Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    06 Aug 2015 #21
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 32
    OpenBSD

    Have started another thread here:

    Windows 10 Classic Theme - Super User
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Aug 2015 #22
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 32
    OpenBSD

    I guess it's with some sense of nostalgia that I want the classic theme back, similar to how I feel when I see MacOS Classic or SGI Irix.

    There's also a wave of calm that sweeps over me when I see a UI that doesn't try too hard to fit in. That doesn't try to please the endless hordes of hipsters and gamers whom, while they certainly love to hate on others, wouldn't know how to design something proper themselves even if their lives depended on it.

    Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for properly designed flat interfaces, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice ones in Windows 10 -- but the classic theme is an important part of human history, and users should at least be given the option to try it even if it's just for historical / educational purposes, or simply nostalgia.


    Perfection is achieved, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irix-3.3-img2.gif 
Views:	29 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	29014

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png 
Views:	564 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	29016
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Aug 2015 #23
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    Well you'll find a solution to the right-click menu problem in the ThinkPad Forums thread. Credit goes to IBMPad:
    Quote Originally Posted by IBMPad on forum.thinkpads.com
    For the context menu problem, try to add this registry value (DWORD) :
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlightedFeatures\ImmersiveContextMenu = 0
    Now all we need is a fixed taskbar, and the classic theme will work just as well as it did in Windows 8.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Aug 2015 #24
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 32
    OpenBSD

    Regarding How can I make Windows 8 use the classic theme? - Super User -- which of the 3 methods did you guys use?

    I tried the first one and it broke my Windows.

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Aug 2015 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldows95 View Post
    Regarding How can I make Windows 8 use the classic theme? - Super User -- which of the 3 methods did you guys use?

    I tried the first one and it broke my Windows.

    Thanks!
    Really? That's kind of surprising to hear, because that's the method I use, and I've never had it break my Windows. If you're running Windows 10, try renaming it to ClassicThemeA.exe and see how it works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Aug 2015 #26
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldows95 View Post
    I guess it's with some sense of nostalgia that I want the classic theme back, similar to how I feel when I see MacOS Classic or SGI Irix.

    There's also a wave of calm that sweeps over me when I see a UI that doesn't try too hard to fit in. That doesn't try to please the endless hordes of hipsters and gamers whom, while they certainly love to hate on others, wouldn't know how to design something proper themselves even if their lives depended on it.

    Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for properly designed flat interfaces, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice ones in Windows 10 -- but the classic theme is an important part of human history, and users should at least be given the option to try it even if it's just for historical / educational purposes, or simply nostalgia.

    Perfection is achieved, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irix-3.3-img2.gif 
Views:	29 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	29014

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png 
Views:	564 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	29016
    Those old Mac themes were awesome, IMO. I loved the platinum theme from OS8/OS9.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Aug 2015 #27
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 32
    OpenBSD

    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Really? That's kind of surprising to hear, because that's the method I use, and I've never had it break my Windows. If you're running Windows 10, try renaming it to ClassicThemeA.exe and see how it works.
    You on Home or Pro? I tried it on Home which I've since come to learn lacks a lot of stuff so...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Aug 2015 #28
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldows95 View Post
    You on Home or Pro? I tried it on Home which I've since come to learn lacks a lot of stuff so...
    Oh, well I'm on Pro, so maybe that has something to do with it. But that's still kind of surprising to me, given how Windows works the same in both versions. What exactly happened that broke your system?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Aug 2015 #29
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro

    bulldows95, did you also disable DWM? Because that does have potential to break Windows, but I can't imagine how ClassicTheme.exe would.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Aug 2015 #30
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 32
    OpenBSD

    Nope, I kept DWM if I recall correctly.

    If others could confirm that ClassicTheme.exe doesn't work on Windows Home edition, that would be great.

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Customization Add Personalize (classic) context menu in Windows 10
How to Add or Remove Personalize (classic) context menu in Windows 10 Personalization includes your account's theme settings, desktop background, color and appearance, sounds, screen saver settings, desktop icon settings, mouse pointers,...
Tutorials
Windows 7 Classic Games -- they work fine on W10.
Hi there Lovers of Spider solitaire, Hearts etc from W7 work just fine on W10. Just re-install. Cheers jimbo
Gaming
Microsoft Removes Classic Theme Support in Windows 10 Build 10074
Source
Windows 10 News
Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10
Ver.4.20 Classic Shell
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:45.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums