Frequent BSOD crashes - DPC Watchdog Violation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free
       #1

    Frequent BSOD crashes - DPC Watchdog Violation


    Hey all, I'm getting frequent DPC Watchdog_Violation BSOD crashes and I just cannot figure out why.

    A bit of background: I bought an ACER Aspirer TC-280 Desktop in March. It ran okay for about a month then it started acting up. I had a ticking hard drive, multiple crashes etc. In Late June/early July, I had the HDD replaced by ACER. It continued to act up so the following week in July I had the entire tower replaced, with an indentical model.

    This second TC-280 is the one currently experiencing frequent crashes. It will often go days without issue, and then have a crash with another one shortly after. The most recent crash was around 3:45 am on the morning of August 25, and one about 1:40 am on the morning of August 23. It almost crashed around 2:30 pm, today August 26 (frozen picture, buzzing sound) but it resolved itself.

    It usually happens when watching videos on the computer. Youtube, from the HDD, doesn't matter. The screen will freeze and the audio will buzz until the blue screen pops up saying the system experienced an issue, and the code is DPC Watchdog Violation. However, it can also happen when doing something benign, for example, I had it freeze when simply scrolling through a text webpage.

    I have done multiple Google searches and checked numerous forums and to try and fix this issue I have tried:

    • Updating display/audio/chipset/etc drivers
    • Changing from HDMI-DVI to DVI-DVI to connect my monitor to the tower because I read that HDMI can cause issues
    • Turning of Fast-start up (I have since turned it back on because it made no difference)
    • Uninstalling Kaspersky (anti-virus) because I read that 3rd party antivirus can cause issues


    The only thing that is constant between this computer and the last that also experienced BSOD crashes is my software (most of which I have used for years on multiple systems without issue) and monitor (again, also been using for years on multiple systems without issue) and I've searched multiple times to see if a monitor can cause this issue and have come up with nothing.

    I followed the steps in the posting instructions and will attach the created zip file. Any help is greatly appreciated with this issue. It is driving me insane and I know I'm going to end up with a corrupted system/HDD if these crashes continue.
      My Computer

  2. axe0's Avatar
    Posts : 14,790
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    warning   Warning
    Programs that claim to update your drivers install either the wrong or corrupted drivers.
    If you have installed any driver with DriverEasy, please remove them as it may cause trouble.

    An easy way to get remove these drivers is by using a restore point prior the installation.


    It seems that your wifi driver is causing the crashes.
    Check Acer for driver updates.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 8
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #3

    axe0 said:
    warning   Warning
    Programs that claim to update your drivers install either the wrong or corrupted drivers.
    If you have installed any driver with DriverEasy, please remove them as it may cause trouble.

    An easy way to get remove these drivers is by using a restore point prior the installation.


    It seems that your wifi driver is causing the crashes.
    Check Acer for driver updates.
    Hey axe0! I only installed the one driver with driver easy and I think it was an audio related one but I've done a system restore just to be safe.

    When you say it's the wifi drive you mean the "Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC" Correct? I've checked the Acer website and there are two wireless LAN drivers listed.

    One is Azurewave 2023.10.415.2015 and the other is Atheros 10.0.0.321. Both have a date of 2016/03/24. Which of these would you recommend? Or does it not really matter?

    Thank you so much for narrowing the issue down too
      My Computer

  4. axe0's Avatar
    Posts : 14,790
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Do you have a custom wifi card installed?
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 8
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #5

    axe0 said:
    Do you have a custom wifi card installed?
    I do not. Everything I have is stock, whatever came with the tower. I bought it from a retailer, I didn't build it myself.
      My Computer

  6. axe0's Avatar
    Posts : 14,790
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    I find it a bit odd that you have a Realtek wifi card installed, but no drivers from Acer for it.
      My Computers

  7. axe0's Avatar
    Posts : 14,790
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Download the wlan driver from Realtek, see if it helps.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 8
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #8

    axe0 said:
    I find it a bit odd that you have a Realtek wifi card installed, but no drivers from Acer for it.
    axe0 said:
    Download the wlan driver from Realtek, see if it helps.
    That does seem strange but I couldn't tell you why that is. I downloaded the zip from Realtek and ran the setup in the folder. Is that correct? And how do I know if it worked?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 38,431
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    This may clear up the confusion about the wireless LAN:

    On the Acer web site the driver is listed as Azurewave.

    However when google is searched with the driver it displays Realtek

    Wireless LAN
    Wireless LAN Driver
    Date:
    2016/03/24
    Version:
    2023.10.415.2015
    Vendor:
    AzureWave
    Size:
    40.6 MB

    wireless 2023.10.415.2015 - Google Search

    Also in this link that was once stamped confidential the last page displays AzureWave and Realtek on the same wireless card:
    file:///C:/Users/aaaaaaa/Downloads/awcb161hb2_v07_std.pdf
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 8
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       #10

    zbook said:
    This may clear up the confusion about the wireless LAN:

    On the Acer web site the driver is listed as Azurewave.

    However when google is searched with the driver it displays Realtek

    Wireless LAN
    Wireless LAN Driver
    Date:
    2016/03/24
    Version:
    2023.10.415.2015
    Vendor:
    AzureWave
    Size:
    40.6 MB

    wireless 2023.10.415.2015 - Google Search

    Also in this link that was once stamped confidential the last page displays AzureWave and Realtek on the same wireless card:
    file:///C:/Users/aaaaaaa/Downloads/awcb161hb2_v07_std.pdf
    Oh

    Oh okay. So how do I do it? Just run the setup file in the folder?
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums