if I set it to have one to not be so horribly dark). So I sometimes end up with a blue taskbar and red titlebars...

    So all in all I want the 8 theme back if possible.

    Here's the difference between how firefox looks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff-uipcoj4.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	27869 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win10-colorw4kke.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	27868
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,847
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       02 Aug 2015 #2

    Hello Avada, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you like, you might see how this below may work for you.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    02 Aug 2015 #3

    Okay so I tried copying. Copied them to the user theme folder, but for some reason they show up as copies of the default win 10 themes... (I changed the path in the [VisualStyles] section to the appropriate one.)

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Avada, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you like, you might see how this below may work for you.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

    Thanks for the tip I'll have a look.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Aug 2015 #4

    If anyone's interested here are the files that I failed with:

    w8Themes-fail.zip
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    02 Aug 2015 #5

    When you're using the colorized version of the Windows 10 theme, what don't you look about it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Aug 2015 #6

    Preppy said: View Post
    When you're using the colorized version of the Windows 10 theme, what don't you look about it?
    You mean what don't I like? The things I mentioned in the OP. Plus the taskbar still stays too dark.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       02 Aug 2015 #7

    The aero theme in your zip still has the name parameter
    DisplayName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\themeui.dll,-2013

    That's probably why the names are duplicates.

    Try creating a new and slightly different (change one sound) theme on win8, save the theme with a unique name (w08-w10THM).

    Copy the new theme (w08-w10) to Win10 and double click it to open / import it (I think that should work).

    Not everything will match exactly, but you can get close.

    Here are two shortcuts to the Win8 style Control panel cmdlets for color if you want to play with that.
    cplColor.zip
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    03 Aug 2015 #8

    Slartybart said: View Post
    The aero theme in your zip still has the name parameter
    DisplayName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\themeui.dll,-2013

    That's probably why the names are duplicates.

    Try creating a new and slightly different (change one sound) theme on win8, save the theme with a unique name (w08-w10THM).

    Copy the new theme (w08-w10) to Win10 and double click it to open / import it (I think that should work).

    Not everything will match exactly, but you can get close.
    Thanks for the tip. (As soon as I can get my hand on a win8 machine I'll try it.)
    Although not only the names were duplicates. They also looked the same as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by avada; 03 Aug 2015 at 04:47.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    03 Aug 2015 #9

    Slartybart said: View Post
    The aero theme in your zip still has the name parameter
    DisplayName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\themeui.dll,-2013

    That's probably why the names are duplicates.

    Try creating a new and slightly different (change one sound) theme on win8, save the theme with a unique name (w08-w10THM).

    Copy the new theme (w08-w10) to Win10 and double click it to open / import it (I think that should work).

    Not everything will match exactly, but you can get close.

    Here are two shortcuts to the Win8 style Control panel cmdlets for color if you want to play with that.
    cplColor.zip
    Okay I did it. (Changed the reference to the aero msstyles from win8 )
    No joy. I got the white titlebar, the taskbar is also the same. We're missing something...
    Here's the theme file:
    win8-for-win10.zip
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       03 Aug 2015 #10

    I've exhausted what I can think of that might help.

    This tutorial might help, download the aerolite.zip file and see if that gets you closer to the theme you want.
    Color of Window Borders and Title Bars - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    There are some things that won't directly carry over. You could try editing the theme file (xml coding) and set the attributes manually. I'm not that familiar with Themes, but you can look at the standard themes (especially the High contrast ones where the metrics are defined) and create a new theme.

    Copy an existing theme that has most of the things set the way you want them.
    Here's a technical reference for themes:
    Themes

    It's not that hard and once you look at some themes the reference becomes clearer.

    Another member, Edwin, has done extensive modification and testing with themes. He usually points to the same tutorial I posted above.

    That's all I have
    Maybe another member has more suggestions ... don't give up yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Customization Change Theme in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change your Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the desktop background, colors, sounds, screen saver, and pointers on your PC all at once, and you can...
How to Copy Region and Language Settings to Welcome Screen and New User Accounts in Windows 10 After Windows is installed, its main language is the language of the install media used. If no additional language packs will be installed, the main...
Solved Free Windows 10 Copy in Windows Updates and Activation
How do I get signed up for my free 10 copy? I haven't gotten a prompt to register for it on my 7 install but I don't run it much. Does that come as an update? I've installed the latest updates. Also my 10 insider preview isn't updating past build...
Source FAQ - Windows 10 FAQ Tips - Microsoft See tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6607-reserve-free-upgrade-get-windows-10-windows-7-8-1-a.html
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.
Find Us