Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    17 Jun 2017 #11
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Shouldn't I have something in my ReAgent file? There's nothing there, no Windows RE location, no BCD ID, no recovery image location, no nothing. There should be something there, right? Dropbox - Friday, Jun 16
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Jun 2017 #12
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,722
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    17 Jun 2017 #13
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,722
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    TBO that's getting way beyond my skill level. The thing is your system is UEFI which means your drive is formatted in GPT, not the legacy MBR type. And I'm afraid to mess you system up even more. Let me go ask some friends for help.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    17 Jun 2017 #14
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,722
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Meanwhile to answer you question > Yes, there should be a lot of files in your ReAgent folder if this is the same folder. If it is, is yours empty?

    Attachment 140018
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    17 Jun 2017 #15
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,722
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Have you tried looking for a rescue disk or other support here?

    Error
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    17 Jun 2017 #16
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 4,630
    Win10 Pro

    Restore points and the built in back up in 10 are unreliable at best as you learned.

    As it was suggested earlier in this thread, I think a clean install is the way out of this mess now.
    To me it looks like everything else you tried so far has only made more of a mess.

    Do the clean install correctly, there is a tutorial here on exactly how to do it.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Then, use Macrium Free version to make weekly back ups to an external drive,
    also make a Macrium Recovery USB or DVD in case you have a problem in the future.
    The external drive must be disconnected from the computer all the time unless making
    a new back up.
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    17 Jun 2017 #17
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,811
    W10Prox64

    Hi.
    Just reading through here.
    So the Yoga came with W8.1Pro, and it's been upgraded to W10Pro.
    Your best bet, as Computiac said, is to clean install W10Pro, using media from MS. Don't enter a key if it asks for one. You really don't want to access the Lenovo recovery partition, and should get rid of it anyway.
    If there is data on there you need, boot again to Kyhi's rescue media and copy it off the drive before installing Windows clean, and make sure you install to a completely un-allocated drive (to get rid of all the messy partitions you don't need).
    p.s. System Restore Points are removed when Windows upgrades to a new major version. This is because it makes a "rollback" available for you for a short period of time.
    (I don't understand how Macrium would mess up your boot - it does just the opposite...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Jun 2017 #18
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Meanwhile to answer you question > Yes, there should be a lot of files in your ReAgent folder if this is the same folder. If it is, is yours empty?

    Attachment 140018
    When I run a command ReAgentc.exe /info from the c:\Windows\System32\ I get

    Code:
    Windows RE status:         Disabled    
    Windows RE location:    
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000    
    Recovery image location:    
    Recovery image index:      0    
    Custom image location:    
    Custom image index:        0
    I feel there should be more info here, like the recovery image location and a valid BCD identifier, an actual number, and not all zeros. When I run the same command on a working computer there is a path to the recovery image. Also, there should be a hidden directory named "Recovery" in c:\Windows\System32\ but I'm missing that as well.

    Yeah, I've tried Lenovo site, but that's a dead end. They will send you a rescue media (by regular mail, no less) only if you're eligible, and apparently I'm not because I didn't get some kind of a flyer with my laptop. I'd have to call customer service to send me the rescue media and I'd need to pay $30 plus shipping, which is, honestly, appalling customer service, and I have no intention of paying for it. Why they can't just let people download it is beyond me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    17 Jun 2017 #19
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,722
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tannalein View Post
    When I run a command ReAgentc.exe /info from the c:\Windows\System32\ I get

    Code:
    Windows RE status:         Disabled    
    Windows RE location:    
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000    
    Recovery image location:    
    Recovery image index:      0    
    Custom image location:    
    Custom image index:        0
    I feel there should be more info here, like the recovery image location and a valid BCD identifier, an actual number, and not all zeros. When I run the same command on a working computer there is a path to the recovery image. Also, there should be a hidden directory named "Recovery" in c:\Windows\System32\ but I'm missing that as well.

    Yeah, I've tried Lenovo site, but that's a dead end. They will send you a rescue media (by regular mail, no less) only if you're eligible, and apparently I'm not because I didn't get some kind of a flyer with my laptop. I'd have to call customer service to send me the rescue media and I'd need to pay $30 plus shipping, which is, honestly, appalling customer service, and I have no intention of paying for it. Why they can't just let people download it is beyond me.
    Well, rescue disks are money maker for them. Computers/pads/phones is a highly competitive, toxic market. i.e. That recovery partition has extra software on it that Lenovo gets money for. Anywho, you should face the fact that you didn't make the recovery disk. Water over the dam > Lesson learned.

    All 0's there means it's empty. I would think whatever you did deleted the files.

    As others have said, a fresh install is the solution here, with or without the recovery partition. If you want to delete that, make a copy of it as simrick suggested.

    Do you have Windows 8 keys by any chance?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    17 Jun 2017 #20
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    Restore points and the built in back up in 10 are unreliable at best as you learned.

    As it was suggested earlier in this thread, I think a clean install is the way out of this mess now.
    To me it looks like everything else you tried so far has only made more of a mess.

    Do the clean install correctly, there is a tutorial here on exactly how to do it.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    Then, use Macrium Free version to make weekly back ups to an external drive,
    also make a Macrium Recovery USB or DVD in case you have a problem in the future.
    The external drive must be disconnected from the computer all the time unless making
    a new back up.
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Yeah, I doubt there's anything other for me to do than a clean install, but at this point, I'd really like to figure out how things work. I haven't had to resurrect an OS since Windows 7, and I'm finding out that a lot of stuff has changed since then. I've learned a lot in the last few days, and it would bug me if I didn't figure this out. Crazy, I know.

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    p.s. System Restore Points are removed when Windows upgrades to a new major version. This is because it makes a "rollback" available for you for a short period of time.
    That's just crazy. How is one to fix things when exactly this happens without restore points? I have "Windows10Upgrade" on my c drive, can I do anything with that?

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    (I don't understand how Macrium would mess up your boot - it does just the opposite...)
    I clicked the "Fix Windows Boot Problems" button, and it went from bad to worse :/. I assume Lenovo has some custom BCD settings that point to the recovery partitions and stuff, but I just can't figure out what they are. And I didn't remember to backup the BCD before running Macrium .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
PC Slowed Since Installing Creators Edition
Yesterday my HP laptop was upgraded to Creators Edition from the prevailing earlier edition (with all updates. Since then my PC seems to have slowed. For example, when I mouse click on anything it takes about a second before the system responds....
Installation and Upgrade
Will the Creators edition help with managing updates
I just upgraded my Home edition to Pro just to try to gain a little control over updates. I've one other Home machine and don't want to spend another $100 to do the same on it. It seems I remember reading some where in this forum that the CU will...
Windows Updates and Activation
Thinkpad X1 Yoga doesn't start when Dock Onelink+ is connected
Dear all, I just received my new Thinkpad X1 Yoga, brand new, with a dock OneLink+ Both are running fine. But it is impossible to start the PC when the dock is connected: The screen freeze at the red square LENOVO display from the Bios,...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Windows 10 won't boot system restore or reset?? Help please
So windows 10 crashed and now it won't boot. It gets past the manufacturer logo (acer) and then I get a black screen with a blinking curser. I used a usb with windows to boot it up but have tried to restore it, but it failed. Reset it , keeping my...
Backup and Restore
Thinkpad E555: Blank screen on first boot post-upgrade to Windows 10
Hi. I installed Windows 10 via thumb drive and on the first restart it came up to a blank screen after the boot options menu flashed briefly. I presume it got stuck in hibernate. I took it to a shop and the tech reverted it to Windows 7 Pro...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums