Windows 10: How can I remove the ‘button’ close to the right edge of the taskbar?

  1.    31 Jul 2015 #1

    How can I remove the ‘button’ close to the right edge of the taskbar?


    Hello everyone, I need your help,

    I’m talking about the right edge of the taskbar, separated next to the time by a vertical line (in red in the image):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10_Desk.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	27079

    It seems to be a desktop button, because clicking on it, hides all the open windows, to reveal only the desktop (wallpaper).

    I don’t need it, and I find it disturbing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jul 2015 #2

    I've been using Win 10 for ten months now as a tester and didn't even know that was there. Can't imagine it causing anyone problems though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       31 Jul 2015 #3

    It's the show desktop button and the control used to be in Taskbar properties. Win10 is moving a lot of things into Settings, I'll see if I can find that or a tutorial that will remove it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jul 2015 #4

    cbwilsha said: View Post
    I've been using Win 10 for ten months now as a tester and didn't even know that was there. Can't imagine it causing anyone problems though.
    From the print screen images I find online, it seems they added it later, or the print screen images are false. It’s really hard to say.

    I can’t remember it was there when I installed the test version back many months ago. I would probably have noticed it then, because I’m very sensitive with that stuff (call it OCD or whatever).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Jul 2015 #5

    Within Windows, you can unfortunately only disable the option for it to show the desktop whilst hovering over that thin bar (call Peek to preview). Please refer to attached image. Clicking it however will still take you to the desktop.

    A quick google search lead me to this program: Show Desktop Remover

    It was designed for Windows 7, but have try to see if it works in 10.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peek.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	27174
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       31 Jul 2015 #6

    Manolito Mystiq said: View Post
    From the print screen images I find online, it seems they added it later, or the print screen images are false. It’s really hard to say.

    I can’t remember it was there when I installed the test version back many months ago. I would probably have noticed it then, because I’m very sensitive with that stuff (call it OCD or whatever).
    I think Manolito Mystiq just painted the icon red to make it easier to see. The icon is real, thus so is the image.

    Solidcancer07 said: View Post
    Within Windows, you can unfortunately only disable the option for it to show the desktop whilst hovering over that thin bar (call Peek to preview). Please refer to attached image. Clicking it however will still take you to the desktop.

    A quick google search lead me to this program: Show Desktop Remover

    It was designed for Windows 7, but have try to see if it works in 10.
    Excellent find Solidcancer07. I did not find a tutorial here on TF, but looking in the registry I found the x86 and x64 keys that affect the icon. I just didn't get the chance to experiment on modifications. If this works, and I suspect the show or hide options might, that saves me a lot of time and effort.

    +rep just for finding it
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Jul 2015 #7

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I think Manolito Mystiq just painted the icon red to make it easier to see. The icon is real, thus so is the image.

    Excellent find Solidcancer07. I did not find a tutorial here on TF, but looking in the registry I found the x86 and x64 keys that affect the icon. I just didn't get the chance to experiment on modifications. If this works, and I suspect the show or hide options might, that saves me a lot of time and effort.

    +rep just for finding it
    No problem, thanks Also very interesting if your registry suggestion works- keep us posted for sure!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jul 2015 #8

    Thank you, it is gone now.

    EDIT: Cancel that. It first needs to load after a start up (not so elegant). I know that I’m very picky. It appears I need to get used to the button.

    I thank you for your help. I need to learn to accept change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Jul 2015 #9

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I think Manolito Mystiq just painted the icon red to make it easier to see. The icon is real, thus so is the image.
    I meant other print screen images compared to mine (where I painted the button in red, indeed). Some Windows 10 print screens online don’t seem to show that button at all. But they might’ve been from a far older beta version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       31 Jul 2015 #10

    Manolito Mystiq said: View Post
    I meant other print screen images compared to mine (where I painted the button in red, indeed). Some Windows 10 print screens online don’t seem to show that button at all. But they might have been from a far older beta version.
    Understod, funny thing is - I mis-read your post. I thought your comment about the image being false was another member claiming your image was false

    Your assessment is correct, other images might not have the button because there was a time that you could turn it off. I suspect that option might return, but I'll look still at the registry. It's one of those keys that are protected and it looks as though the feature is controlled by a simple numerical value (0 = on, ?=off) - I don't know what the off number would be and I want to test it before posting a registry mod. It will still take me a while
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 The Search box on your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. It also allows you to be able to turn on or off to have Cortana give you suggestions,...
Anyway to make start button list all my applications without having to to click all apps and remove the abc categories?
How to Add or Remove Home Button in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. ...
Before: 7959 After: 7960 Remove Search Icon from Windows 10 Taskbar: 1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor. 2. Now go to following key: ...
Is there a way to remove those two items ? They cover up icons I pin to the taskbar :huh:
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:20.
Find Us