Looking for Old NFL TV Show

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 94
    Windows10
       #1

    Looking for Old NFL TV Show


    Are there any old-timers on this forum who are die-hard football (NFL) fans?

    It sounds like @indianacarnie likes his football...
      My Computer

  2. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 15,162
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #2
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 94
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    To help me find what I'm looking for, you probably need to be at least in your very late 40s or early 50s...
      My Computer

  4. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    Allegheny said:
    Are there any old-timers on this forum who are die-hard football (NFL) fans?

    It sounds like @indianacarnie likes his football...
    Yes I do , what do you need?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 94
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    indianacarnie said:
    Yes I do , what do you need?
    Here is the $10,000 question... (Figuratively, because I'm otherwise broke!)

    When I was a kid, I remember in the late 1970s and early 1980s there were there TV vignettes that would come on, maybe on Saturday afternoons about the NFL...

    I believe they were only maybe 10-20 minutes long, and as I recall, they were sandwiched between other shows.

    The mini shows were about famous events/games in NFL history.

    (Here is the key descriptor...)

    I realize there are billions of shows on NFL history, but here are some things that made them unique...

    1.) Only existed on TV in the late 1970s and early 1980s

    2.) They consisted of footage of famous old NFL games (e.g. "Ice Bowl")

    3.) They usually had sound-bites from the actual players on the field and on the sidelines

    4.) The soundtrack they played often sounded like classic or orchestra type music - it was VERY dramatic

    5.) MOST IMPORTANTLY... The announcer was very old-school, and had a deep, baritone voice that really added drama to these little vignettes.


    For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of these mini-shows, or exactly which TV network I saw them on, or the announcers name, but I would give my right arm to be able to find them and buy them to relive my youth.

    Similar to many things in the modern world, what made these mini TV movies unique was that they were very old-school and focused on the games, the players, and the history, and not on all of the "flash" that consumes modern sports.

    These mini shows were akin to why Black-and-White photography will always be more powerful than "color" or "digital"... Because they focused on the EMOTIONS of the times and not on all the distractions that modern TV and modern NFL suffers from.


    Does any of this ring and bells, and can someone PLEASE help me find what I am recalling from my childhood in my old feeble brain?!

    Whew!!
      My Computer

  6. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #6

    Yes indeed it does ring a bell. Not sure of the exact "volume" you are looking for but I am positive these are what you remember :

    https://www.amazon.com/nfl-films/s?i...%3Anfl%20films

    "Legends of Autumn" is the series you are interested in. John Facenda is the "voice" you remember so well. Thinking they played on all 3 networks (all there were in those days........), but FOR SURE on ABC. Keep in mind that some(all?) of these could be edited down for broadcast length depending on station needs.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 94
    Windows10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    indianacarnie said:
    Yes indeed it does ring a bell. Not sure of the exact "volume" you are looking for but I am positive these are what you remember :
    https://www.amazon.com/nfl-films/s?i...%3Anfl%20films
    "Legends of Autumn" is the series you are interested in. John Facenda is the "voice" you remember so well. Thinking they played on all 3 networks (all there were in those days........), but FOR SURE on ABC. Keep in mind that some(all?) of these could be edited down for broadcast length depending on station needs.
    Carnie, you NAILED IT!!!

    John Facenda is exactly "the voice" I have been looking for (and hoping to one day find) for like the last 20 years!!

    From the bottom of my heart, thank you for helping me to re-capture some of my innocence!!
      My Computer

  8. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #8

    Allegheny said:
    Carnie, you NAILED IT!!!

    John Facenda is exactly "the voice" I have been looking for (and hoping to one day find) for like the last 20 years!!

    From the bottom of my heart, thank you for helping me to re-capture some of my innocence!!
    Glad I could help!
      My Computer

  9. Arelem's Avatar
    Posts : 1,099
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    The old NFL show that they have never released, tape or DVD, is the Football Follies features they did occasionally. I'm not a fan of football, but I remember laughing until my sides hurt watching those. Really wish they would put those out. The NFL would actually get a few bucks of my money.
      My Computer

  10. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,256
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #10

    NFL Films The power and the glory

      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums