BSODs trying to update graphics driver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
       #1

    BSODs trying to update graphics driver


    Hello all,

    I have just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 pro. Getting multiple different BSODs including bad pool caller, system thread exception not handled (RTKVHD64.sys), and some others. Dmp files attached. I took a look at the reliability history and saw seagate dashboard was causing a problem - updated that driver. Also saw MediaServer on the list, so I uninstalled TVersity. I'm trying to update my graphics card driver, but I am getting bsod in the middle of updating (first time was system thread exception, second time was bad pool caller). Thanks in advance!
      My Computer

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,253
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #2

    The latest dump indicates a problem with RTKVHD64.sys. This belongs to Realtek Audio Driver.
    The one you have installed is quite old:

    IntcAzAudAdd Service for Realtek 10/30/2012 4:51:36 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys

    Please fill out your System Specs, that may help figure this out.

    How to fill out System Specs for tenforums.
    See here: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

    There is a slightly newer driver on the gigabyte web site for Windows 7, try that one:

    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (rev. 1.1)


    Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA/HDMI Driver in English edition) r2.70 77.39 MB 2013/01/03
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ztruker said:
    The latest dump indicates a problem with RTKVHD64.sys. This belongs to Realtek Audio Driver.
    The one you have installed is quite old:

    IntcAzAudAdd Service for Realtek 10/30/2012 4:51:36 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys

    Please fill out your System Specs, that may help figure this out.

    How to fill out System Specs for tenforums.
    See here: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

    There is a slightly newer driver on the gigabyte web site for Windows 7, try that one:

    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (rev. 1.1)
    Thanks! Will update and report back.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #4

    So I ran the update for the audio driver, it installed, and i restarted "to complete the installation." As windows was booting up, I got a BSOD (RTKVHD64.sys again). Restarted again, and Windows booted fine. Log attached.
      My Computer

  5. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,253
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #5

    Driver date is unchanged so it didn't get updated: 10/30/2012 4:51:36 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys

    Give this a try, see if it solves this problem: Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Ztruker said:
    Driver date is unchanged so it didn't get updated: 10/30/2012 4:51:36 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys

    Give this a try, see if it solves this problem: Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks - downloaded, was in the middle of updating the driver via device manager and i got a BSOD - Bad Pool Caller. Logs attached. How do I get this thing updated without a BSOD?
      My Computer


  7. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,253
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #7

    Try doing a Clean Boot. Then update the driver.

    See here: How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Ztruker said:
    Try doing a Clean Boot. Then update the driver.

    See here: How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts
    Clean boot worked. Downloaded the 2016 drivers through microsoft, and for some reason when I tried to manually update through device manager, it said I am already running the latest version. So I got the executable 2015 drivers from the Realtek website and was able to update to version 6.0.1.7541 6/18/2015.

    When I went to msconfig to re-enable all services (with startup items still disabled) I restarted and got a BSOD - Driver Corrupt Expool (never had this BSOD before). Will try to narrow down which services are causing it. Logs attached.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Thread Starter
       #9

    I just received a new BSOD on windows bootup after restarting, all services enabled all startup items enabled. Audio drivers updated. The error was related to atikmdag.sys, first time this has happened. Video card drivers are already updated. Logs attached.
      My Computer

  10. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,253
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #10

    Please try the latest driver (2016) again. This time uninstall the Realtek driver first.

    The latest dump still indicates a problem with RTKVHD64.sys. It has been updated to Tue Oct 30 05:51:36.

    There is also a new WHQL Realtek driver that was just released: Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version - Page 92 - Windows 10 Forums

    It has a setup.exe you use to install it. Try that instead of updating via Device Manager.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums