The Raspberry Pi Thread [4]

Page 2 of 195 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
  1. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,495
    Windows 10 IoT
    Thread Starter
       #11

    strollin said:
    Not sure what a lightning detector is for. Can't you just look out the window and see that there's lightning or hear the thunder? Maybe it's just to record lightning storms that occur while you're asleep or otherwise unaware.

    Here in California, lightning isn't a big concern. We get lightning but I guess not as severe as other places as we don't have lightning rods or other protective devices.
    A good one will pick it up when its far off in the distance. You may also want it for monitoring a remote site where you don't have eyes on.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 13 Dec 2017 at 06:51.
      My Computer

  2. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,495
    Windows 10 IoT
    Thread Starter
       #12

    New toy on the way, BBC Micro Bit Essentials kit and a 1x10 Micro Pixel Edge Board. Totally free curtesy of Pimoroni. =) A thank you for helping out on their forum. Totally unexpected to I might add. I was chatting with Phil Howard about electronics etc and he asked me if there was anything shiny I'd like to play with. I've been toying with buying one for a while now. Next thing you know I get a shipping receipt.
    https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/microbit
    https://shop.pimoroni.com/collection...-for-micro-bit
      My Computer

  3. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 4,551
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #13

    that's great ,and a kit ,,some places give things away that you then have to buy more stuff to make them work .you would/should have the other stuff to use with it ..I go there first for things I buy ,there one of the best seller and creators ,neck and neck with Adafruit I think .I go to there forums once and awhile and I see you name lot ...enjoy the free toy ,there the best kind ..
      My Computer

  4. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,495
    Windows 10 IoT
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Yeah, I'll have everything I need to fire it up and connect it to a PC for programing and tinkering. I'm going to try and get some of my grand kids to play with it. For those "I'm bored" moments. The Raspberry Pi is a little to much for some of them, they'd just get frustrated and give up. I'm hoping the Micro-Bit is a little more young child friendly. Programing wise anyway.
      My Computer

  5. strollin's Avatar
    Posts : 768
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       #15

    alphanumeric said:
    New toy on the way, BBC Micro Bit Essentials kit and a 1x10 Micro Pixel Edge Board. Totally free curtesy of Pimoroni. =) A thank you for helping out on their forum. Totally unexpected to I might add. I was chatting with Phil Howard about electronics etc and he asked me if there was anything shiny I'd like to play with. I've been toying with buying one for a while now. Next thing you know I get a shipping receipt.
    https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/microbit
    https://shop.pimoroni.com/collection...-for-micro-bit
    Nice!
      My Computer

  6. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 4,551
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #16

    alphanumeric said:
    Yeah, I'll have everything I need to fire it up and connect it to a PC for programing and tinkering. I'm going to try and get some of my grand kids to play with it. For those "I'm bored" moments. The Raspberry Pi is a little to much for some of them, they'd just get frustrated and give up. I'm hoping the Micro-Bit is a little more young child friendly. Programing wise anyway.
      My Computer


  7. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,495
    Windows 10 IoT
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Watched a few Micro Bit You Tube videos. There are a couple of different ways to get it done. Will be fun to play with when it a arrives.
      My Computer

  8. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 4,551
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #18

    interesting kickstarter project , addon board with 5 usb, sound,and network for the pizero
    $15 USB docking hub adds ports to the Raspberry Pi Zero (crowdfunding) - Liliputing
      My Computer

  9. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,179
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #19

    caperjack said:
    interesting kickstarter project , addon board with 5 usb, sound,and network for the pizero
    $15 USB docking hub adds ports to the Raspberry Pi Zero (crowdfunding) - Liliputing
    Except maybe for the price, adding that hardware to the Pi Zero does not make sense because it seems to make the zero chunkier than the Pi 3B. Plus, there's probably no casing that will fit everything in. Pi3 is a better choice. It already has everything plus a meatier CPU.
      My Computer

  10. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,495
    Windows 10 IoT
    Thread Starter
       #20

    I agree, You may as well just buy a Pi 3B? My Pi Zero's are for the most part all running headless. I connect a USB hub while I'm setting them up, but once I'm done I disconnect it again.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 195 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums