Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10

    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and various other BSOD Messages.


    Hello all, I'm very new here so I hope I have followed the rules right!

    I have been having issues non stop with blue screens that seem to always relate to ntoskrnl.exe. I tend to get them every week or so, but i only have 4 logs due to a system restore not too long ago to try and resolve the issue. The Blue screens don't seem to have a set time when they happen, but are more common when gaming.

    I have attached my files below so I hope someone can help me try and locate what the problem is as its a pain to be working on something and suddenly get a blue screen. Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 May 2016 #2

    Welcome aboard, Matty.

    There are a multitude of causes, so there are a multitude of solutions, most of which won't work. Loosely speaking, your Windows kernel was probably overwhelmed by information. Possible cures include checking your drivers to see if you have the latest ones, blowing out your machine with compressed air, and checking Start-up to see if you have unnecessary programs running.

    Your specs show that you have a very powerful rig, but may I ask what was the original operating system?

    And while annoying, a BSOD once a week on a high-tech game might wind up being something you have to live with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 May 2016 #3

    Matty, it took me a while, but I found this in your file:

    The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-0J1F84R) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-0J1F84R on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Upgrade (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80020003
    Shutdown Type: restart

    In other words, you got busted by a Windows update.

    In several places, your log states that Windows did add a new service, so the update was successful.

    There is a minor problem with your Sound Blaster driver, but that's not why Windows shut you down. Find it in Device Manager, and if it is working properly, go to the Events tab and make sure that the driver is installed completely.

    There is another minor problem with one of your files changing size unexpectedly. You might want to run a deep scan with your anti-virus.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 12,952
    Windows 10 Pro

    Hi MattyNinja,

    Welcome to the 10forums

    I recommend reverting back all overclocking from your system while troubleshooting, overclocking can cause several problems either immediately or after a matter of time.
    Code:
    [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 004bh]
      Physical Memory Array Handle  004ah
      Memory Error Info Handle      [Not Provided]
      Total Width                   64 bits
      Data Width                    64 bits
      Size                          8192MB
      Form Factor                   09h - DIMM
      Device Set                    [None]
      Device Locator                ChannelA-DIMM1
      Bank Locator                  BANK 0
      Memory Type                   1ah - Specification Reserved
      Type Detail                   0080h - Synchronous
      Speed                         3000MHz
      Manufacturer                  Corsair
      Serial Number                         
      Asset Tag Number                        
      Part Number                   CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    10 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Massi View Post
    Welcome aboard, Matty.

    There are a multitude of causes, so there are a multitude of solutions, most of which won't work. Loosely speaking, your Windows kernel was probably overwhelmed by information. Possible cures include checking your drivers to see if you have the latest ones, blowing out your machine with compressed air, and checking Start-up to see if you have unnecessary programs running.

    Your specs show that you have a very powerful rig, but may I ask what was the original operating system?

    And while annoying, a BSOD once a week on a high-tech game might wind up being something you have to live with.

    I'm willing to try anything to reduce them, and as you said I might have to live with one a week, which would be fine but sometimes i get 2 in one day, so I don't really want that if possible.

    What is the best way to check my drivers are up to date? check them via device manager?

    And the system is squeaky clean

    The original operating system for this build about a year ago was windows 8.1, but since windows 10 released i upgraded. I then fresh installed windows 10 not too long ago.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Massi View Post
    Matty, it took me a while, but I found this in your file:

    The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-0J1F84R) has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP-0J1F84R on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Upgrade (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80020003
    Shutdown Type: restart

    In other words, you got busted by a Windows update.

    In several places, your log states that Windows did add a new service, so the update was successful.

    There is a minor problem with your Sound Blaster driver, but that's not why Windows shut you down. Find it in Device Manager, and if it is working properly, go to the Events tab and make sure that the driver is installed completely.

    There is another minor problem with one of your files changing size unexpectedly. You might want to run a deep scan with your anti-virus.
    damn windows update my friend actually had similar problems with windows updates causing crashes not too long ago.

    Is windows update the issue for most of the blue screens? if so is there any type of solution to stop this causing me to crash from the updates?

    My sound blaster card is another problem (audio looping through mic randomly) but that's another issue Ill check the device manager, but i have updated this driver in the past and still no avail with it, will check again though.

    I will run deep scans now and report back.

    Again thanks for your time helping me so far! hopefully we can get this resolved so what
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    Hi MattyNinja,

    Welcome to the 10forums

    I recommend reverting back all overclocking from your system while troubleshooting, overclocking can cause several problems either immediately or after a matter of time.
    Code:
    [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 004bh]
      Physical Memory Array Handle  004ah
      Memory Error Info Handle      [Not Provided]
      Total Width                   64 bits
      Data Width                    64 bits
      Size                          8192MB
      Form Factor                   09h - DIMM
      Device Set                    [None]
      Device Locator                ChannelA-DIMM1
      Bank Locator                  BANK 0
      Memory Type                   1ah - Specification Reserved
      Type Detail                   0080h - Synchronous
      Speed                         3000MHz
      Manufacturer                  Corsair
      Serial Number                         
      Asset Tag Number                        
      Part Number                   CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

    Will do for now, the over clocks seemed pretty stable when I was testing as I ran stress tests for long periods of time and no crashes, but will defiantly take them off for now just in case. Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I have removed all my overclocks, checked all of the drivers via the device manager to see if they are upto date, i updated about 4 drivers (one being the soundcard).

    I ran many scans with different software and none of them shown any malware or rootkits.

    What would the next action to take? Wait for a BSOD?


    also regarding the Windows update crash you found is there a way to stop this from happening?

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 May 2016 #8

    Matty, you cannot refuse Windows updates with your Home Edition. However, you can schedule the automatic restart by following these directions.

    How to Schedule Restarts for Updates in Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 May 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 12,952
    Windows 10 Pro

    Wait for a BSOD?
    That one is correct.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    10 May 2016 #10
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I have Windows 10 Pro does that change anything?

    I was thinking the BSOD's were to do with my ram, so i can rule that out now, and the Windows updates is the definite cause for these crashes?


    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    That one is correct.
    I will defiantly update if/when one occurs

    Thanks again for the help both!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bsod irql_not_less_or_equal
Upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday, from Windows 7 Pro. After a couple of hours of usage, I started getting BSODs, more specifically IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I decided to reset the system, but the same problem keeps occurring. I'm thinking it's a...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Bsod irql_not_less_or_equal
Surface pro 4 Core M BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL NTOSKRNL.EXE Any ideas what is causing this ?
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Solved [bsod] irql_not_less_or_equal
So I've had like 4 system crashes in the past 1 hour. Decided I need help and came here. Strangely my old user from W7forums does not work, so here I am with a new user. Anyway, crashes varies, sometimes the moment I see my desktop after a boot...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Various BSOD messages
Over the last few weeks i have been having various BSOD and different messages each time, ranging from BAD_POOL_HEADER KERNEL_SECURITY CHECK FAILURE IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL All of these are preceded with the screen pixels all crashing into lines...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Bsod, irql_not_less_or_equal
I want to ask you for help to find the cause of bsod. Windows 10, random bsod after a few hours of use 35301
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums