1.    26 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10

    Critical Process Died


    I recently did a clean install of 10130 due to the 10240 build not working properly. Everything is running fine again but I am getting frequent BSODs with the "Critical Process Died" label. Does anyone know a method to find what the root cause of this is? It is becoming frustrating as I have no idea when it will occur and can interrupt me unexpectedly.

    Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by BLToaster; 27 Jul 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Uploaded File
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by BLToaster View Post
    I recently did a clean install of 10130 due to the 10240 build not working properly. Everything is running fine again but I am getting frequent BSODs with the "Critical Process Died" label. Does anyone know a method to find what the root cause of this is? It is becoming frustrating as I have no idea when it will occur and can interrupt me unexpectedly.

    Any help is appreciated!
    Event Viewer, maybe?

    Your experience is unusual, I imagine. 10130 was highly crash prone for me. 10240 is nearly perfect. Some writers (professionals, but not MS employees) have gone so far as to claim that 10240 is the release version.

    I'm not running an AMD graphics card, but I have the impression that Win 10 drivers for them have been an issue. (That's not to demean AMD. I've used their cards over the years, beginning when ATI was a separate company.) I suggest finding threads here that discuss that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    26 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Clean Install

    Since your post was transferred to this Section, you probably did not notice the posting instructions. With this information our experts can more easily determine the cause of your problem
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Event Viewer, maybe?

    Your experience is unusual, I imagine. 10130 was highly crash prone for me. 10240 is nearly perfect. Some writers (professionals, but not MS employees) have gone so far as to claim that 10240 is the release version.

    I'm not running an AMD graphics card, but I have the impression that Win 10 drivers for them have been an issue. (That's not to demean AMD. I've used their cards over the years, beginning when ATI was a separate company.) I suggest finding threads here that discuss that.
    AMD recently updated their driver for Win10 and now actually have a specific download designated for it. Of course it could still be messed but I hope it isn't the main cause as this has not always been the case with the previous builds. Once the full release comes around and MS makes the 10240 .ISO available for download I may do another clean install.

    Here is the event viewer - perhaps you can instruct me what exactly I should be looking for? https://i.imgur.com/FCC11qY.png

    Since your post was transferred to this Section, you probably did not notice the posting instructions. With this information our experts can more easily determine the cause of your problem
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks for this - I've updated it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    There are no dump files in the logs, can you follow BSOD Minidump - Configure to Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums to ensure you're set to record minidumps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Jul 2015 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    There are no dump files in the logs, can you follow BSOD Minidump - Configure to Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums to ensure you're set to record minidumps.
    I've changed my settings so that it automatically does the Minidumps - is that the best method as opposed to what it was already set to with Automatic memory dump?

    So because I didn't have this set up there's not much to do until another BSOD with a minidump now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Jul 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    Minidumps will be collected by the DM Log Collector, others are too large.

    Yeah unfortunately you'll have to wait for another BSOD to grab the dump.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Jul 2015 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Minidumps will be collected by the DM Log Collector, others are too large.

    Yeah unfortunately you'll have to wait for another BSOD to grab the dump.
    Well we had another crash - where do I find the minidump?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Jul 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    29 Jul 2015 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Ah my bad - file is attached here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Runtime Broker Process
Periodically I notice a lot of LAN traffic from my PC and looking at Task Mgr I see it is from Runtime Broker that uses 30% CPU. I've looked at what it is for (intermediary between apps and their use of permissions) but the mystery is that it is...
Network and Sharing
Black Screen after Install the 'Critical Update', Windows 10 Pro 10240
Last night my pc work 100%, I Installed telegram for windows and in the midnight the download of the Critical Update was installed in my Desktop, I restart my computer and when turned on after the bios I get a Black Screen, isn't my fist time: see...
General Support
Critical process died
I received the above message last evening when trying to log onto windows 10.
General Support
Solved Testing 10162 Installer: One critical error and the same of 10147
The 162 release gave me exactly the same error of 10147 Installer: Critical Error/Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in. Sign out now. Harder to get rid of that no end loop in 162. Shut down and taking...
Installation and Upgrade
Critical Error message on boot up - new 10103 install on laptop
I just upgraded my Dell Latitude E6400 from Win7 to Win10 1030 (not clean install). Everything looked good a first and I did the first set of Windows Updates. Shutoff laptop and set aside. I just cam back to it and upon restarting I get an error...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums